Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Why do you have to sit about and wait on her friend visiting, can you not just leave the house and make yourself scarce for an hour or two if she’s an airhead?

Punched and broke a mans jaw, fortunately it was his  own .knocked the fucker out, still posts.,

Edited by SlipperyP

Slightly hypocritical as I use my phone a reasonable amount, but I am getting increasingly seething everyday at the amount of people who walk around with their head buried in their phone all the fucking time.

Even worse when they're walking down narrow corridors/up or down stairs/crossing roads without even looking up from whatever pointless shit is on their phone.

It's actually quite depressing seeing the obsession people have.

21 hours ago, throbber said:

Have to sit about and wait for my girlfriends airhead of a friend

I have to go around to her granny’s house 

Jesus f**k. Not even married and she already owns yer baws.

Well at least saves on the signing over ceremony at the wedding where most guys buckle.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Slightly hypocritical as I use my phone a reasonable amount, but I am getting increasingly seething everyday at the amount of people who walk around with their head buried in their phone all the fucking time.

Even worse when they're walking down narrow corridors/up or down stairs/crossing roads without even looking up from whatever pointless shit is on their phone.

I thought it was more of an Asian thing because I've been over here for a few years now. But on a trip home last year I was making the short train hop from Edinburgh Park into the city centre and couldn't get a seat. From my standing position near the door I noticed that every single person on the train apart from me was staring at a phone. Every one.

Nobody talking. Nobody reading a book. Nobody looking out the window and daydreaming or thinking about something. Literally every person was looking at their phone. It's really quite sad.

It's amazing the extent to which tech companies have managed to convince us as a species that we absolutely need these devices and must have them on us all the time all the time all the time.

Since that journey I've made a conscious effort to leave my phone at home whenever I go out to meet someone one on one, or when I go for a walk, or when I go for a coffee with a book. It's really creepy how ingrained the use and presence of these devices in our lives has become. Quite unsettling in a way.

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Turning into my work's car park this morning and some fat arsehole wobbled right out in front of me with her head buried in her phone.  Scared the shite out her when I lent on the horn for longer than was absolutely necessary. 

5 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I thought it was more of an Asian thing because I've been over here for a few years now. But on a trip home last year I was making the short train hop from Edinburgh Park into the city centre and couldn't get a seat. From my standing position near the door I noticed that every single person on the train apart from me was staring at a phone. Every one.

Nobody talking. Nobody reading a book. Nobody looking out the window and daydreaming or thinking about something. Literally every person was looking at their phone. It's really quite sad.

It's amazing the extent to which tech companies have managed to convince us as a species that we absolutely need these devices and must have them on us all the time all the time all the time.

Since that journey I've made a conscious effort to leave my phone at home whenever I go out to meet someone one on one, or when I go for a walk, or when I go for a coffee with a book. It's really creepy how ingrained the use and presence of these devices in our lives has become. Quite unsettling in a way.

If I'm getting the train or bus by myself I spend most time fannying about online on my phone or playing a game. It's a decent way to pass the time.

If I'm with folk however then the phone will be in the pocket and we'll be chatting.

I hate going in to a pub and seeing groups of folk sitting at tables all on their phones and not talking to each other, probably posting on social media about how great a time they're having. 

4 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Turning into my work's car park this morning and some fat arsehole wobbled right out in front of me with her head buried in her phone.  Scared the shite out her when I lent on the horn for longer than was absolutely necessary. 

Should have run her over. It's nature's way of thinning the herd.

8 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Agree.  Your last paragraph is something I'm considering too, just distancing myself from it.  I've left all whatsapp groups that aren't for a particular purpose like organising something, as a mere 'group chat' is such a waste of time.  99% utter drivel, just a zombie existence.

9 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I'm with DA Baracus, just mow them down.

There is no doubt they are fantastic tools and certainly my go to when I am alone and bored. I make an active effort to minimise it when I am with others though.

I was at the Butchershop in Glasgow recently. For most folk its priced such that its a sort of special meal I would say. Not everyday certainly. Still even in a place like that there were couples buried in phones or with phones out on the table. Get that tae f**k.

As an aside, Mrs B is getting worse and worse for it recently.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Nothing about the post makes sense, why did he quote Monkmans post about how I could alternatively have spent yesterday’s early afternoon?

I took it as that was how he spent his afternoon, punching other men...

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

There is no doubt they are fantastic tools and certainly my go to when I am alone and bored. I make an active effort to minimise it when I am with others though.

I was at the Butchershop in Glasgow recently. For most folk its priced such that its a sort of special meal I would say. Not everyday certainly. Still even in a place like that there were couples buried in phones or with phones out on the table. Get that tae f**k.

As an aside, Mrs B is getting worse and worse for it recently.

I had to recently pull my brother up for similar stuff. We live in different countries so we don't see each other too much, but we get on well. Recently visited him and went out for a pint, just the two of us, on the second or third night. After about half an hour I said "Should I just go?" as he'd spent most of the time texting people back and forward. Unbelievable. I'd have been as well sitting there by myself.

He seemed genuinely surprised that I was annoyed at his behaviour.

I recently knocked back an offer of a date with a woman I know through work. She's really nice and I get on with her. But she's constantly glued to her phone and I know it would drive me up the wall. She'll sit in the pub in company glued to the thing, ignoring those around her. Not for me.

I find behaviour like that in a social setting utterly baffling.

Edited by JTS98

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I had to recently pull my brother up for similar stuff. We live in different countries so we don't see each other too much, but we get on well. Recently visited him and went out for a pint, just the two of us, on the second or third night. After about half an hour I said "Should I just go?" as he'd spent most of the time texting people back and forward. Unbelievable. I'd have been as well sitting there by myself.

I recently knocked back an offer of a date with a woman I know through work. She's really nice and I get on with her. But she's constantly glued to her phone and I know it would drive me up the wall. She'll sit in the pub in company glued to the thing, ignoring those around her. Not for me.

Why don't you sit in the house and text this girl as a date?

Seems that would be her kind of evening. Also pretty sure you can't get her pregnant from Sexting.

Unsure if you're seen as a slag for sexting on the 1st date

6 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I was at the gym the other day and there was two guys and a girl (maybe 17/18) working out together sat on gym mats.  They'd spend about 10 seconds doing an exercise, stop, and spend the next few minutes staring at their phone and not saying a word to each other.

Utterly bizarre behaviour and they were in the way of folk who were actually trying to workout.

I was amazed to find out that a lot of folk sleep with their phones under their pillow.

I was also amazed to find that folk have all their notifications turned on even when trying to sleep. Absolute mentalist behaviour. Just turn off Wi-Fi and/or data.

The only reason my phone is in my bedroom when I go to bed is because it acts as my alarm. It still gets turned down to the lowest volume without it being on mute and placed face down on the wee bedside table.

There's a boy at work always on his phone. He thinks he's being stealthy by having it on his leg or in a drawer but when he's hunched over looking at it it's incredibly obvious what he's doing. He's been warned a few times about it and I keep trying to tell him to stop being so obvious but he's going to end up in bother over it. So stupid.

I have my phone on mute 80% of the time, only off it when I'm expecting a call or when a game on that I want notifications from.

This is to break the Pavlovian effect the notification beep was having where I just had to know what was arriving, even if it was just a news update from BBC or similar.

The instant gratification effect of responding to notifications is amazing. The other half is almost climbing the wall if she cannot at least see what has arrived within 30 seconds of the beep. It was almost a retraining exercise for me to spend less time on my phone