Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Self service checkout users. Stood and watched two twats today in Tesco.

First one beeps through his shopping onto the scales then gets a bag out and proceed to then pack his stuff into the bag instead of putting bag on the scale at the start and packing into the bag like any normal person does.

Second c**t actually produces the shopping out of a big carrier bag, then proceeds to scan through the shopping before putting it back in to the original bag. So the silly c**t has actually gone round doing his shopping and putting it into a bag rather than using a trolley or basket.

Fucking Dundee man.

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Self service checkout users. Stood and watched two twats today in Tesco.

First one beeps through his shopping onto the scales then gets a bag out and proceed to then pack his stuff into the bag instead of putting bag on the scale at the start and packing into the bag like any normal person does.

Second c**t actually produces the shopping out of a big carrier bag, then proceeds to scan through the shopping before putting it back in to the original bag. So the silly c**t has actually gone round doing his shopping and putting it into a bag rather than using a trolley or basket.

Fucking Dundee man.

Neither of these behaviours are unique to Dundee.

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I once absent mindedly did this till I came to my senses halfway round the shop and just ditched the bag and left and can never go back. Small price to pay.

I hope you remembered to go back and destroy all the cctv footage by burning the shop down as well.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

Everything about supermarket self-checkout machines gets on my tits. Everything. From them not recognising you have indeed put your own bag on the shelf, to them giving you less than half-a-second to put an item in, before giving you the ‘unexpected item in bagging area’ shite. The wee red light to attract staff attention every second item that fcuks-up. Trying to navigate through the fruit & veg’ menus to price one red onion you needed for a recipe, the whole experience is about as enjoyable as being hit in the baws by a Mitre Mouldmaster on a blaes pitch at school in the winter of 1978.

Still beats having to make small talk with cashiers, though. Also having to navigate the general arseholery of other customers.

Thank Christ for home delivery. I don't know how there aren't more massacres at supermarkets.

My local Aldi store is something else. The checkout operators have every single item scanned within about 4 seconds, then shout out the total cost before you've even got 1 item into the bag.

It's as if they are trying to show you how clever they are by the speed at which they can run articles past a scanner.

Are all Aldi stores like this?

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

My local Aldi store is something else. The checkout operators have every single item scanned within about 4 seconds, then shout out the total cost before you've even got 1 item into the bag.

It's as if they are trying to show you how clever they are by the speed at which they can run articles past a scanner.

Yes, and Lidl. Get with the times daddio. Just chuck everything into the trolley and bag up later or you'll get your throat slit by the people in the queue.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yes, and Lidl. Get with the times daddio. Just chuck everything into the trolley and bag up later or you'll get your throat slit by the people in the queue.

Nah, take your time. The silent seethe from the queue and the till operator is glorious. Who the f**k are they to hurry you on, I will do my own shopping at my own pace thank you very much.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm more of a basket than a trolley man but I suppose the same applies. At Asda or Tesco the girls usually offer to help you pack your bags which makes it a more pleasurable experience.

I can vaguely remember when all the supermarkets were like that; chuck everything back into your trolley/basket after it's been rung up, then quickly retire to the wall with a shelf to bag it yourself. I think you'd have received short shrift if you'd asked for help.

Hard to believe that's still a specific job at American supermarkets. Quite why they need one person on the till and another to put things in bags, who knows.

Hard to believe that's still a specific job at American supermarkets. Quite why they need one person on the till and another to put things in bags, who knows.

1. Job creation
2. It’s as much as some of them can do (no offense intended)

7 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

They have a target to meet. X items must be scanned per minute to achieve pay/bonus, you should bag away from the till.

They have a target to meet. X items must be scanned per minute to achieve pay/bonus, you should bag away from the till.
Yeah thought there was something to this I had heard before...

Pretty sure these places cite this type of thing as part of their ability to deliver low prices. If you want to shop there thats the craic basically.

7 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Nah, take your time. The silent seethe from the queue and the till operator is glorious. Who the f**k are they to hurry you on, I will do my own shopping at my own pace thank you very much.

RIP johnnydun.

(Can I have your bags for life?)