Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

19 hours ago, Shotgun said:

From my (admittedly long ago) time in retail, the rule was to prevent misleading advertising. If you claimed you were selling something for £99 but when the punters arrived simply told them "Yeah sorry, it's £299, you'd be on the hook for fraud. However, if it was a genuine mistake - an error by the typesetter at the paper for example, you got a pass.

That said, the "You have to sell it to me at that price" concept was firmly ingrained in the British psyche. There was an even an episode of Coronation St. where Alf Roberts the grocer was forced to sell something at a bargain price because it was mistakenly labeled. The thing is, no, the retailler is under no obligation to sell anything at any price. They can simply refuse to sell you something because they don't like your face. Wouldn't be very good business but unless you're a member of a protected minority there's no legal reason why they couldn't.

I worked in a jeweller's and one time we had a ring in the window selling for £3000. However there was a fleck of dirt on the label which, if you squinted, made it look as if it was £30.00. (We never used the ".00" on any of our labels.) I spent the best part of an hour arguing with a gammon who insisted we HAD to sell it to him at that price. The good news is, he's probably dead now.

Just to pick you up on the "protected minority" point. 

Minorities aren't more protected than anyone else by equality law. If an Asian shopkeeper refused to serve me for being white he'd be in the same bother as a white shopkeeper refusing to serve an Asian customer for being Asian. 

I once persuaded an Asian shopkeeper that he had to sell me a bag of coffee for the label price of 99p when it should have been 1.99. He did not refuse to serve me, so I didn't report him. 

33 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Minorities aren't more protected than anyone else by equality law. If an Asian shopkeeper refused to serve me for being white he'd be in the same bother as a white shopkeeper refusing to serve an Asian customer for being Asian. 

When I first read this I was thinking, "But isn't that what I said?" Then I looked back at my own post and no, it wasn't. However, it was what I meant😉

11 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Job adverts that don't mention salary. If I don't know how much money is on offer then why would I waste time applying? Likely not an uncommon moan here.

Over the last few weeks I've been looking for jobs in New Zealand as I'm thinking about emigrating. There's not a single job advert that lists the salary. Annoyingly though, all of the adverts do have a salary range, it's just not listed for the person looking. This results in fucking around with the salary bracket, searching again and waiting for your job to disappear from the listing to figure out what the f**k you might be paid. I cannot fathom why companies think this is a better use of their time, surely they don't want folk going through interview processes only for them to reveal the salary and the would be  employee telling them to ram their job? Do they hope that if some weak minded c***s get to that stage that they will just accept any old wage? Madness.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Over the last few weeks I've been looking for jobs in New Zealand as I'm thinking about emigrating. There's not a single job advert that lists the salary. Annoyingly though, all of the adverts do have a salary range, it's just not listed for the person looking. This results in fucking around with the salary bracket, searching again and waiting for your job to disappear from the listing to figure out what the f**k you might be paid. I cannot fathom why companies think this is a better use of their time, surely they don't want folk going through interview processes only for them to reveal the salary and the would be  employee telling them to ram their job? Do they hope that if some weak minded c***s get to that stage that they will just accept any old wage? Madness.

The missus is a kiwi and she was surprised how little wiggle room there is for negotiating a salary over here. Genuinely surprised that jobs advertised at £30k means that's the wage you'll get. I think the kiwis set a job out and expect you to negotiate a bit. Lunatics.

2 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The missus is a kiwi and she was surprised how little wiggle room there is for negotiating a salary over here. Genuinely surprised that jobs advertised at £30k means that's the wage you'll get. I think the kiwis set a job out and expect you to negotiate a bit. Lunatics.

Yeah, my brother (current NZ resident) has told me not to get too bothered with the salary as it's generally negotiable. My brother once tried to negotiate a salary with a company in Nelson who seriously informed him that companies in Nelson operate the "Sunshine Tax" in regards to wages - i.e. they pay c***s less than the industry standard because the sun is out for most of the year. Complete madness.

41 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Yeah, my brother (current NZ resident) has told me not to get too bothered with the salary as it's generally negotiable. My brother once tried to negotiate a salary with a company in Nelson who seriously informed him that companies in Nelson operate the "Sunshine Tax" in regards to wages - i.e. they pay c***s less than the industry standard because the sun is out for most of the year. Complete madness.

If this operated in reverse here I'd be paid fucking millions in Greenock. 

When the bus I'm on is running ahead of time, so the driver waits at a bus stop until he's back on schedule. Worse if I'm getting off at the next stop so I'm left wondering if it would be quicker to get off and walk.

When the bus I'm on is running ahead of time, so the driver waits at a bus stop until he's back on schedule. Worse if I'm getting off at the next stop so I'm left wondering if it would be quicker to get off and walk.
Wonder what you would post in here if you tipped up at your stop 2 minutes early to see your bus fucking off?

33 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
40 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Wonder what you would post in here if you tipped up at your stop 2 minutes early to see your bus fucking off?

That's happened to me before

21 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Falkirk does.

As a bonus it's built on Brockville

The old turnstile they have in the foyer of the store and old pictures from the club is quite cool. Probably the best turnstile I've seen in a supermarket actually. 

Over here the arseholes dawdle between stops. Pain in the tits when they are doing around 30 in a 60 with no room to overtake.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, GordonD said:

I know why they do it; it doesn't make it less annoying. After all, the title of this thread is PETTY things that get on your nerves.

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Over here, you rarely see salary in the jobs ads. Hourly rates yes, but not salary. Instead, if you get to the interview stage, they'll ask you what your salary expectations are and force you to give them a number. Which puts you in the position of potentially pricing yourself out of a job you desperately need, or allowing them to hire you at less than they were prepared to. Fortunately, there are web sites now which can give you an idea of the market value of your position, in your area and allow you to make adjustments for your qualifications, experience and skill-set. It's still a shitty way to behave though.