Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

53 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, throbber said:
I store mine on a wee nail behind the curtain at the door, the Mrs doesn’t like leaving key in door all time. Not really the point though as there’s a chance the key could not be there for any reason and you’d be fucked in the case of fire. It should just be standard that you don’t require a key to get out for that very reason. 

The doors are in the dining room. Safe to say a chair would be flung through it in case of fire.

Well that’s fine unless of course your dining furniture is ablaze.

14 minutes ago, throbber said:

Another reason why it's a bad idea to build a fire on the dining table to cook chips.

If that were the case I wouldn't go in the room. I have to pass table to get to the doors.

Wouldn’t be too confident about chucking a chair through the toughened glass, especially in an emergency.
I would be. I'm hard as f**k m8.

5 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Agreed. We used to have a car where even if the doors were locked, you could still open them from the inside just by pulling the handle as normal. The cars we have now are set up so you have to unlock the door first, then pull on the handle. Seems to me that if you've just been in a crash and need to get out fast, that would be an unnecessary and potentially difficult extra step. Particularly if you're disoriented, upside down, under water or whatever. The technology has obviously been around for years, so why not use it as standard?

I believe cars with this technology have a collision warning system where if they are in a crash the locks automatically disable. 

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

I believe cars with this technology have a collision warning system where if they are in a crash the locks automatically disable. 

Hmm. This I didn't know. Haud on a minute while I go and crash the car to see if we have that.

13 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
14 hours ago, georox said:
Listening to people chewing.

Nah, what is worse is the breathing noise when opening their mouth to eat, or in the middle of eating.... That "tup tup" noise. I've nearly murdered my missus for that.

Does she still do thay dreadful noise to scare the cats down from the counters?

10 hours ago, Tynierose said:

Just returned from my walk to find the house empty.

Therefore, imagine my surprise to find two tv's left on, a radio blaring, lights on up the stairs etc.   They might has well have just left the bloody showers running for maximum waste of energy.

It really passes me off.

I couldn't handle that. Even leaving shit on standby drives me mental. Even sockets with nothing plugged in but the switch on upsets me. I regularly turn them off in wherever I am, including the office, libraries, pubs and houses (before covid obviously).

10 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Agreed. We used to have a car where even if the doors were locked, you could still open them from the inside just by pulling the handle as normal. The cars we have now are set up so you have to unlock the door first, then pull on the handle. Seems to me that if you've just been in a crash and need to get out fast, that would be an unnecessary and potentially difficult extra step. Particularly if you're disoriented, upside down, under water or whatever. The technology has obviously been around for years, so why not use it as standard?

You have reminded me of something a bus driver told me. Lothian Buses purchased buses with a ramp for wheelchairs. There was a handle, a bit like an old starting handle, that the driver could use if the ramp got stuck to wind it back in and the bus could continue on its route.

The handle was situated behind the fire extinguisher in the drivers cab. But if you removed the fire extinguisher there was a safety feature that automatically shut off the engine and the bus could not be restarted until the maintenance man came from the bus depot in his wee van. Drivers tended to try kicking stuck ramps to loosen them rather than get the handle out.

The design of the buses was soon changed...

13 hours ago, Rugster said:

Over 20 years ago, when I had a Vauxhall Calibra, I parked up, and got out to get something out of the boot, without switching the engine off.  The drivers door swung shut before I opened the boot, and the car deadlocked.  

The AA bloke showed up, asked me to turn my back, and had the car unlocked in 5 seconds flat.  Basically took the rubber grips off his pliers so that the handles fitted into the gap between the front of the door and the front wing, and hit the end of the pliers with a hammer.  The resulting dunt was enough to fool the collision sensor into thinking I'd crashed, and pop all the locks on the car open.

His cheery last words as he got back into his van were "How much did you pay for that car again?"

All cars with central locking should open from the inside without unlocking it first (unless you have the child locks on), but all modern cars certainly have a collision sensor which should unlock the doors so they can be opened from outside.

IIRC some early Mondeos had a wiring fault, and if you hit the front bumper in the right place when it was parked up it would unlock the doors and disable the alarm.

Drop-down lists that use 'Great Britain' as the name for our country.

Nothing to do with inaccuracy or nationalism; I just forget that some American sites don't use 'United Kingdom' or 'Scotland', and I always get the moment of confusion before realising I need to scroll up to the 'G' section.

Just opened a pack of bacon that arrived as part of an online delivery order, so I didn't pick it out.

It's literally a big block of fat with a thin seam of pink running through the middle. Like someone made bacon out of me. Fuming.

21 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Just opened a pack of bacon that arrived as part of an online delivery order, so I didn't pick it out.

It's literally a big block of fat with a thin seam of pink running through the middle. Like someone made bacon out of me. Fuming.

Choosing to get bacon delivered? You'll not make a rasher decision and now you're fuming like a Gammon. Somebody has hogged all the good stuff and that's a boar.

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Choosing to get bacon delivered? You'll not make a rasher decision and now you're fuming like a Gammon. Somebody has hogged all the good stuff and that's a boar.

Quite the combo. Utterly pun-ch drunk right now.

8 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Good effort, Babe.  Maybe if BFTD covered it in Peppa, it might taste better.  

The moral here is not to be a thick cut and order bacon online. It's a grind.