Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

52 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

If I'm having to queue at self service I often find myself marvelling at the attempts to scan shopping through a machine and pay for them. It's quite astounding how some make it such a chore.

It constantly amazes me how bad the Germans are at using self service. Most here don’t use self service, and I’m sure it’s because they cannot work out how to scan an item through and pay without breaking something. Infuriating. 

6 hours ago, Netan Sansara said:

It constantly amazes me how bad the Germans are at using self service. Most here don’t use self service, and I’m sure it’s because they cannot work out how to scan an item through and pay without breaking something. Infuriating. 

Surely that frees up the self service checkouts and makes things quicker?

Why would you need to go to a manned till to buy booze? 
To be fair, my local wee sainsburys take advantage of having the wee machines by making the staff run about all over the shop, so they are never there to verify your age etc. Much easier to go to the till IMO

Just now, Bairnardo said:

To be fair, my local wee sainsburys take advantage of having the wee machines by making the staff run about all over the shop, so they are never there to verify your age etc. Much easier to go to the till IMO

Asda have dedicated staff for the self checkouts so it only takes me about 10 seconds to have it verified. I find at the manned till I'm much more likely to be asked for ID too, despite being 31 and clearly of age.

Asda have dedicated staff for the self checkouts so it only takes me about 10 seconds to have it verified. I find at the manned till I'm much more likely to be asked for ID too, despite being 31 and clearly of age.
You look dead young tho m8 x

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Why would you need to go to a manned till to buy booze? 

Exactly, it's one of the ways the machine annoys and humiliates me, making me wait for an assistant to verify my age.

The others are accusing you of putting "unidentified items in the weighing area". Giving you change in low denomination coins. The "ho ho ho" at Christmas just as you walk away.

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Exactly, it's one of the ways the machine annoys and humiliates me, making me wait for an assistant to verify my age.

The others are accusing you of putting "unidentified items in the weighing area". Giving you change in low denomination coins. The "ho ho ho" at Christmas just as you walk away.

That's not a christmas thing, it's the machines laughing at you. 

Just now, Bairnardo said:

That's not a christmas thing, it's the machines laughing at you. 

I have suspected so for some time. Yesterday an ATM gave the cash fine, then waited to the cusp of the point I was beginning  to panic before it contemptuously spat  out the card. 

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

I have suspected so for some time. Yesterday an ATM gave the cash fine, then waited to the cusp of the point I was beginning  to panic before it contemptuously spat  out the card. 

I'm not saying you should definitely smash any machines that mistreat you, but if its happening this often you may need to make an example of at least one or two

31 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I'm not saying you should definitely smash any machines that mistreat you, but if its happening this often you may need to make an example of at least one or two

I'll try but I usually just slink off trying not to make eye contact with the symathetic/pitying/amused/angry queue it has engineered to join in.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

On 28/01/2020 at 22:30, Utter Roaster said:

Guilty as charged, m'lud. Couple of my mates had them, and I got one free at an event as part of a goodie bag. 

I suppose I can see the point about making it easier to hold (maybe if the Mrs had had one she wouldn't have dropped hers down the bog; I believe there's another thread for such tales of fuckwittery?). But my mates only ever use theirs as wee stands - pull out the back bit and it allows you to prop the phone up so you can watch stuff while you're having your tea. Or anything else where you need at least one free hand... 

Could easily live without it for all the times I use it, and the biggest downside so far is now it doesn't fit in my dashboard mount. 

Image result for kenneth williams"

50 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'd have panicked right away tbh, ATMs give you your card back first.

38 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'd have panicked right away tbh, ATMs give you your card back first.

I'm abroad and it asked for all the instructions before it !atterly asked for the card. It was a nerve wracking experience on the whole.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I once read that the Japanese treat a malfunctioning machine as a sick person and show sympathy towards it as they try to cure it (although the mountains of Japan are littered with elderly photocopiers left up there to die).

In this country we just boot a machine in the pi until it works.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Gave you a greenie purely for not calling it 'an ATM machine'.