Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I haven't (yet) been able to find a definitive explanation but apparently in the early railway timetables "Up" trains travelled towards London, while "Down" trains travelled away. The majority of rail lines radiated from the capital  so you had to know which line to be on.

This is still the case today.

Edit- no idea how it quoted 3 times!

16 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I haven't (yet) been able to find a definitive explanation but apparently in the early railway timetables "Up" trains travelled towards London, while "Down" trains travelled away. The majority of rail lines radiated from the capital  so you had to know which line to be on.

Today, I also learned that grammatically, you're supposed to say "up to" whenever referring to a town more populous than your own. Never heard that one before.

What about trains that run accross the country? Were there none in those days?

Scottish fucking weather.  Decent all week, with a couple of cracking days and yet miserable on Saturday.  F*ck right off!

Roll on retirement so I can move to a country where the sun shines.

He can't wait to retire to a country "where the sun shines". A sentence previous this very country was decent all week with a few cracking days. 

I'm not sure moving abroad helps you decide the weather on set days tbh. 

1 hour ago, Dele said:

He can't wait to retire to a country "where the sun shines". A sentence previous this very country was decent all week with a few cracking days. 

I'm not sure moving abroad helps you decide the weather on set days tbh. 

Hopefully he retires somewhere with no internet access.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

What is 'miserable' about a wee bit of rain?!

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Do folk genuinely let a bit of rain dictate what they can and can't do?!

You post about this quite a lot, and every time it’s explained to you how certain activities aren’t possible/are greatly diminished by rain but then a short time later you’re back with the same thing. It’s not fucking rocket science.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

You post about this quite a lot, and every time it’s explained to you how certain activities aren’t possible/are greatly diminished by rain but then a short time later you’re back with the same thing. It’s not fucking rocket science.

Like what?

Some folk say they don't even leave the house when it rains.