Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Maybe this is better suited to the Pish Adverts thread but it's not about one in particular. It's any advert that uses the word 'selected', as in (to choose one at random) Tesco's special offers that are "available in selected stores". Makes me wonder who selects them and what their criteria are. 
"Holyrood Road?"
"Yes, that's just round the corner from the Parliament. The MSPs will think those are the prices everywhere."
"Earl Grey Street?"
"Yeah, all right."
"Nicolson Street?"
"Nah, that's down the road from the University. All the students will go there - f**k 'em."

I know when I worked at KFC it was a franchised store and as a result they didn't always offer the deals that were advertised on TV. Which was always great fun trying to explain to the lovely general public.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

A bit of a crossover from the "Annoying things people post on Facebook" but I see this on other Social Media too. And it's less of a "Petty Thing That Gets on Your Nerves" and more of a "Things That Crush Your Soul."

It's the realisation that I'm now of an age where my contemporaries are obsessed with bragging about how much better things were when we were kids because "We played outside, we ate fish and chips, not MacDonalds, we didn't have smartphones...etc. etc." When I was a kid, our parents never stopped telling us how they didn't have the things we had, they were working down t' pit at our age and on and on and on. It was tedious then and it's tedious now.

Look, the world has moved on since you were a kid. That doesn't in itself make you morally superior to people born later. In many ways life is better than it was 50 years ago, other ways perhaps not. 50 years from now it will have changed again but that won't make today's children any kind of hot shit although I fear they'll also be bragging about their childhood as if it did.

You're old. You aren't special. Get the f**k over it.

Nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia. 

Guest Moomintroll
Maybe this is better suited to the Pish Adverts thread but it's not about one in particular. It's any advert that uses the word 'selected', as in (to choose one at random) Tesco's special offers that are "available in selected stores". Makes me wonder who selects them and what their criteria are. 
"Holyrood Road?"
"Yes, that's just round the corner from the Parliament. The MSPs will think those are the prices everywhere."
"Earl Grey Street?"
"Yeah, all right."
"Nicolson Street?"
"Nah, that's down the road from the University. All the students will go there - f**k 'em."

In Tescos case the promotions will usually apply to the bigger stores as they charge higher prices for the same products in their Express and Metro convenience formats. They probably have to put the selected store thing in to protect themselves legally.

9 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia. 

Of course not and if it was simply a case of reminiscing then I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's the smug superiority of "We're better than you because..." that pisses me off.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

A bit of a crossover from the "Annoying things people post on Facebook" but I see this on other Social Media too. And it's less of a "Petty Thing That Gets on Your Nerves" and more of a "Things That Crush Your Soul."

It's the realisation that I'm now of an age where my contemporaries are obsessed with bragging about how much better things were when we were kids because "We played outside, we ate fish and chips, not MacDonalds, we didn't have smartphones...etc. etc." When I was a kid, our parents never stopped telling us how they didn't have the things we had, they were working down t' pit at our age and on and on and on. It was tedious then and it's tedious now.

Look, the world has moved on since you were a kid. That doesn't in itself make you morally superior to people born later. In many ways life is better than it was 50 years ago, other ways perhaps not. 50 years from now it will have changed again but that won't make today's children any kind of hot shit although I fear they'll also be bragging about their childhood as if it did.

Correct!

Smart phones are great. Remember having to find a red phone box that was working, and make sure you had enough change to phone the girlfriend or your mates.

6 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

On the out of date stuff. I was at the local bus station today and was a little peckish while waiting on picking someone up. Walked over to the house/shop and bought a bag of crisps "sweet & sour with onion" the bag had a strange design, which I passed as being a new thing. First crisp was a little chewy, so looked at the date 15/04/15. Tried again, in fact I finished half the bag before giving up.
Will I die?

Almost certainly. The local canine populace will rejoice.

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I was completely wrong about this, just goes to show that you. Something.

Was it actually 100% then?

if they watched the back to the future films they would be prepared for the eorld changing!

Insurance companies*.

Renewal quote sent today for my car insurance and it's slightly up from last year. I've not made any changes or had any claims or incidents. I shopped around and got a quote from someone else at £180 cheaper so didn't even hesitate to go with them. Phone the other mob and when you tell them it's too expensive and you're leaving, this line is what winds me up: "OK, well I can have a wee look and see if I can get the price down for you". No, you get your wee look to f**k. Your wee look should have taken place months before this phone call. Don't try and rip people off and then bother your arse when they threaten to leave. p***ks.

I'm aware that's how the world works but it's infuriating all the same.

* Any company that offers a renewal price.

Insurance companies*.

Renewal quote sent today for my car insurance and it's slightly up from last year. I've not made any changes or had any claims or incidents. I shopped around and got a quote from someone else at £180 cheaper so didn't even hesitate to go with them. Phone the other mob and when you tell them it's too expensive and you're leaving, this line is what winds me up: "OK, well I can have a wee look and see if I can get the price down for you". No, you get your wee look to f**k. Your wee look should have taken place months before this phone call. Don't try and rip people off and then bother your arse when they threaten to leave. p***ks.

It's a problem that's endemic in our society now, and those affected the worst are the vulnerable and elderly.

TV deals, insurance, energy bills. In order to get the best deals you need to be absolutely on the ball and on top of your affairs.

Loyalty means f**k all, other than you're guaranteed to get shafted. It's a sad state of affairs.

Insurance companies*.

Still astounds me that anyone actually gets wound up at a renewal dropping thru their door at a higher price than last year.

I worked in insurance many moons ago when folk really started going online to compare and companies are that desperate to be in the top few names on comparison sites that policies get sold at such a loss that it would take at least 2 years before they would make a penny off a customer so it's literally impossible for the same company to continually reduce every single customers price every year.

Some people prefered to be mortally offended by any increase and cancel amid much frothing of mouth and threats of going to the financial ombudsman and with promises that they'll never ever do business with a company as crooked ever again.

Untill next year when our price was £10 cheaper than their renewal with new company.

Still astounds me that anyone actually gets wound up at a renewal dropping thru their door at a higher price than last year.

I worked in insurance many moons ago when folk really started going online to compare and companies are that desperate to be in the top few names on comparison sites that policies get sold at such a loss that it would take at least 2 years before they would make a penny off a customer so it's literally impossible for the same company to continually reduce every single customers price every year.

Some people prefered to be mortally offended by any increase and cancel amid much frothing of mouth and threats of going to the financial ombudsman and with promises that they'll never ever do business with a company as crooked ever again.

Untill next year when our price was £10 cheaper than their renewal with new company.

My issue isn't the slight increase in price. My issue is their willingness to reduce that price but only after I've phoned to say I'm not paying what they are asking for. If you can afford to give me something for X amount of pounds then give me it for that price. Don't wait for me to phone you complaining and then act like you've done me a favour by reducing it.

My issue isn't the slight increase in price. My issue is their willingness to reduce that price but only after I've phoned to say I'm not paying what they are asking for. If you can afford to give me something for X amount of pounds then give me it for that price. Don't wait for me to phone you complaining and then act like you've done me a favour by reducing it.

That's what my point is tho. They can't afford to give everyone it at a reduced price , if they did they would go bust in a matter of weeks , but they may be willing to do it on an individual basis in the hope that they may then make some money off that customer next year. Where I worked there was very little leeway and either way I couldn't give a rat's ass if I could save the customer or not but just couldn't stand people being a dick about it.