Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Lebanese, Tapas?

You know what you’re getting in advance there though. I’ve enjoyed many a Turkish mez with friends. I’m against this sharing (stealing) food without pre arrangements. 

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

That is my go to for an Indian but my god I’ve never had it as a calzone and it’s now my aim in life. 

I ordered one near the start of lockdown as I couldn't decide between a pizza or a curry.

Gamechanger tbh 

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

I ordered one near the start of lockdown as I couldn't decide between a pizza or a curry.

Gamechanger tbh 

I’ve already checked the three local Indians and they’re not an option but the owner of one lives just round the corner so I may have to have a word next time I see him washing his car. 

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

I have no idea why people regularly punch you, you're such an amiable chap.

That was a strange and completely fictitious comeback you food thieving mink. 

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

I’ve already checked the three local Indians and they’re not an option but the owner of one lives just round the corner so I may have to have a word next time I see him washing his car. 

I assumed any indian which did calzones did curry calzones!

I wish you every success 😂

If you're in Asia and eating in a group; having someone who knows what they're doing (ie, a local) order an array of dishes for everyone to share, is one of life's greatest experiences. Once you get down to smaller groups, that's less practical and given the western style of dining - one dish per person, it makes more sense for everyone just to order what they want and eat it themselves.
Mrs Shotgun's stepmother is Taiwanese and her family usually ate Asian style - multiple bowls on the table and everyone wiring in. So when we first got together, we invariably argued when we ate Chinese because she expected me to order something that she'd enjoy too. Very much a culture shock.

Pretty much all Asian cultures dining etiquette is a shared meal, especially in China and India.

For an Asian, it would appear utterly bizarre to order your own food and not share. Near complete opposite of what in the west we think.

Goes for smaller groups as well, everything is for sharing.

2 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Pretty much all Asian cultures dining etiquette is a shared meal, especially in China and India.

For an Asian, it would appear utterly bizarre to order your own food and not share. Near complete opposite of what in the west we think.

Goes for smaller groups as well, everything is for sharing.

No-one is asking you! They probably wouldn't even recognise the stuff we get anyway.

I thought it was common knowledge the food we get from Chinese restaurants is a Westernised menu? I think "Chinese Restaurant for the Western palate" is probably a bit much to put on their signs though. Regardless of whether or not it's authentic Chinese cuisine, it's delicious, which is all that matters.

Definitely Chinese restaurants in the UK bears little resemblance to Chinese food. It is mostly food from Hong Kong/Guangdong twisted to the western pallet.

With such a large country they have huge variance in their food, from spicy to bland, sweet to sour and everything in between.

Yunnan (a little like Thai), Hunan and Sichuan (both spicy) are fantastic. Shanghainese, Jiangsu and all the over loaded MSG stuff is shit (imo).

Flipping it around, going into a Thai, Italian and such like in China is a terrible experience and these restaurants probably reflect our Chinese restaurants in the UK.

I mind watching a documentary about American soldiers marrying Korean women while stationed there and in one family the guy was getting mad at the mother in law for always putting extra food on his plate. Could never get my head around what there was to complain about there to be fair.

Thats a ‘schoolboy error’ in many cultures here. Finishing your plate is disrespectful. It suggests the host has not given you enough food. The poor mother in law would be frantic trying not to lose face.

You always should leave a little something on your plate that suggests you enjoyed the meal but couldn’t eat any more.

I wonder if some sort of Throbbergate scenario was played out among the McCanns and their dining companions on the fateful night ?…  Did Gerry storm out in a foul mood after one of the group interfered with his calamari ......?

13 minutes ago, A96 said:

I wonder if some sort of Throbbergate scenario was played out among the McCanns and their dining companions on the fateful night ?…  Did Gerry storm out in a foul mood after one of the group interfered with his calamari ......?

Was that before or after he had his meal?

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I assumed any indian which did calzones did curry calzones!

I wish you every success 😂

Round these parts you only ever see - Korma, Bhuna, Tikka Massala. 

I've never tried the bhuna but the other two are quite decent. Prefer it on just a normal pizza though. 

On 20/07/2020 at 19:42, philpy said:

Fair cop gov. My Comment is in jest however. I'm actually surprised no one had accused you of making it up yet. I'm sure VT will be along soon. Let's get a game of VT bingo. 

Utter fantasist 

Walter mitty

Thanks for playing 

Unlucky champ

A pic of ainsley harriot

A pic of Jose mourihno. 

£3.00 a line, £12 for a full house. 

Qualified historian

Edited by Jacksgranda

10 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Definitely Chinese restaurants in the UK bears little resemblance to Chinese food. It is mostly food from Hong Kong/Guangdong twisted to the western pallet.

With such a large country they have huge variance in their food, from spicy to bland, sweet to sour and everything in between.

Yunnan (a little like Thai), Hunan and Sichuan (both spicy) are fantastic. Shanghainese, Jiangsu and all the over loaded MSG stuff is shit (imo).

Flipping it around, going into a Thai, Italian and such like in China is a terrible experience and these restaurants probably reflect our Chinese restaurants in the UK.

Wid not