Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I sometimes use these if watching mindfuck stuff like black mirror. If I am left wonder WTF was that about, il google it to see if I have missed some obvious interpretation of whats going on.

Its also an easy way to relive something you really enjoyed if you dont have the time to rewatch IMFO (In my fucking opinion)

What? For a trailer? Just wait until the film comes out and watch it.

Pre-arranged knocking of front doors on the news, more so if the person answering pretends to be surprised by the visit that they've probably just had a practice run-through for. 

[knock knock]  "Hiya!  Come in..."

Not going to bother asking who the f*** is it first, huh?   :rolleyes:

Edited by Hedgecutter

29 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Pre-arranged knocking of front doors on the news, more so if the person answering pretends to be surprised by the visit that they've probably just had a practice run-through for. 

On a similar note.

When folk are getting interviewed on the news and they are made to do a stupid walk along the street whilst the interviewer does a voice over.

34 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

On a similar note.

When folk are getting interviewed on the news and they are made to do a stupid walk along the street whilst the interviewer does a voice over.

There is also a thing called 'nodding sequences' - where, during an interview, they cut to a picture of the listener(s) who are nodding along with what is being said.

I've was involved years ago making a piece for my employers' in-house broadcast channel, and at one point they filmed me just sitting nodding and trying to look interested.  Those bits were then spliced into the actual film later on, at parts that the production team felt were appropriate.

43 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

The cameraman already inside the house is also a bit of a giveaway.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

All those storage wars type shows do that to fill the time and inject some drama into two lads bickering over who gets to buy some bags of fusty clothes.

The fact that the big moment is when they get the massive bolt-cutters out for the "reveal" when any competent facility owner would surely demand a spare key for the units, to allow easy access in the case of emergencies/police requests/sheer bloody nosiness*. All those padlocks fúcked for no good reason.

*Or a quick check to make sure the contents will make good telly...

48 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
56 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:
What? For a trailer? Just wait until the film comes out and watch it.

Sorry didnt notice the trailer bit I thought you meant analysis of episodes etc

Aye for actual movies I'll sometimes read some Wikipedia after if I'm unsure what went on.

There is also a thing called 'nodding sequences' - where, during an interview, they cut to a picture of the listener(s) who are nodding along with what is being said.
I've was involved years ago making a piece for my employers' in-house broadcast channel, and at one point they filmed me just sitting nodding and trying to look interested.  Those bits were then spliced into the actual film later on, at parts that the production team felt were appropriate.

A lot of the Alan partridge mockumentaries like scissored isle and the places of my life are great for highlighting some of these production techniques and when they go badly.

I don’t really mind it in general if the editing is good but it is pretty cringey when the editing is poor and exposes it badly.

On a separate PTTGOYN, I have a mate who got drunk and caused damage at a function back in December.
The hotel agreed not to press charges if he paid them the damage, which is fair enough.
He got the invoice through this week and is raging about the cost and chasing them for proof of costs etc.
I’m sure there is sense to this but...he got drunk and acted a c**t, take your medicine and pay up. He’s acting like a wronged consumer and not some fuckwit trying to avoid a police charge.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

i reckon all of greg wallaces gurning reactions for masterchef are filmed in a 2 hr block with a director shouting "intrigued, perplexed, dubious, grin like a maniac etc...." and then spliced in at the appropriate juncture.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

I think you'll like this.

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

I appreciate where you are coming from but it's the complete unwillingness to change anything, even in cases where we try to be accommodating. Both of us work an hour(Opposite directions) from the town we stay in and are looking to buy in, which makes standard hours difficult. I have offered to view places early(8am rather than 10am) which would mean me starting work a little late, or 5:30pm, which means leaving work at least an hour early, but the fuckers still refuse to budge. Anything outside of that would mean taking a half day or a day off work, and the holiday time I have available makes that next to impossible.

The irony is we are sitting with a 6 figure deposit and a few of the places we are trying to view have been on the market for months. They are literally doing themselves out of a likely commission simply because they are unwilling to make just a little bit of effort to meet us in the middle.

On  two of the few occasions that we have actually had someone willing to help us out in that respect, we made offers. Unfortunately, some other c**t got in there first in both cases.

ETA: Another thing that is annoying me is the number of adverts that don't say exactly where the house is. We have a relatively small area that we are considering, but what a lot of agents here do is advertise as "In the region" or just give the name of the town. I'm fed up sending emails asking where in the region the fucking thing is, just to end up ruling it out. On the plus side, my knowledge of the local geography is now tremendous.

All I'd say is harangue the agent by phone. Emails are easy to bat off but making it clear of your domestic arrangements and financial position (and are you currently renting?) and making a general (pleasant) nuisance will go a long way. If you can make it plain that you are an easy sale you'll rocket up their priorities. 

As for the stuff lingering on the market, that'll be because it is overpriced or there is something else fundamentally up with it or the vendor (unwilling divorce for example). I'd not lose sleep over those.

And the non-specific adverts are also a waste of time. That's a vendor who will not appoint/contract with a sole selling agent but instead has offered their property to a number of agents on the basis of a finders fee - they find a buyer, they get a fee. Invariably people who are just fishing to see if there is someone daft enough out there to give them their (usually inflated) price.

Or  - left field and initially maybe seemingly extravagant, but - given your lack of time, I'd say reverse engineer it. Appoint your own agent to find, negotiate and acquire a property for you? Give them (the very specific) parameters, get them to do the initial viewing and report back before you  get involved.

1. It saves your precious time;

2. It rules out the patently unsuitable;

3. Having someone negotiate on your behalf (for a time poor foreign buyer with a large deposit - an attractive sale prospect) gets your chap/ess in the door duing normal hours and, if it passes muster, I suspect you'll find the selling agent far more accommodating on a second out of hours viewing; and

4. Whatever they'll be charging you (1-2% of purchase price) I fully expect you'll save in the eventually agreed and negotiated price. 

5. And the completely unethical but usual conclusion of that approach is that when your agent gets a new vendor instruction that meets your criteria from another client, you'll be the first to view, the agent will get an easy sale and two fees, not that they'll likely disclose that to either of you. Not the way we do things here but it happens. Just got to play with the rules in your geography.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Pretty sure I added this into the thread a while back.

BBC is chronic for this, especially those cringey 'investigative reports' on Reporting Scotland by what's-his-pus*

*completely separate PTTGOYN just by himself. 

28 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

All I'd say is harangue the agent by phone. Emails are easy to bat off but making it clear of your domestic arrangements and financial position (and are you currently renting?) and making a general (pleasant) nuisance will go a long way. If you can make it plain that you are an easy sale you'll rocket up their priorities. 

As for the stuff lingering on the market, that'll be because it is overpriced or there is something else fundamentally up with it or the vendor (unwilling divorce for example). I'd not lose sleep over those.

And the non-specific adverts are also a waste of time. That's a vendor who will not appoint/contract with a sole selling agent but instead has offered their property to a number of agents on the basis of a finders fee - they find a buyer, they get a fee. Invariably people who are just fishing to see if there is someone daft enough out there to give them their (usually inflated) price.

Or  - left field and initially maybe seemingly extravagant, but - given your lack of time, I'd say reverse engineer it. Appoint your own agent to find, negotiate and acquire a property for you? Give them (the very specific) parameters, get them to do the initial viewing and report back before you  get involved.

1. It saves your precious time;

2. It rules out the patently unsuitable;

3. Having someone negotiate on your behalf (for a time poor foreign buyer with a large deposit - an attractive sale prospect) gets your chap/ess in the door duing normal hours and, if it passes muster, I suspect you'll find the selling agent far more accommodating on a second out of hours viewing; and

4. Whatever they'll be charging you (1-2% of purchase price) I fully expect you'll save in the eventually agreed and negotiated price. 

5. And the completely unethical but usual conclusion of that approach is that when your agent gets a new vendor instruction that meets your criteria from another client, you'll be the first to view, the agent will get an easy sale and two fees, not that they'll likely disclose that to either of you. Not the way we do things here but it happens. Just got to play with the rules in your geography.

We're now in the habit of explaining to every agent that we deal with what our circumstances are. The two we have made a bid on were different agents, they tend to send us anything coming close to what we looked at with them before it is added online. The rest are still incredibly difficult. Option 3 above is something we considered but having spoken to a couple of folk here who went down the same route, the costs involved seem fairly prohibitive.

FWIW, a 6 figure deposit here is standard. Need to add another 0 on before it moved me up any lists. Banks here want a minimum of 20% deposit, and house prices start around 600k where we are looking...

Edited by Ross.

picked my missus up from work and in the 10 minutes that took our dog managed to find and eat a packet with 4 ibuprofen in it! the packet was in my rucksack in the cupboard so a very impressive feat. trip to the vet and a £120 bill!

Just now, ah-dee said:

picked my missus up from work and in the 10 minutes that took our dog managed to find and eat a packet with 4 ibuprofen in it! the packet was in my rucksack in the cupboard so a very impressive feat. trip to the vet and a £120 bill!

You should have kicked it in the pie.

Not that it would have felt anything.