First 3 Arrests Of World Cup 2006 .

First English hooligans held at Cologne airport

"THREE Englishmen who vandalised an airport taxi within minutes of arriving in Germany for the World Cup are believed to be the first hooligans of any nationality to be arrested.

The men, from the Midlands, were held in the huge German police operation aimed at minimising trouble during the month-long tournament. They were detained overnight in Cologne and appeared in court yesterday morning where they pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly.

The three verbally abused a taxi driver and attacked his vehicle when he refused to take them to the city centre because they were so drunk. The court fined the men and banned them from Cologne for the duration of the tournament, but they were allowed to go free and are believed to be still in Germany."

I've seen first hand how much 'fun' watching Engurlund can be , during my time down in Cornwall I learned that the pub or town centre is definately not the place to be when England exit a tournament .........

'tiz only a minority mind ;)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Cheyne Stoking

"THREE Englishmen who vandalised an airport taxi within minutes of arriving in Germany for the World Cup are believed to be the first hooligans of any nationality to be arrested.

Will anyone really be surprised by that?.

Of course it IS a minority...but, as ever, it's a sizeable enough minority for this to be just the first of many incidents.

The thing that gets me is the way the media ignore it. I've read threads on the Palace forum about what Croyden has been like after England defeats, riot police and like are needed... yet we hear nothing about it in the media.

So The Times online isn't the media? :unsure:

England getting knocked out of World Cup or European Championship finals is an absolute nightmare down here as all hell breaks loose. Although you want to laugh at them, you daren't leave the house and it takes a brave man to go to the pub. You have to keep a low profile for a couple of days as if someone hears your accent they can get quite aggressive with all the 'who did you support then Jock' nonsense.

But then I've seen them trash the place when they've won as well - take their 2002 win over Argentina for example. Loads of trouble and police out on the night after that. I was out in Birmingham that night and there was all sorts kicking off.

A HEARTS fan accused of hurling racist abuse at a black footballer faces being ordered back to court after appeal judges said his case should never have been thrown out.

William Bell, of The Quilts, Leith, was charged at a match between the Edinburgh side and Celtic at Parkhead on October 16 in 2004.

The 26-year-old was arrested after he allegedly grunted in a the manner of "a monkey, ape or similar primate" every time Celtic player Henri Camara was in possession of the ball.

The move signals a new crackdown on football fans behaviour in Scotland after the appeal judges ruled two sheriffs were wrong to throw out racially aggravated breach of the peace charges.

Bell is one of three football fans in Scotland who face being sent back to court after their cases were originally dropped.

The appeal judges upheld Crown appeals against the decisions and sent the cases back to the sheriffs to deal with them.

Temporary judge Gordon Nicholson QC, who heard the appeals with Lord Johnston and Lord Nimmo Smith, said: "Any conduct which can reasonably be regarded as likely to provoke violence must be regarded as serious."

He said they "totally disagree" with the view that there was something special about a football match which reduced the seriousness of things said or done which might amount to a breach of the peace elsewhere. The judge said: "Given the potential for disturbance at football matches, we consider the opposite is the case."

The appeals followed police intervening to charge three fans at matches in Glasgow.

Bell's defence counsel, Clair Mitchell, said his behaviour had been racist and distasteful, but simply to cause offence was not a breach of the peace.

Dundee supporter Russell Hutchison, 24, of Lochee, in Dundee, was also arrested at Rangers' Ibrox Stadium on December 11 in 2004.

At his trial police said he was observed shouting "f*****g weegie b******s".

Derek Johnstone, 28, of Cumnock, in Ayrshire, was charged after attending an Old Firm derby at Celtic Park on February 20 last year.

Police said they heard Johnstone shout: "Balde you dirty black b*****d," at Celtic player Bobo Balde.

Ive seen at first hand the racisim of Scottish supporters. Apparently riot police are needed when the Old Firm play each other in towns across the central belt. It goes ignored by the media.

Ive seen at first hand the racisim of Scottish supporters. Apparently riot police are needed when the Old Firm play each other in towns across the central belt. It goes ignored by the media.

I have never, ever seen the riot police deployed in Greenock for an Old Firm game; a town with one of the largest Celtic Supporters' Clubs in the world located right in the town centre, and a Rangers club in the area, too.

I've been in Glasgow city centre after an Old Firm game. I've seen a fight but, again, I've never seen the riot police deployed.

Presumably you wouldn't have just made it up, but I'd be interested to hear where and when this happened.

On the subject of the article. There's no excuse for racism at the football and there's no way I'll defend it. However, racist abuse, while far from extinct at Scottish grounds, is surely not as much of a problem as it once was. And I'd wager that it's a similar issue here as it is in England.

A HEARTS fan accused of hurling racist abuse at a black footballer faces being ordered back to court after appeal judges said his case should never have been thrown out.

William Bell, of The Quilts, Leith, was charged at a match between the Edinburgh side and Celtic at Parkhead on October 16 in 2004.

The 26-year-old was arrested after he allegedly grunted in a the manner of "a monkey, ape or similar primate" every time Celtic player Henri Camara was in possession of the ball.

The move signals a new crackdown on football fans behaviour in Scotland after the appeal judges ruled two sheriffs were wrong to throw out racially aggravated breach of the peace charges.

Bell is one of three football fans in Scotland who face being sent back to court after their cases were originally dropped.

The appeal judges upheld Crown appeals against the decisions and sent the cases back to the sheriffs to deal with them.

Temporary judge Gordon Nicholson QC, who heard the appeals with Lord Johnston and Lord Nimmo Smith, said: "Any conduct which can reasonably be regarded as likely to provoke violence must be regarded as serious."

He said they "totally disagree" with the view that there was something special about a football match which reduced the seriousness of things said or done which might amount to a breach of the peace elsewhere. The judge said: "Given the potential for disturbance at football matches, we consider the opposite is the case."

The appeals followed police intervening to charge three fans at matches in Glasgow.

Bell's defence counsel, Clair Mitchell, said his behaviour had been racist and distasteful, but simply to cause offence was not a breach of the peace.

Dundee supporter Russell Hutchison, 24, of Lochee, in Dundee, was also arrested at Rangers' Ibrox Stadium on December 11 in 2004.

At his trial police said he was observed shouting "f*****g weegie b******s".

Derek Johnstone, 28, of Cumnock, in Ayrshire, was charged after attending an Old Firm derby at Celtic Park on February 20 last year.

Police said they heard Johnstone shout: "Balde you dirty black b*****d," at Celtic player Bobo Balde.

What a piss poor reply - I expected better.

What a piss poor reply - I expected better.

Would mention of a plane being forced to land at Cardiff be any better? :)

Considering the "FTOF" stance of most people on this board, I don't think you're going to find an impassioned defence of the stupid idiots who caused that to happen :rolleyes: Certainly not from me. They should have been jailed IMO. :D

Considering the "FTOF" stance of most people on this board, I don't think you're going to find an impassioned defence of the stupid idiots who caused that to happen :rolleyes:

True - but I'm not sure I've heard an impassioned defence of the 3 nobs mentioned above either, but there's a bit of a 'look at them' mood about the thread.

I have certainly been warned against turning up at certain pubs down here for England games at Euro 2004 by my mates, for fear of pumped up twats taking out their frustrations on non-english targets :angry:

I think it's fair to say that there has been a continuous increase in 'tension' over the past few (World and Euro) tournaments. I'll freely admit that my nerves have been rubbed rawer this year than has happened in the previous 8 living in Scotland

I have never, ever seen the riot police deployed in Greenock for an Old Firm game; a town with one of the largest Celtic Supporters' Clubs in the world located right in the town centre, and a Rangers club in the area, too.

I've been in Glasgow city centre after an Old Firm game. I've seen a fight but, again, I've never seen the riot police deployed.

Presumably you wouldn't have just made it up, but I'd be interested to hear where and when this happened.

:rolleyes:

When did tri colour waving, soldiers are we singing' Celtic fans EVER represent Scotland? :P

When did tri colour waving, soldiers are we singing' Celtic fans EVER represent Scotland? :P

Possibly never - they're still Scottish though :P

I have certainly been warned against turning up at certain pubs down here for England games at Euro 2004 by my mates, for fear of pumped up twats taking out their frustrations on non-english targets :angry:

There are more than a few pubs down my way I shall not be frequenting, I imagine it gets pretty dodgy when results don't go Englands way. I won't be talking too loudly, that's for sure! Got our world cup watching venue all sorted, plenty of Scottish and Irish to commiserate with each other.

There are more than a few pubs down my way I shall not be frequenting, I imagine it gets pretty dodgy when results don't go Englands way. I won't be talking too loudly, that's for sure! Got our world cup watching venue all sorted, plenty of Scottish and Irish to commiserate with each other.

I'm going straight ito the Lion's den tomorrow...Can't wait.

It's always enjoyable to watch them crying into their pints! :P

I'm going straight ito the Lion's den tomorrow...Can't wait.

It's always enjoyable to watch them crying into their pints! :P

Brave, brave man!

Everyone at work keeps asking if I am supporting England, I keep having to feign indifference or the resulting slagging will be endless....I will be silently laughing away to myself if England suffer another glorious failure though......

Brave, brave man!

Everyone at work keeps asking if I am supporting England, I keep having to feign indifference or the resulting slagging will be endless....I will be silently laughing away to myself if England suffer another glorious failure though......

One of the great aspects of my work is the mix of nationalities...all of which can't wait for the English to go out either :-)

Where you watching the game?

Archived