Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Have watched a couple transmt sets on iplayer tonight, seen a few girls on boys shoulders and they’re not even watching the performer, .just sitting texting. Why are you up there then? Do not understand

They had their phones out???

I was too busy looking at what else they had out.

Wimbledon coverage when you can't tell which player is which. It was pretty obvious in the women's final but when it's two white guys it's next to impossible if you tune in halfway through a rally. Simple enough to put the names at the side of the screen, surely?
And I just know somebody is going to quote this post, delete everything except the first word and say 'FTFY'.
Are you saying that all white men look the same? Wow shocking.

Maybe this is the perfect excuse to get a bigger TV?

10 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

They ran a feature on them before the match, six months of training. For what? Picking up a ball and chucking it at a guy playing tennis.

All private school as well which is sad. 

Is that right? They used to recruit them from a local Dr. Barnardo's home. Presumably the toffs who run Wimbledon didn't want such guttersnipes lowering the tone of the place any longer.

4 hours ago, Swarley said:

Are you saying that all white men look the same? Wow shocking.

Maybe this is the perfect excuse to get a bigger TV?

No, they look different but if I don't know what they look like in the first place how does that help? I can identify four gentlemen male players - Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Murray. If none of those are playing I don't have a clue.

That said, I only watch about ten minutes of tennis a year so it really isn't a problem.

4 minutes ago, GordonD said:

No, they look different but if I don't know what they look like in the first place how does that help? I can identify four gentlemen male players - Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Murray. If none of those are playing I don't have a clue.

That said, I only watch about ten minutes of tennis a year so it really isn't a problem.

Wimbledon's daft rule about wearing all white probably doesn't help. Can you imagine a game of football where all 22 players wore identical kits?

4 minutes ago, nsr said:

Why do Wimbledon need ballchildren anyway? Is there some reason the players can't retrieve the ball from the net themselves? Or fetch their own sweaty towel?

You'd add quite a bit of time to every match if the players were having to go and fetch balls between every point. It wouldn't make great entertainment and probably fucks up all the scheduling too.

It makes perfect sense to get volunteer kids who probably love the experience to do it.

18 hours ago, HenryHill said:

When my satnav suddenly decides to tell me to go 'north-west' or the likes. Cheers. Just let me find the North Star and I will work from there. I have never asked for directions and been told to go east or west.

Go West. Life is peaceful there. 

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You'd add quite a bit of time to every match if the players were having to go and fetch balls between every point. It wouldn't make great entertainment and probably fucks up all the scheduling too.

It makes perfect sense to get volunteer kids who probably love the experience to do it.

Would you really? How long does it take a super-fit athlete to jog to the net and pick up the ball?

My heart hurts. It did all yesterday and still today. I also feel myself taking deep breaths from time to time. Am I dying?

If only DA were still on the forum to enjoy this. Goodnight sweet prince.

4 minutes ago, nsr said:

Would you really? How long does it take a super-fit athlete to jog to the net and pick up the ball?

I think so. A quick google says there's 675 matches played in 2 weeks at Wimbledon. If you added say 10 seconds onto every point played because you were having to jog and collect the ball you'd add quite a bit of time onto the tournament.

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think so. A quick google says there's 675 matches played in 2 weeks at Wimbledon. If you added say 10 seconds onto every point played because you were having to jog and collect the ball you'd add quite a bit of time onto the tournament.

You wouldn't be adding 10 seconds though, because the ballchild is already using that time to collect the ball and throw it to the player.

54 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Is that right? They used to recruit them from a local Dr. Barnardo's home. Presumably the toffs who run Wimbledon didn't want such guttersnipes lowering the tone of the place any longer.

Caught wanking in the cream for the strawberries allegedly. 

7 minutes ago, nsr said:

You wouldn't be adding 10 seconds though, because the ballchild is already using that time to collect the ball and throw it to the player.

10 seconds is a guess but you would absolutely add on time.

As soon as a point ends, a ballchild instantly hands a new ball/towel to the player while another runs on and collects the ball, it all happens while the player is readying the next shot.

If the player had to jog and collect the ball, then jog and get a towel, then towel himself off, then get ready for the next shot, it definitely adds time.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

10 seconds is a guess but you would absolutely add on time.

As soon as a point ends, a ballchild instantly hands a new ball/towel to the player while another runs on and collects the ball, it all happens while the player is readying the next shot.

If the player had to jog and collect the ball, then jog and get a towel, then towel himself off, then get ready for the next shot, it definitely adds time.

^ Rafael Nadal likes this.