Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

41 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Recently, I gave my doctor, a locum, a chiding for starting three sentences needlessly with ‘so’, and she sat looking stunned, hurt even, for a few seconds.

The educating and reforming method here is to commence every reply, question and comment with "So", so she quickly realises how annoying it is, without you having to be a pompous twat.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

There's one guy who wanders around my work (outside) with a maroon dust coat on and a vest underneath, whistling aimlessly away to himself.

I call him The Wind.

Maroon Coat, wandering about the place aimlessly with no seeming purpose, whistling to himself.

You should call him Craig Levein.

51 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

People wrongly starting a sentence with ‘So’ when talking. ‘So’ can be used, no doubt, in speech when used as a conjunction commencing a point, but it’s overused nowadays, with people utilising it to give themselves space to think perhaps.

Recently, I gave my doctor, a locum, a chiding for starting three sentences needlessly with ‘so’, and she sat looking stunned, hurt even, for a few seconds.

was she a "wid"? if so, I'd have let her away with any grammatical error.

If I’m in a Costa Coffee, buying a coffee and maybe a wee cake thingy for myself, and it comes to about £5.50ish, I pay cash. If I’m in a Costa with Mrs P, and our order comes to about £12ish, I’ll do a contactless tap on the machine with my debit card. If I’m buying anything over the £30 contactless limit, goes on my credit card. I guess we all have a wee compass point in our head where we think ‘cash, debit, or credit card’. I could never see myself whipping out a card for something like a tea and a roll & square sausage in a Greggs or somewhere. In my head, that sort of purchase is always, 100% cash. Everyone will be different.

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Also as a pedestrian I dislike been waved to cross a road by any driver because a driver cannot not see that the entire road is safe to cross.

He can probably see that the road isn't safe to cross which is why he's waving you across.

People who think they're superior to everybody else because they refuse to carry cash. They must be a fucking riot when they're trying to buy a paper off the old guy on the corner.
Days when a bank's system crashes make life worth living. There's an audible squeal from the cashless.

3 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
6 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:
Days when a bank's system crashes make life worth living. There's an audible squeal from the cashless.

Just bring out the bitcoin.

You'd be better off spending the chocolate dollars from the Christmas tree.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

People wrongly starting a sentence with ‘So’ when talking. ‘So’ can be used, no doubt, in speech when used as a conjunction commencing a point, but it’s overused nowadays, with people utilising it to give themselves space to think perhaps.

It boils my piss when people use ‘so’ as a filled pause, even more than when women used to greet friends and work colleagues with ‘How’s you?’. Uninspiring salutation, you’d have to agree.

So…... 

Good luck with your next appointment when she opens with 'So.....about this rectal examination I'm about to perform...........'

In Brussels Airport last week, there was a hand written sign saying "Cash only" at the wonderful bar. I dug out the euros for a beautiful Belgian beer whilst the contactless Nazis headed for the cans at the sandwich bar which still took their new-fangled plastic.

Theres a lot of progressive thinking on P&B. It's quite odd to see the attachment to cash. It's dying a pretty fast death. You don't have to like it, just accept it. Contactless is better in almost all circumstances now.

I still ensure cash for going to the pub and going to a restaurant for the purpose of tipping but it wont be long until the pub finds its way to being mostly contactless too I think.

If I’m in a Costa Coffee, buying a coffee and maybe a wee cake thingy for myself, and it comes to about £5.50ish, I pay cash. If I’m in a Costa with Mrs P, and our order comes to about £12ish, I’ll do a contactless tap on the machine with my debit card. If I’m buying anything over the £30 contactless limit, goes on my credit card. I guess we all have a wee compass point in our head where we think ‘cash, debit, or credit card’. I could never see myself whipping out a card for something like a tea and a roll & square sausage in a Greggs or somewhere. In my head, that sort of purchase is always, 100% cash. Everyone will be different.

Never use my debit card unless I need cash, and then pay for groceries with it and get cashback, because there's very few Citibank ATMs near us and I'm fucked if I'm paying withdrawal fees. Most things go on the credit card because cashback and airmiles and that sort of thing, unless it's a small purchase at a small business in which case I'm loth to have to have them eat the merchant processing fee and I'll use cash. And cash only places, natch.

I like the anonymity of cash. Card and app use uploads your every purchase and location to banks, retailers, global internet and phone companies, Facebook spying on you even when it's switched off. And most likely Governments. It allows them to establish what they think is an accurate psychological profile of you, and decide whether you should be trusted, be employed, offered a mortgage, or put on the watch list. Getting rid of cash altogether is their dream.

Edited by welshbairn