Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Gonna try not think about it. Have until April so quite a bit away however going to see what is out their job wise.
Last week of March a heat map comes down that will tell us what staff is needed but end result is whether I'm kept or not.
f**k Tesco m9. I was there today, what a rip off. They are responding to how their customers want to shop? GTF. I want my trolley load for about 30 quid less than I paid. Eyeopener.

A man of your calibre can and will do better.

Gonna try not think about it. Have until April so quite a bit away however going to see what is out their job wise.
Last week of March a heat map comes down that will tell us what staff is needed but end result is whether I'm kept or not.

I’d want to know just to make sure I know where I am worst case scenario. Hopefully it doesn’t come to it in any event.

People who insist on putting apostrophes to denote plurals of abbreviations or acronyms*.   e.g. MOT's instead of MOTs

My boss keeps editing them into certain presentations or documents I prepare and it boils my piss.

It is grammatically unnecessary and to an extent, plain wrong.

(also people who call abbreviations "acronyms", without realising it needs to be a fancy wee word like SCUBA to be an acronym) 

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

People who insist on putting apostrophes to denote plurals of abbreviations or acronyms*.   e.g. MOT's instead of MOTs

My boss keeps editing them into certain presentations or documents I prepare and it boils my piss.

It is grammatically unnecessary and to an extent, plain wrong.

(also people who call abbreviations "acronyms", without realising it needs to be a fancy wee word like SCUBA to be an acronym) 

Superfluous apostrophes are abundant these days. I see them on here every day. Not sure how or why it started.

On 14/02/2019 at 05:42, NJ2 said:

If there’s nothing in your contract about a minimum period revert to statutory, which is probably a year I would guess

Statutory is 2 years or more for redundancy pay, I think.  Notice is 12 weeks IIRC.

10 hours ago, GordonD said:

Nothing to do with social media; the problem goes back a lot further than that.  Given that I was taught how to use apostrophes properly the decline must have set in after I left school. But even then it was known as the Greengrocer's apostrophe, as seen in signs reading "Apple's 50p a pound" (or however much apples cost; I never bought them).

It's not all about you Gordon!

I reckon every generation has been taught properly but every generation has had dimwits who didn't listen or learn. Social media has just highlighted how many illiterate folk are out there. 

Unfortunately I have to own up to recently putting apostrophes before the 's' after abbreviations/acronyms as I  seem to remember being taught that it can be used if there is a possibility of ambiguity although admittedly there shouldn't be too much confusion when there is a small 's' after a capitalised abbreviation. 

I'd like to apologise to everyone concerned. 

15 hours ago, GordonD said:

Nothing to do with social media; the problem goes back a lot further than that.  Given that I was taught how to use apostrophes properly the decline must have set in after I left school. But even then it was known as the Greengrocer's apostrophe, as seen in signs reading "Apple's 50p a pound" (or however much apples cost; I never bought them).

I recently saw a sign in Amsterdam Airport advertising PANINI'S. Given that PANINI is already plural this somehow manages to be grammatically wrong in two languages at the same time.

2 minutes ago, Northboy said:

I recently saw a sign in Amsterdam Airport advertising PANINI'S. Given that PANINI is already plural this somehow manages to be grammatically wrong in two languages at the same time.

Tbf Dutch apostrophe rules are different, so probably only one error.

image.thumb.png.3480e3cad3da9e2f31ad97a5124e9c60.png

http://www.dutchgrammar.com/en/?n=SpellingAndPronunciation.27

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:
2 hours ago, Northboy said:

Tbf Dutch apostrophe rules are different, so probably only one error.

image.thumb.png.3480e3cad3da9e2f31ad97a5124e9c60.png

Fair enough - but can I drop Dutch and make English and Italian the two languages?

Glad to see some sensible folk are around. Pannini's is an absolute bugbear of mine (Not as bad as a sign I once saw in Kirkcaldy advertising that they now sold "Lattie's") but also I was too late with the Dutch language chat. I only know about the apostrophe rules there from doing Dutch on Duolingo and learning that the plural of menu in Dutch is Menu's (men-ows). Sadly people feel less and less of a need to learn a new language these days which is a real shame. I've learned so much about English (and Scots dialect) from learning Italian and other languages.