Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Going back to the "Old Firm are international diddies" chat, Motherwell are a team that are constantly brought up when I'm chatting with someone about Scottish Football. People from Iceland, Denmark and a few Germans have mentioned them when we get discussing on the topic. None of them have any good reason for it though, I always ask how they know Motherwell and the only decent claim I've heard is that the name is memorable. 

14 hours ago, 101 said:

Why don't they stick one of these up at Rest and be Thankful? I think it looks great

Screenshot_20200805-202302.jpg

I’ve often wondered whether they’ve considered something along these lines or whether there’s potential to somehow tunnel through the Rest & Be Thankful. Regardless, it seems they better hurry up and give up with their cages and barriers as they clearly aren’t enough, landslides seem to be guaranteed with heavy rainfall and it’s almost pure luck that there hasn’t been vehicles struck by tumbling boulders or washed away by flowing mud and debris.

13 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I got a fair appraisal of global fanbases last summer in Central Asian markets. These places just stock a cross-section of whatever Chinese factories happen to be churning out, which is pretty sensitive to worldwide demand, although the markets might be a few months behind.

It was about 60% Juventus; 15% Real Madrid; 15% Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and PSG; 10% others. Not an OF top in sight.

I don’t think you’ve had a fair appraisal then. There’s a couple of football shirt accounts on Twitter (probably on FB/Insta as well) who are just a couple of examples of suppliers who source their football shirts from Asian manufacturers, some of whom are now delving into the ‘retro’ shirt market as well as current shirts. OF shirts feature heavily from some suppliers and a couple of them have actually had to stop taking orders due to high demand. If you’re on Twitter, have a look at @Kits_UK as an example. You might need to follow them though as they’ve recently set their account to Private whilst they’re temporarily no longer taking orders.

ETA: 👇

1242D072-43F5-4551-BE90-9644BF0DAFB4.jpeg

66012941-8D2B-47A8-8B27-81432DC55B5B.jpeg

3630C88C-608A-4D0E-8907-17A03B59D2E2.jpeg

Edited by 8MileBU

I don’t think you’ve had a fair appraisal then. There’s a couple of football shirt accounts on Twitter (probably on FB/Insta as well) who are just a couple of examples of suppliers who source their football shirts from Asian manufacturers, some of whom are now delving into the ‘retro’ shirt market as well as current shirts.

I'm not on about niche online suppliers selling retro shirts to the UK market via twitter, they are frankly irrelevant when we're talking about global sales, which we are. Sites like that are barely even a rounding error.

The vast majority of football shirt sales in the world are parents with very little disposable income buying cheap knock-offs at the local market. You're not going to find someone buying a Sevco shirt in Kumasi or Fergana.

14 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

I'm well out of touch with trending European gloryhunters, but a little  surprised not to see the Kopite wankers not in the top 5.*

Even foreigners think Scousers are annoying c***s.

15 hours ago, ali_91 said:

The idea that either of them have a worldwide fanbase that compares to Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea or Man City is just fanciful.  

I was in a place called Hua Hin in Thailand in 2012 and it had a Celtic bar equipped with the words “you’ll never walk alone” above the door. I was horrified 

43 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Howling at this.

Can see young lads running around the Asian subcontinent wearing retro ‘Albertz 11,’ tops. 

Delighted for you and it’ll give the moon a well earned break. 

No, I can’t see young lads in Asia running around wearing retro ‘Albertz 11’ tops but then at no point did I say I could.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Going back to the "Old Firm are international diddies" chat, Motherwell are a team that are constantly brought up when I'm chatting with someone about Scottish Football. People from Iceland, Denmark and a few Germans have mentioned them when we get discussing on the topic. None of them have any good reason for it though, I always ask how they know Motherwell and the only decent claim I've heard is that the name is memorable. 

A surprising number of eastern Europeans have heard of Morton solely because they're mad about gambling on the UK leagues and our 'nah you're alright' approach to getting out of the Second Division every season made us one of the best bankers to win on any given week in the mid-2000s, alongside Gretna of course. 

Our record since winning promotion in 2007 has probably contributed to about a 5% drop in their GDP. 

To top off the sheer hypocrisy of the shut road issue, I see today that the Scottish Greens' (teuchter) transport spokesman John Finnie is now shrieking for the SG to 'urgently rejig its roads budget to provide Argyll respite from a 60 mile diversion I wager would not be acceptable anywhere outside the Highlands'. Well yes John, it wouldn't be acceptable anywhere else because the rest of Scotland isn't deluged with huge amounts of rainfall on a regular basis to the same extent as the west Highlands and has also got plenty of viable land with which to build a more practical road rather than a stack of rain-drenched mountains. Secondly, your party has railed against every government road building project for years on the principled basis of its environmental impact, yet here you are pleading for a special exception to be made just so that you can slither back into elected office next year as an 'upstanding local champion'. What a complete and utter arsehole even by the low benchmark set by politicians. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

To top off the sheer hypocrisy of the shut road issue, I see today that the Scottish Greens' (teuchter) transport spokesman John Finnie is now shrieking for the SG to 'urgently rejig its roads budget to provide Argyll respite from a 60 mile diversion I wager would not be acceptable anywhere outside the Highlands'. Well yes John, it wouldn't be acceptable anywhere else because the rest of Scotland isn't deluged with huge amounts of rainfall on a regular basis to the same extent as the west Highlands and has also got plenty of viable land with which to build a more practical road rather than a stack of rain-drenched mountains. Secondly, your party has railed against every government road building project for years on the principled basis of its environmental impact, yet here you are pleading for a special exception to be made just so that you can slither back into elected office next year as an 'upstanding local champion'. What a complete and utter arsehole even by the low benchmark set by politicians. 

I sometimes wish you'd get off the fence and tell us what you really think.

51 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Fun fact from a CPD course several years ago, that site is the only place in Scotland with naturally occurring asbestos.

Best get the right PPE on then or alternatively not go tunnelling through it.

2 hours ago, ali_91 said:

So your point in the discussion about worldwide fanbases was that a small twitter account sells retro Rangers tops to punters from the UK?

Great stuff as ever from your fine self my man. 

Yep, glossed over the man’s post when I was meant to be working and just read some stuff about markets for fake shirts from China. 

I’m not sure it’s been worth you popping up being all virginy about it though.