Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Just thought of another. When people refer to the singer above as "Macca".
On topic for this site, it's similarly cringeworthy when folk refer to footballers with their nicknames. I heard some twat calling up talksport about Mark Hughes, and referring to him only as "Sparky". Over the years I've also heard countless morons calling Scottish stations to discuss "Boydy" or "Broony".
These people aren't your friends. They don't want to be your friends. Stop talking about them like you know them. You don't.
I think a lot of the time it's fans who give players nicknames. And it's probably to make it easier to shout support. Paul Burns was referred to as 'Burnsy' but players called him 'Burner'. And Stephen McKenna is nicknamed 'Steggs' but I can't ever remember fans shouting that.

I don't think it's done because fans are kidding on they're pals, more that it's easier to give a name that rolls off the tongue when shouting encouragement (or for some folk, abuse!).

10 minutes ago, milton75 said:

Just thought of another. When people refer to the singer above as "Macca".

On topic for this site, it's similarly cringeworthy when folk refer to footballers with their nicknames. I heard some twat calling up talksport about Mark Hughes, and referring to him only as "Sparky". Over the years I've also heard countless morons calling Scottish stations to discuss "Boydy" or "Broony".
These people aren't your friends. They don't want to be your friends. Stop talking about them like you know them. You don't.

Not just that but the nicknames are all dreadful, unimaginative nonsense given by absolute morons. Total, bottom of the barrel cliched bullshit. Take Scott McDonald; he's from Australia right, so, get this, his nickname, haha, is SKIPPY! HAHAHAHAHAH LOLOLOLOLOL

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Not just that but the nicknames are all dreadful, unimaginative nonsense given by absolute morons. Total, bottom of the barrel cliched bullshit. Take Scott McDonald; he's from Australia right, so, get this, his nickname, haha, is SKIPPY! HAHAHAHAHAH LOLOLOLOLOL

p***ky, mair like.

I think a lot of the time it's fans who give players nicknames. And it's probably to make it easier to shout support. Paul Burns was referred to as 'Burnsy' but players called him 'Burner'. And Stephen McKenna is nicknamed 'Steggs' but I can't ever remember fans shouting that.

I don't think it's done because fans are kidding on they're pals, more that it's easier to give a name that rolls off the tongue when shouting encouragement (or for some folk, abuse!).
That is a very reasonable explanation.

I, however, am as petty as can be, and I am having none of it. It must cease to be.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 20:00, The_Kincardine said:

When you discuss a team's formation - be it how you'll set up for the next match or some variation of your 'best ever 11" etc - the format is clear:

Keeper
Defenders
Midfield
Attackers

Some absolute arsholes have decided to buck the trend and do it the other way round.  Example, but it's not the only one, from a recent Reddit thread:

Kent Morelos Cadeias
Arfield Kamara Jack
Halliday Worrall Goldson Tavernier
McGregor

WTF is that all about?  McGregor playing as the lone striker?  

See the source image

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:55, milton75 said:

That fucking "Someone's knockin' at the door" shitehouse of a song that's on the Postcode Lottery adverts all the time.

And what makes it worse is we're not allowed to enter.

Not having players on the post for corners. I suppose it's probably a bit old fashioned now but it would save quite a few goals being conceded for teams.

Whilst I'm on the subject of corners, zonal marking. Total w**k that just doesn't work.

Managers who go mental about opposition players diving whilst allowing their own players to do the same.

By allowing, and almost certainly encouraging, their own players to dive, managers are just contributing to a culture where diving is not only acceptable, but also encouraged.

Me and my partner received a gift voucher for a holiday in Loch Lomond from her parents at Christmas. I'm a teacher and she is a shift worker so it only left very select weekends available. The voucher expires at the end of March, so we decided she'd try and use her holidays for each weekend in March so we could book one as it coincides with my birthday too.

The other half finally gets her rota and we are free pretty much every weekend in March. She received a rude as hell guy on the phone who basically said they're fully booked each weekend in March (Fair enough thems the breaks as disappointing as it is, it's the risk we took I suppose) but the guy went on to say, before my other half could even reply, 'And if you can't do midweek, you may as well just give your voucher to someone else' and hung up.

Fuming with the dick and we have no point of recourse. Shite laugh and incredible rudeness.

17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Managers who go mental about opposition players diving whilst allowing their own players to do the same.

By allowing, and almost certainly encouraging, their own players to dive, managers are just contributing to a culture where diving is not only acceptable, but also encouraged.

I don't remember Glen Kamara ever taking a dive or going  down easily while he was with Dundee. Two games into his Rangers career and he's hitting the deck in the penalty box like he's taken a head shot from a sniper after a gust of wind from Daniel Bachmann's shoulder.  Quite the insight into Stevie G's pre-match tactical masterclass.