Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

I got accosted by an American woman on Castle Street in Inverness a year or so back demanding to know where the castle was. I pointed out the large castle shaped building on the hill above her and she argued that I was mistaken and that it wasn't the castle. She then pointed at some rabbits on the grass and asked me if they were rabbits. I genuinely don't know if she was taking the piss or just an idiot.

I worked for a farmer on Arran that would take any opportunity to stop and blether with tourists. One day a couple of Yanks were marvelling at how green and lush the island was (mainly cos it rains 364 days a year).

"Oh aye" says Johnny, "That's because the Tourist Board subsidises agricultural fertiliser and adds green dye to it"

"Really" says the Yanks, swallowing every word.

"Aye" says Johnny, totally dead pan. "There's talk of using blue dye next year to celebrate Scotland's Centennial or somesuch"

"Aw gee, that would be amazing. We'll certainly come see that!"

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

I got accosted by an American woman on Castle Street in Inverness a year or so back demanding to know where the castle was. I pointed out the large castle shaped building on the hill above her and she argued that I was mistaken and that it wasn't the castle. She then pointed at some rabbits on the grass and asked me if they were rabbits. I genuinely don't know if she was taking the piss or just an idiot.

There's your answer.

Out of principal I never run for a bus, even if it were the lass bus out of Saigon I would still refuse to run towards out of principal.

I love seeing people marginally miss it, I have seen people shake their fists in a cartoon manner at busses after they have pulled out as well, great to see.

Watching people push the door open button on a train as it departs is better
Hordes of tourists who clog up pedestrian crossings by point blank refusing to cross the road on a red man, even if there is no sign of traffic in either direction.

There are some countries (Germany is first one to come to mind) if the police spot you crossing on a red man they can fine you

15 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

There are some countries (Germany is first one to come to mind) if the police spot you crossing on a red man they can fine you

Aye, the other half (Danish) refuses to cross at a red man in Scotland though I've told her a hundred times.

When I lived in Finland it wasn't uncommon to see people stood waiting for the green man on an empty road at four in the morning.

Edited by DiegoDiego

4 minutes ago, Rowan said:

I had my younger two in Glasgow and they were confused by people not waiting until the green man!

I never cross on red if there's kids around but then you see parents pushing their kids across before green. There's some seriously dangerous ones in Inverness where cars will fly around a corner without warning. My mother is seriously scared of my sister taking her into town on her wheelchair as she's really impatient and won't wait for the signal to change. I've taught her how to slam on the brakes, so that might help.

31 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

America too, famously, although I think the punishment varies between states.

Wouldn't be so bad if the crossings in Phoenix didn't give you enough time to sprint across the roads, and no more  :angry:

I understand kids need to be taught about the green man and crossing when it's safe, but I recently crossed a road at the Red man when it was clear for at least 100 metres in both directions and received a mouthful of abuse from a mother who had a circa 4 Yr old and a baby and a push chair in tow.

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

You should always feel the knob at crossings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-22706881

That's bizarre. The wife's losing her sight, and I was just pointing out those wee twirly knobs to her when we were out yesterday. Knowing me, it's entirely likely that I used the same terrible double-entendre.

Get out of my head, Archer!  :mellow:

I bought a wee stack of CDs today without hearing them first, and they're all shite. It's like being a teenager again, only without paying £15 per disc for the privilege, thankfully.

(yes, you read that right, kids. £15.)

44 minutes ago, Fudge said:

I understand kids need to be taught about the green man and crossing when it's safe, but I recently crossed a road at the Red man when it was clear for at least 100 metres in both directions and received a mouthful of abuse from a mother who had a circa 4 Yr old and a baby and a push chair in tow.

"Pay your child support, ya c**t! Take the bairns to McDonalds every second Saturday and gie me peace!" 

Edited by KnightswoodBear

5 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Aye, the other half (Danish) refuses to cross at a red man in Scotland though I've told her a hundred times.

When I lived in Finland it wasn't uncommon to see people stood waiting for the green man on an empty road at four in the morning.

Reminds me of this picture...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2541440/When-red-light-shows-wait-Moment-law-abiding-PEDESTRIAN-stops-waits-roadworks-sign-intended-traffic.html

article-2541440-1ABE8D1600000578-937_634x814.jpg

14 hours ago, Fudge said:

I remember a female poster on here a while back complained about a guy crossing the road when it wasn't green because they wanted their kids to learn not to, and felt that if there are kids there then everybody should wait to green to help the kids understand. Like you, I get that they need to be taught, but it's not my job, and I'm not going to apologise for crossing an empty road and getting to where I need to be quicker.

Continuity announcers who tell me what programme is on next (fair enough, that's their job) but then go on to say, "If you missed the last episode, don't worry - you can see it on Catch-up."

Who the hell worries about missing a TV programme? I might be a bit disappointed (or at least I would be if I couldn't see it on Catch-up) but it's hardly going to keep me awake at night!

Continuity announcers who tell me what programme is on next (fair enough, that's their job) but then go on to say, "If you missed the last episode, don't worry - you can see it on Catch-up."

It is worse when they do it while the program is still on and you miss the last couple of lines

10 hours ago, Dee Man said:

To the untrained eye, that seems to be someone taking pictures of a school girl from a car.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I remember a female poster on here a while back complained about a guy crossing the road when it wasn't green because they wanted their kids to learn not to, and felt that if there are kids there then everybody should wait to green to help the kids understand. Like you, I get that they need to be taught, but it's not my job, and I'm not going to apologise for crossing an empty road and getting to where I need to be quicker.

Similar situation - crossing where there isn't a crossing, some decent driver stops and waves you across.  You don;t want to go, because you don't want your kids to assume that cars are going to stop for them.  The driver's just being sound, yet you have to act like a dick and throw their courtesy back at them.