Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Wrong thread I know but as we are on the subject: highlights when the commentator tells you there is a goal/a missed penalty/red card etc. before it's been shown.

Commentators are generally pointless on highlights shows anyway as the arseholes in the studio discuss the talking points anyway.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Wrong thread I know but as we are on the subject: highlights when the commentator tells you there is a goal/a missed penalty/red card etc. before it's been shown.

The Goal Rush, and whatever the Quest equivalent is these days, is awful for this.

"However, Doncaster failed to take advantage of a penalty kick in the 84th minute when..."

... player places spot kick. 

giphy.gif 

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

I was watching Stephen Colbert's Late Show the other day and as it was nearing the end of the show it cut to an ad-break, then after the break it showed you about the final 8 seconds of the show which was him running up the aisle of the crowd waving to everyone on his way out. Well worth the wait IMO.

The ads on American tv are terrible. It's basically an ad after every scene. When you're watching it on Netflix or BBC you can spot the moments where an ad would normally go. Just a reminder how ordinary Americans get fucked in the arse in every way possible, including having so many ads their TV is impossible to watch, and still happily wave their flags and shout "Greatest country in the world".

The ads on American tv are terrible. It's basically an ad after every scene. When you're watching it on Netflix or BBC you can spot the moments where an ad would normally go. Just a reminder how ordinary Americans get fucked in the arse in every way possible, including having so many ads their TV is impossible to watch, and still happily wave their flags and shout "Greatest country in the world".
I couldn't be fucked with American TV. When we were in Cuba it had USTV and it went - show starts, break after opening credits, break half way through, end credits right into new episode with no ads. Repeat. It's good going from one episode right into the next one but 2 lots of adverts in a 20 minute show is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I couldn't be fucked with American TV. When we were in Cuba it had USTV and it went - show starts, break after opening credits, break half way through, end credits right into new episode with no ads. Repeat. It's good going from one episode right into the next one but 2 lots of adverts in a 20 minute show is ridiculous.

... and half of that will be running through the potential side effects of the meds they're advertising.  Example below with 20 secs of actual advert in a one minute ad.  Mental.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
9 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

You'll often get more than that on "basic cable". Ads between shows, after opening credits, a couple times during the show, then one right at the end. That's for a "30" minute programme. It's abysmal.

... and half of that will be running through the potential side effects of the meds they're advertising.  Example below with 20 secs of actual advert in a one minute ad.  Mental.

The disclaimers in the American ads are fantastic. My two favourites were "if your erection lasts for more than 4 hours, please consult your doctor" and "side effects may include death".

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The disclaimers in the American ads are fantastic. My two favourites were "if your erection lasts for more than 4 hours, please consult your doctor" and "side effects may include death".

It's common for the potential side effects to be far more horrifying than the problem the medication is supposed to cure.

“Side effects may include dry mouth, drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, itching, restlessness, moodiness, blurred vision hallucinations, fast heartbeats, seizures, involuntary quivering, nightmares, ringing in the ears, violent mood swings, manic behavior and screaming”.

Nah, I'll just stick with the athlete's foot, thanks.

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

"Side effects may include dry mouth, drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, itching, restlessness, moodiness, blurred vision hallucinations, fast heartbeats, seizures, involuntary quivering, nightmares, ringing in the ears, violent mood swings, manic behavior and screaming”.

That reminds me, we're having dinner at the mother-in-law's house on Friday night.

BT Sport showing NHL games which means the £130 subscription I paid for to watch games means I can't watch them live, particularly when there's absolutely no trace of their showing it anywhere on the internet.

And the fact my workaround for this problem stopped working this season

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

BT Sport showing NHL games which means the £130 subscription I paid for to watch games means I can't watch them live, particularly when there's absolutely no trace of their showing it anywhere on the internet.

Consider this for the rest of the NHL season/next season.  https://www.nhl.com/subscribe

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:
6 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The disclaimers in the American ads are fantastic. My two favourites were "if your erection lasts for more than 4 hours, please consult your doctor" 

"I'm glad you came to see me Mr Bam, I was needing somewhere to hang my coat.. "

Was the workaround a vpn? That's what I used to use with NFL gamepass to watch blacked out games.

15 hours ago, peasy23 said:
18 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

With weans throwing hoops on it in the waiting room.

6 hours ago, charger29 said:
18 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Was the workaround a vpn? That's what I used to use with NFL gamepass to watch blacked out games.

No, I changed my DNS settings and it worked from 2016 up until ~November last year. Since then being able to watch games 24 hours after they've finished has been okay (or at least tolerable), so I haven't gone for a VPN or any other solution. It was just especially annoying last night because I thought I'd be able to watch it, and I couldn't, because of a channel I didn't know existed and which had seemingly no coverage of the league or sport on its website (there's no listing at all for ice hockey on BT's website). 

19 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

That's the subscription I pay for that doesn't show games live when they're being shown on TV in your catchment area/country.

I've been finding NordVPN working well recently for switching geolocation. If the first server they find for you is slow, you just reconnect and try another, first one's usually ok though. Costs about 50p a week.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I've been finding NordVPN working well recently for switching geolocation. If the first server they find for you is slow, you just reconnect and try another, first one's usually ok though. Costs about 50p a week.

This was why I made a thread about VPNs on the echat forum a few months back. I might go for it depending on how desperate I get during the playoffs.