Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I still find it astounding that adults read Harry Potter books willingly.

Really? I think they are fantastic. I've re-read the entire series a couple of times as an adult and I'm hard-pressed to think of a book series as good as Harry Potter. I'm really looking forward to when my daughter will be old enough to read Harry Potter so I can share the books with her.

2 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Really? I think they are fantastic. I've re-read the entire series a couple of times as an adult and I'm hard-pressed to think of a book series as good as Harry Potter. I'm really looking forward to when my daughter will be old enough to read Harry Potter so I can share the books with her.

I'm beginning to understand your fondness for Tony Blair.

I'm with Jmo I loved the Harry Potter books, although I read them from when I was about 9 through to 16. Don't know if I'd pick one up and give it a go now if they'd just came out though.

I'm probably the same. Grew up with them, last one came out when I had just turned 18.

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

^^^^^ Tried reading them but his lips got tired.

I was persuaded to read the first one by my nieces and nephew, which was ok for a kid's book, and tried to finish the second which was identical and gave up half way through. Nothing wrong with enjoying them but don't pretend they're adult literature.

Are you only 26? [emoji33]

You're a very mature laddie Jmo.

And yeah I'm exactly the same was year for year with him in most of the books when I was reading them.

How old did you think I was? Think that's the first time anyone's called me mature before, must come across a lot more dour on here than in real life. :lol:

. Nothing wrong with enjoying them but don't pretend they're adult literature.

Agree.

I love them, films are decent as well (also quite good for a drinking game). Although like previous posters I grew up with them.

I was persuaded to read the first one by my nieces and nephew, which was ok for a kid's book, and tried to finish the second which was identical and gave up half way through. Nothing wrong with enjoying them but don't pretend they're adult literature.

Perhaps not 'adult' literature as such, though there are complex themes. I would argue they are better written and more thought provoking than a lot of books aimed for an adult audience.

When I was 18, not long after the final Potter book was released, I was in my first year English lit class at uni and they did the intro thing where you say your name, something interesting about you and your favourite book. Most people before me said things like Wuthering Heights, or Paradise Lost or books by Virginia Woolf or Tolstoy or Dostoevsky etc, I said, completely honestly, 'Harry Potter' and the rest of the room laughed, as if I were joking. Always found that frustrating, and whilst I enjoyed the course, there was something about the literature snobbery from some of the other people on the course which always frustrated me. All I could think was that if it wasn't for Harry Potter I probably wouldn't have even been in that class.