Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

How long as the speed limit been 70mph on a motorway specifically?

I could be wrong but i'd imagine 70mph is a bit dated given the advancements to the saftey of cars in this day and age.

On the other side of the coin I think 20mph is more than adequate in built up town and city areas.

**edit to add - 70mph was introduced in 1965 :o

Edited by Mallo_Madrid

1 minute ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

I could be wrong but i'd imagine 70mph is a bit dated given the advancements to the saftey of cars in this day and age.

On the other side of the coin I think 20mph is more than adequate in built up town and city areas.

I talked to a traffic cop who said they wouldn't do anyone at 79mph if they were driving safely, but anyone at 80mph they would. 

1 minute ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

Since 1965.

Cars might have gotten safer, drivers have not.  Surely an increase of 10mph would just push everyone up 10mph - the guys now driving at 80mph wouldn't stick to 80mph, they'd likely follows the 10% plus thinking

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

And what happens when a shit driver who doesn't realise they're a shit driver speeds?  I appreciate you guys all think you are competent and good drivers, but I imagine just about everyone who speeds thinks that too.

Also, a quick google search proves your last line completely wrong, from WHO:

"An increase in average speed of 1 km/h typically results in a 3% higher risk of a crash involving injury, with a 4–5% increase for crashes that result in fatalities"

Of course it's more dangerous, less time to react to the unexpected and more difficult to control in an emergency.

Just now, hk blues said:

Since 1965.

Cars might have gotten safer, drivers have not.  Surely an increase of 10mph would just push everyone up 10mph - the guys now driving at 80mph wouldn't stick to 80mph, they'd likely follows the 10% plus thinking

I'm no expert, but  a ford Cortina going 70mph on a motorway in 1965 would definately have been far more dangerous than a modern day car going at 80mph.

11 minutes ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

I'm no expert, but  a ford Cortina going 70mph on a motorway in 1965 would definately have been far more dangerous than a modern day car going at 80mph.

But in 1965 the motorways were mostly empty, now they are a lot busier and have multiple lanes, rather than just 2 or 3.  More trucks doing 59.9 mph. Express buses. 

Overall, driving on a motorway is more dangerous today than it was 50 years ago.

15 minutes ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

It's rarely the car that causes an accident - usually the driver.  The impact of the accident might be diminished nowadays, but I'm not convinced the number of accidents is less

46 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Being a shit driver is more dangerous than speeding though. If you can drive at 80 and be competent then you shouldn’t ever really crash unless someone else fucks up.

Isn't that the point? You could be the instructor who taught the Stig everything he knows but it you're tooling along at 80 and the guy in front of you does something unexpected you have less time to react and avoid hitting him than if you were within the limit.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Why use the horn? What does that achieve?

Usually when I'm forced to undertake a lane hogger i like to get their attention and make sure they know what an arsehole they are.

I didn't think doing it infront of the police was the best way to go.

1 hour ago, Gaz FFC said:

Usually when I'm forced to undertake a lane hogger i like to get their attention and make sure they know what an arsehole they are.

I didn't think doing it infront of the police was the best way to go.

I just greenied your "f**k the police" post. I feel cheated now. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

There are track days and things you can go to if you want to drive fast, endangering yourself and others on public roads isn't something I'd recommend.  

I don't endanger myself or others though. That's my point I suppose.

Just because you think something is dangerous, it might not be. Or I might not think it is dangerous. We all perceive hazards differently. We all drive differently. Our cars have different capabilities. Some of can use that capability, some can't. 

No nuns or kittens die the minute I stray +1mph over the posted limit. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'm sure most speeders who end up wrapped around a tree thought that conditions and traffic were fine for them to be speeding too.

Well they're not very good at it then are they? 

Some people are though. There's a time and a place for it, it's as simple as that. 

FWIW I think the nsl on a single carriageway will be 50mph in 10 years time :( 

Bloody 50 limits popping up everywhere, mostly for no reason at all :angry: 

1 minute ago, Trackdaybob said:

I don't endanger myself or others though. That's my point I suppose.

Just because you think something is dangerous, it might not be. Or I might not think it is dangerous. We all perceive hazards differently. We all drive differently. Our cars have different capabilities. Some of can use that capability, some can't. 

No nuns or kittens die the minute I stray +1mph over the posted limit. 

Well they're not very good at it then are they? 

Some people are though. There's a time and a place for it, it's as simple as that. 

What a stupid argument. The World Health Organisation (not the only organisation but an example in this case) deem driving at higher speeds dangerous, hence governments put law in place which limits those dangers. It's not just me sitting here deeming something dangerous, the stats are there to prove it (see my earlier speeding line). The fact that you've never crashed doesn't mean that it's fine for anyone who feels competent enough (much like you do) to drive at whatever speed they like. Everyone passes a competency test for driving and then they're given a license to drive under the current laws in place.  We can't have whataboutery determining whether it's fine to drive at 90mph on a motorway. (Of course nothing dies every time you go 1mph over the limit - nobody has suggested that).

5 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

FWIW I think the nsl on a single carriageway will be 50mph in 10 years time :( 

Bloody 50 limits popping up everywhere, mostly for no reason at all :angry: 

No, if roads are dropped to 50 limits it's to stop the folk who think they're Michael Schumacher from killing themselves or others on roads which have seen a lot of accidents. They don't just pick random speed limits for every road, you know.

3 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

This thread is becoming PTTGOMN. Do away with speed limits and let it be survival of fittest/fastest

Edit to fix stupid typo

The problem is that if you drove at 90mph and hit a bridge support nobody would shed a tear.

If you hit a minibus full of handicapped kids then they suffer even though they weren't at fault.

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

The problem is that if you drove at 90mph and hit a bridge support nobody would shed a tear.

If you hit a minibus full of handicapped kids then they suffer even though they weren't at fault.

So if it was non handicapped kids , that’s ok then ? 

4 minutes ago, GordonD said:

At least they're used to it.