Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

As if Hogmanay/New Year’s wasn’t an overblown and therefore irritating holiday to begin with, it seems that the traditional sentiment of well wishes and hospitality to others has been replaced by a self-obsessed need to publicise your achievements/highs/lows of the year (decade). It’s descended into an extended Christmas card message/‘you look gr8 *** x’ exercise for wankers.

Get it in the sea.

My girlfriend is English. She keeps calling Hogmanay "New Years Eve". For some petty reason it gets me absolutely raging
I'd rather hear it refered to as New Years Eve than folk pronouncing Hogmanay as 'Hugmanay'.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
10 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:
My girlfriend is English. She keeps calling Hogmanay "New Years Eve". For some petty reason it gets me absolutely raging

I'd rather hear it refered to as New Years Eve than folk pronouncing Hogmanay as 'Hugmanay'.

Ha Ha, that's the way i say it. You and her would get on well then

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

Why don't they make link sausages square shaped so they don't roll about the pan? 

They're often a sort of irregular quadrilateral in section if they're pre-packed and stacked. 

The issue is the distribution of forces when the fluids inside expand on cooking. Like a bubble, they push out and make the shape tend towards spherical. You would need a rigid skin to maintain edges, but that would mean that the whole manufacturing process would have to change as they couldn't be twisted and knotted in the same way. 

There might be enough ocd punters to create a market, but I suspect that most people just don't mind their sausages rolling a bit. 

Therefore there probably isn't enough of a payoff to justify the investment in R&D and new plant. 

You did ask. 

They're often a sort of irregular quadrilateral in section if they're pre-packed and stacked. 

The issue is the distribution of forces when the fluids inside expand on cooking. Like a bubble, they push out and make the shape tend towards spherical. You would need a rigid skin to maintain edges, but that would mean that the whole manufacturing process would have to change as they couldn't be twisted and knotted in the same way. 

There might be enough ocd punters to create a market, but I suspect that most people just don't mind their sausages rolling a bit. 

Therefore there probably isn't enough of a payoff to justify the investment in R&D and new plant. 

You did ask. 

sausages with a slight bend to them have their centre of gravity offset and so are less likely to roll around

The logical extension of this is the traditional Cumberland sausage which takes the form of a frying pan sized spiral

It’s simultaneously one long link sausage and yet also flat combining the non rolling aspects of the square sausage with the actually tasting nice aspect of link

IMG_0673.thumb.jpg.536b077721bba9cebed697a6a3702a4d.jpg

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

sausages with a slight bend to them have their centre of gravity offset and so are less likely to roll around

The logical extension of this is the traditional Cumberland sausage which takes the form of a frying pan sized spiral

It’s simultaneously one long link sausage and yet also flat combining the non rolling aspects of the square sausage with the actually tasting nice aspect of link

IMG_0673.thumb.jpg.536b077721bba9cebed697a6a3702a4d.jpg

I do enjoy a Cumberland ring.

5 hours ago, virginton said:

As if Hogmanay/New Year’s wasn’t an overblown and therefore irritating holiday to begin with, it seems that the traditional sentiment of well wishes and hospitality to others has been replaced by a self-obsessed need to publicise your achievements/highs/lows of the year (decade). It’s descended into an extended Christmas card message/‘you look gr8 *** x’ exercise for wankers.

Get it in the sea.

Underachieving fatty type post.