Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I believe one is always supposed to say "up to" when referring to the capital, regardless of the geographic direction. Or altitude. Also, Oxford & Cambridge universities. Not sure about St. Andrews but maybe Scarface above can confirm.

4 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I believe one is always supposed to say "up to" when referring to the capital, regardless of the geographic direction. Or altitude. Also, Oxford & Cambridge universities. Not sure about St. Andrews but maybe Scarface above can confirm.

From my time down in London, people would always refer to a trip "up to London" in terms of a night out, shopping or whatever. I'm stumped about the St Andrews one. I've never lived north of St Andrews so it has always been "up" to St Andrews. 

I haven't (yet) been able to find a definitive explanation but apparently in the early railway timetables "Up" trains travelled towards London, while "Down" trains travelled away. The majority of rail lines radiated from the capital  so you had to know which line to be on.

Today, I also learned that grammatically, you're supposed to say "up to" whenever referring to a town more populous than your own. Never heard that one before.

5 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I haven't (yet) been able to find a definitive explanation but apparently in the early railway timetables "Up" trains travelled towards London, while "Down" trains travelled away. The majority of rail lines radiated from the capital  so you had to know which line to be on.

Today, I also learned that grammatically, you're supposed to say "up to" whenever referring to a town more populous than your own. Never heard that one before.

It's almost as if the establishment is a bit London-centric. 

Just now, Shandon Par said:

It's almost as if the establishment is a bit London-centric. 

I was taking it for granted that all of us here are middle-class English children living in the Edwardian era. Is that not the case?

Just now, Shotgun said:

I was taking it for granted that all of us here are middle-class English children living in the Edwardian era. Is that not the case?

One probably does not have to delve too deep into GN for that notion to be scuppered. 

People from Ross Shire always say they're going 'up to Inverness' despite the fact that it's south of them.  It does my dick in.

Presumably it because they have to cross the black isle in which they go up a hill, completely oblivious to the fact that they come down said hill as Invergordon/Alness and Inverness are all at sea level.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

People from Ross Shire always say they're going 'up to Inverness' despite the fact that it's south of them.  It does my dick in.

Bear in mind that the four-and-twenty virgins came down from Inverness.

On 15/05/2019 at 09:17, Dons_1988 said:

It's 'health month' at my work and they've just covered the office in reminders not to drink too much alcohol in a week.

What about the other 3 weeks?

The fact that my Canadian wife asked me what orange men were last night and I was able to answer her annoyed me. Realising I have a working knowledge of Irish history and politics solely because I follow Scottish football really gets my nerves! 

19 minutes ago, Torpar said:

The fact that my Canadian wife asked me what orange men were last night and I was able to answer her annoyed me. Realising I have a working knowledge of Irish history and politics solely because I follow Scottish football really gets my nerves! 

Thankfully your French wife, Brazilian wife and Japanese wife are not so annoying.

When I gave up on Kickback and moved to P&B I soon realised I’d need to at least read a history of Ireland if I was going to stay here.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Thankfully your French wife, Brazilian wife and Japanese wife are not so annoying.

Japanese maybe, but have you ever met French or Latino women??

2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

When I gave up on Kickback and moved to P&B I soon realised I’d need to at least read a history of Ireland if I was going to stay here.

I'd think Kickback was the prefect place to learn about UK/Irish history, or do they just hate Neil Lennon because of the way he played the game?