Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

HMRC is an absolute clusterfuck.

They'll write and tell you one thing and the next month the opposite.

The year I had to pay it back I'd already done it online nominating to pay it as a one off payment and they then tried to take it from my tax code. Trying to explain that I had cancelled my child benefit the following year as well just threw up so many issues with someone even advising me to keep getting it then pay it back through a tax return every year. Em no thanks pal I want as little dealings with you as possible.

The year I had to pay it back I'd already done it online nominating to pay it as a one off payment and they then tried to take it from my tax code. Trying to explain that I had cancelled my child benefit the following year as well just threw up so many issues with someone even advising me to keep getting it then pay it back through a tax return every year. Em no thanks pal I want as little dealings with you as possible.
They are a nightmare. I was (maybe still am) being chased for a late tax return from about 10 years ago..... despite the fact that I was PAYE and had no other income in the year they demanded. So they estimated that I'd be owe 5k, this despite the fact that in the years I did need to do tax returns I'd actually received rebates as I'd always paid at source etc. Over the next few years I would receive assurance from them over the phone it was an error and then a few months later a nice wee surprise would drop through the door with a demand for the dosh again. I've not heard anything for maybe a couple of years now so hopefully it's finally sorted but it was soul destroying, having to spend hours on the phone to them, provide evidence via mail etc, time and time again.

They are just so arbitrary and no wonder folk end up going around the bend when dealing with them.

Features about Edinburgh without the Festival written by people who aren't Edinburgh natives. For example there was one on the Beeb. They've interviewed 2 street artists (cnuts), some restaurant owners (cnuts) and a couple of tourists (cnuts). No locals have featured who might dare to say that no Festival this year is very refreshing without the streets being clogged with cnuts. 

In one feature there was a guy who came up with a good idea that they only have the Festival three years out of four but that is the only dissenting voice I've seen.

40 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Features about Edinburgh without the Festival written by people who aren't Edinburgh natives. For example there was one on the Beeb. They've interviewed 2 street artists (cnuts), some restaurant owners (cnuts) and a couple of tourists (cnuts). No locals have featured who might dare to say that no Festival this year is very refreshing without the streets being clogged with cnuts. 

In one feature there was a guy who came up with a good idea that they only have the Festival three years out of four but that is the only dissenting voice I've seen.

Just take it away then but no-one will visit you.

8 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Presumably you're self employed? Otherwise, how did that happen? Capital gains? Inheritance tax?

None of the above. It's a long and drawn out story but last year was pretty complicated/out of the ordinary for me in terms of employment  

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The festival is great, it’s just far too busy now. Weird being in Edinburgh during August without it though.

The festival is great, it’s just far too busy now. Weird being in Edinburgh during August without it though.
The Festival is full of mostly dull, pretentious arseholes providing entertainment for other dull, pretentious arseholes.

"Yes Tommi it was great being able to watch a real comedy show in the back of a lorry"

There's some great shows by great creative types but for the most part it's talentless annoying Tarquins.

It used to be interesting when it was a bit left-field and was a showcase for acts most people had never heard of. Now it's just full of middle-class retirees,  and middle-aged English parents on annual leave, letting an AirBnb, and dragging the kids from one Michael McIntyre show to the next mainstream comedian cashing-in.

And yes, as already stated, it's ludicrously oversubscribed. It's gone wrong when all it does is antagonise locals who are just trying to go about their daily routine. It's normal for people who live in midlothian to have to stand and watch pitched battles of festival-goers trying to fight their way onto already full commuter buses, and not at all unusual for three or four to fly past without stopping because they're full of twats on their way to/from Roslin Chapel. Ex-missus worked on the lawnmarket, walked to and from work via the Mile every working day of the year. It became practically impossible for her to just get to/from work for the entire month of August.

43 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Tell you what though there's nothing better than going to a show and there's a well dressed family with 12 year old kids and the comic flat refuses to adjust their act and drops c bombs everywhere for the whole hour.

12 yr olds already know how to swear.

15 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I've seen it happen a few times, it's great fun. Kids lap it up, parents are sat with a rictus grin but their eyes show they're dying inside.

I went to different one, lots of families with kids and the comedian started teasing a 13/14 year old girl with some very sexual jokes and the parents all lapped it up while she went bright red. Seemed it was only me who was fazed by it, and the girl.

Edited by welshbairn