Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

People who set clocks 5/10/15 minutes fast.

My father was an absolute b*****d for this. Usual excuse of 'It means I get where I'm going on time'. The fact that people who weren't aware of this bizarre habit never actually knew what the accurate time was in my parents' house was never given a moments thought. 

Always looked totally nonplussed when I pointed out that he could just set the time on every household clock to the actual fucking time and set off 15 minutes early and achieve the same result without confusing the life out of everybody else... but no... I'm convinced he genuinely believed that he 'saved' time by just looking at the clock and allowing himself to be deceived. I remember he gave me a lift to the station once. I got in the car, looked at the dash, and yup, 15 minutes fast. In the car...:unsure2:

Honourable mention to the current Mrs Khaki, who sets her phone an utterly baffling 22 minutes fast so she 'doesn't sleep in in the morning' ??? :blink:

She also sets alarms for seemingly totally random times. 7:47am being one example. 8:18am another. Oh, and all this results in is her repeatedly hammering the snooze button because she knows the clock is fast, so she sleeps in and ends up running around like a demented version of 'It's a Knockout!' anyway.

Edited by Boo Khaki

The line of thinking that goes into a phrase like "he's got a great first touch for a big man".
Why should tall footballers find it harder to control a ball? It's absolutely lazy bullshit to suggest this. 
What height is Mullarkey? Cos he couldnt trap a bag of cement in a phone box

12 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

People who set clocks 5/10/15 minutes fast.

My father was an absolute b*****d for this. Usual excuse of 'It means I get where I'm going on time'. The fact that people who weren't aware of this bizarre habit never actually knew what the accurate time was in my parents' house was never given a moments thought. 

Always looked totally nonplussed when I pointed out that he could just set the time on every household clock to the actual fucking time and set off 15 minutes early and achieve the same result without confusing the life out of everybody else... but no... I'm convinced he genuinely believed that he 'saved' time by just looking at the clock and allowing himself to be deceived. I remember he gave me a lift to the station once. I got in the car, looked at the dash, and yup, 15 minutes fast. In the car...:unsure2:

Honourable mention to the current Mrs Khaki, who sets her phone an utterly baffling 22 minutes fast so she 'doesn't sleep in in the morning' ??? :blink:

She also sets alarms for seemingly totally random times. 7:47am being one example. 8:18am another. Oh, and all this results in is her repeatedly hammering the snooze button because she knows the clock is fast, so she sleeps in and ends up running around like a demented version of 'It's a Knockout!' anyway.

Should be in the morons thread tbh, not petty at all and fucking moronic.

11 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Pub time. In the days of 2.30pm and 10pm closing a lot of pubs used to have their clock 5 or 10 minutes fast.

True but that was because, back in the 70s, there was no 'drinking up' time in Scottish pubs hence the need to manipulate the clientele.

Came as quite a shock when I moved to London that I didn't have to swill 3 halfs* when time was called but still had another 30 minutes.

56 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Parents of children with the sniffles clogging up virus testing system and then whinging about not being able to get a test. 

Unless I have missed something over the last six months a runny nose has hee haw to do with the pandemic. 

They maybe have a cough also ? 

Maybe a temperature?

I got my home test on Friday, posted it away that day and still havent had my results. Phoned them and they don't know what has happened, but they will call me back later. 

Only issue is I ran out of shit roll last night and this morning I shat. Oh how I shat. 

Leather wipes to the rescue.

13 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Cop dramas or whodunnits which don't have the budget for an all star cast, so the murderer is always the suspect played by an actor who you actually recognise.

Something similar that used to annoy me happened in every single episode of 'Death in Paradise'

About 5 minutes into the episode, a murder would take place, 5 minutes later, the police are all standing in the copshop in front of a whiteboard featuring posed mugshots of  the entire party wearing the outfits they had on in the opening shots, including the victim, very much alive and upright. I concluded that whichever Caribbean Island the series was set on must have a formal policy of pulling arrivals aside at the airport and subjecting them to a photoshoot just in case they happened to become the victim in a murder mystery during their stay.

Edited by Boo Khaki

7 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I concluded that whichever Caribbean Island the series was set on must have a formal policy of pulling arrivals aside at the airport and subjecting them to a photoshoot just in case they happened to become the victim in a murder mystery during their stay.

I think they call it immigration!  

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think they call it immigration!  

Yes on the face of it it appears like there should be a logical explanation.

Typical scenario would be a wedding party, a couple of unrelated guests, hotel staff and owners. You can understand that the police might have gotten photos on arrival of the guests, but why do they also have photos of the indigenous staff and owners, especially when they were quite clearly taken at the exact same time with the exact same equipment, in the exact same location, before any murder,  etc?

I accept I'm totally over thinking it, but I'm a pedant, and it used to annoy f**k out of me because of the sheer ridiculousness of it.