Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Rife among social media LAD accounts. Specially football ones. Annoyingly, and this is just my opinion, spontaneous acts of kindness being wanked over in this way has led to a rise in cringingly choreographed acts of kindness.

The respect given to someone carrying out a kind act is immediately negated when they post online to tell everyone how great they are for doing it. I genuinely think some folk see the opportunity to help someone as a chance to gain some likes online. 

1 hour ago, Jamaldo said:

"Even though the team you support is not the team I support, I have to say that what you did or didn't do today was just absolutely top class. This is important as the team you support are arch rivals of the team I support, and we do not like eachother, but I had to put all that aside to just show you how class you are. Class."

I love when Old Firm fans let us in on the little known secret that football isn't as important as life-threatening health problems by posting a picture of a seriously ill child fan of their rivals. 

It really takes a special type of person to try to make themselves look good on the back of a photograph of a hospitalised kid. 

Just now, welshbairn said:

Have to admit that I never gave one f**k about Bradley Lowery. We've all got to go sometime.

That sort of thing, where an obviously horrible and tragic case gains such a disproportionate amount of attention/money/publicity just makes me feel bad for the many parents and kids suffering the same or worse who get no help, no attention and have to face the same plight alone.

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

That sort of thing, where an obviously horrible and tragic case gains such a disproportionate amount of attention/money/publicity just makes me feel bad for the many parents and kids suffering the same or worse who get no help, no attention and have to face the same plight alone.

Quite, it's hardly a rare thing. I don't remember it being joined with a big campaign to spend more on the NHS, for example. Just, oh what a sweet boy, sad.."

P.S. Must have been very emotionally confusing for the parents, especially after he died and the headlights instantly turned off at the same time the grief started.

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Quite, it's hardly a rare thing. I don't remember it being joined with a big campaign to spend more on the NHS, for example. Just, oh what a sweet boy, sad.."

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This is it. You don't see these folk ever posting pictures of sick children at any other time, just pictures of a kid in another team's football kit to show what an amazing human being they are to be able to rise above their footballing rivalry. 

Having said all that, they're probably better people than me - you wouldn't see any sick dabs polluting my timeline.

On 13/01/2020 at 04:03, Tynierose said:

Her husband was sleeping in it.

Or watching through the two way mirror......

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Sometimes it's the parents pushing this "awareness". I worked with a guy that knows the father of a "famous" sick kid and he apparently uses his sons illness for benefits from their Club. That said, their Club is happy to use his son for good PR.

I'd personally rather not get any media or companies involved in that kind of situation.

Edited by sjc

2 hours ago, sjc said:

Or watching through the two way mirror......

Sometimes it's the parents pushing this "awareness". I worked with a guy that knows the father of a "famous" sick kid and he apparently uses his sons illness for benefits from their Club. That said, their Club is happy to use his son for good PR.

I'd personally rather not get any media or companies involved in that kind of situation.

I feel similarly uncomfortable watching JB's dad exploiting his condition. Assume that's who you mean.

58 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Folk in Australia wearing wee paper face masks like that will do anything to stop them inhaling smoke and dust.

They're not bad actually. I sometimes wear one here in the winter as the air is so dry. It keeps your throat moist and stops it getting sore.

13 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

That's because you're re-breathing the moisture from your own breath as it condenses on the inside of he mask.

They're useless as a barrier to very fine particles.

The moisture also acts as a barrier to fine particles but you get different grades of masks, just like in the construction industry.

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

A bottle of fish sauce fell out the cupboard and smashed this morning. It fucking stinks and is difficult to get rid of.

I smashed a box full of sesame oil at work yesterday. Smelled quite nice so I'll be buying that next time as I'm not overly keen on the smell of the coconut oil I'm currently using. 

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Folk in Australia wearing wee paper face masks like that will do anything to stop them inhaling smoke and dust.

Used to wear one sometimes cycling to work in London, and it was black after a few miles. Must have been doing some good.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

A bottle of fish sauce fell out the cupboard and smashed this morning. It fucking stinks and is difficult to get rid of.

I feel your pain. It does stink but Thai green curry wouldn't be the same without it.

Try lemon juice the neutralise the smell......it works for taste!

7 minutes ago, sjc said:

I feel your pain. It does stink but Thai green curry wouldn't be the same without it.

Try lemon juice the neutralise the smell......it works for taste!

Don't get me wrong, I like fish sauce. I just wouldn't recommend pouring it all over your kitchen floor.

Silver lining is that I will be winding up the Mrs with fish smell jokes for the rest of the week.