Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

51 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I got a fair appraisal of global fanbases last summer in Central Asian markets. These places just stock a cross-section of whatever Chinese factories happen to be churning out, which is pretty sensitive to worldwide demand, although the markets might be a few months behind.

It was about 60% Juventus; 15% Real Madrid; 15% Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and PSG; 10% others. Not an OF top in sight.

I'm well out of touch with trending European gloryhunters, but a little  surprised not to see the Kopite wankers not in the top 5.*

*May or may not be posted to see if that Kopite w****r is still lurking about like a bad smell*

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

I suppose it depends on where you are travelling, I’d imagine Europe and North America would have decent number of fans of them (Celtic especially), but out with small pockets, the two most populous countries will almost exclusively be La Liga/English prem/champions league fans.

The idea that either of them have a worldwide fanbase that compares to Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea or Man City is just fanciful.  

Yeah. there'll be a general awareness of who they are and perhaps a mild preference for one or the other based on a player from that country having played for that side, but that doesn't translate into actual support...most of us probably have a team we have a vague soft spot for in most of the more well-known countries, but it's not like that soft spot makes the club any money.

The other one I can never understand is the blind insistence that X's sole European triumph decades ago is any better remembered or celebrated than any other out-of-nowhere Euro cup wins from smaller nations....offhand, can anyone remember all that much about Steaua Bucharest or Mechelen's Euro successes?

Thought not...and they were in the 80s.

By the same token however we're supposed to believe that people in say Helsinki or Tirana talk in hushed tones and can still rhyme off the lineups of the successful Scottish teams of 20 years before that?

I'm well out of touch with trending European gloryhunters, but a little  surprised not to see the Kopite wankers not in the top 5.*

*May or may not be posted to see if that Kopite w****r is still lurking about like a bad smell*

This was only a month or so after their Champions League win, so things will probably be different now. It's a long long time since I remember seeing an Arsenal top on sale outside of Europe though, proper diddies they are.

Anyway, my PTTGOYN is online job applications. I've just spent an hour and a half fannying around with drop-down boxes entering my entire job history, which encompasses a good score of jobs dating back to last century, when I could have just attached a CV. c***s.

My friend from North Macedonia was over last year and she had been asked to get her brother in law a strip from Scotland. We visited Inverness and Aberdeen but I couldn't persuade her to get him a Caley Thistle or Dons strip- the glory hunting Balkan twat wanted a Celtic strip which was bought in a store in Aberdeen to my shame 

Next time I go over there I'll take him an Edinburgh City one and make him wear it!

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

My friend from North Macedonia was over last year and she had been asked to get her brother in law a strip from Scotland. We visited Inverness and Aberdeen but I couldn't persuade her to get him a Caley Thistle or Dons strip- the glory hunting Balkan twat wanted a Celtic strip which was bought in a store in Aberdeen to my shame 

Next time I go over there I'll take him an Edinburgh City one and make him wear it!

That's baring a grudge to the next level.

I have yet to meet anyone over here, and specifically “soccer” fans who know anything about either Celtic or Rangers*

English sides, obviously, Barca, Real, Italian sides, German, Mexican, are known about, but the cheeks? [emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

I got a fair appraisal of global fanbases last summer in Central Asian markets. These places just stock a cross-section of whatever Chinese factories happen to be churning out, which is pretty sensitive to worldwide demand, although the markets might be a few months behind.

It was about 60% Juventus; 15% Real Madrid; 15% Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and PSG; 10% others. Not an OF top in sight.
And this becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Both my kids love football strips and so searching ebay for cheap ones has become a hobby.

But it means i end up getting them a psg neymar strip, or juve Ronaldo strip - just because they're the ones that are £15 all in.

Old firm fans are utterly delusional in thinking they’re a massive global brand. A few of my mates peddle the fact they have supporters clubs all over the world, without realising its 2 or 3 Irish/scots that meet in a specific pub to watch the games.

I was in Singapore with my Celtic supporting mate years back, and he insisted on scouting out the supporters club over there to watch a match. It was 4 guys in the corner of an Irish pub (it sold Guinness and had an Irish flag on the wall) , watching the game on the smallest screen in the place. At the same time, every 3pm premier league game had its own dedicated large screen.

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

To be fair I've met a few random folk in other counties who follow the results of one of the cheeks. Not to the point where they'd actually be of much financial use to the club, but still, the brand has some strength overseas.

And that's not even including the millions of Chinese stoating about in Du Wei shirts.

I was in Amsterdam in 2003 when the final day's matches were on, and pretty much every bar was paying attention to the title race.

Of course this was more to do with the large Dutch connection with Rangers than actually them giving two shits about the OF.

4 hours ago, Shotgun said:

My theory is that whenever these mutants go to Benidorm or Malaga, they're surrounded by Old Firm tops so they mistakenly believe that translates to "Global Fan Base." 

It's the ones that pack their flutes and drums for their annual fortnight in the Ibrox Bar in Benidorm that kill me.

Both my kids love football strips and so searching ebay for cheap ones has become a hobby.

But it means i end up getting them a psg neymar strip, or juve Ronaldo strip - just because they're the ones that are £15 all in.

I think we should set up a P&B charity to help people in your situation.

"Pandacubarilla's parents can't afford strips of respectable teams for their children so he has to play with his friends wearing the black and white of Juventus, or even one with Neymar Jr. on the back.
Just two pounds a month can help a child like Pandacubarilla don the strips worn by players of Cittadella, Vllaznia or even that of his favourite player: 28 year old Velez Mostar centre back Denis Zvonic."

50 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

And this becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

What about the likes of DHgate? 

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Old firm fans are utterly delusional in thinking they’re a massive global brand. A few of my mates peddle the fact they have supporters clubs all over the world, without realising its 2 or 3 Irish/scots that meet in a specific pub to watch the games.

I was in Singapore with my Celtic supporting mate years back, and he insisted on scouting out the supporters club over there to watch a match. It was 4 guys in the corner of an Irish pub (it sold Guinness and had an Irish flag on the wall) , watching the game on the smallest screen in the place. At the same time, every 3pm premier league game had its own dedicated large screen.

Was there not an old firm match fairly recently that only attracted 35k or so veiwers in America? Didnt stop the usual tubestakes giving it the GloBal FAnbAse oF MilLiOns patter