Firstscotrail Whatever The Feck They're Called

Rugster

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used the megabus a fair bit, and they certainly move! :blink:

I've never had any trouble though, other than the long drive from Aberdeen to London and back a few days later was so boring, and it was nowhere near comfortable enough to sleep in. If you're not going far though, it's worth paying only a couple of quid for.

• 2 weeks later...

What a nightmare of a journey I had home from uni today :( Train left Aberdeen on time and we were on our way to the first stop, which was Dyce, and the bloody lights in our carriage went out, along with the air conditioning and heating. It was already dark at this point so it was pitch black inside the train - quite scary. We managed to get to Dyce, and we noticed that the lights were on in the other carriages in the train, only ours had gone out. Anyway, there was a fair amount of clattering going on under our carriage and then the lights suddenly went back on. Anyway, we're still in Dyce, and have been for about 15 mins and the guy comes on the tannoy and says the train has broken down due to not being able to release the brakes on our carriage and they're working on it. 10 mins later the guys says, and I quote, "we are unfortunately unable to repair the brakes and have declared ourselves failures".... :blink::lol: (I could have told them that). So we were waiting there for about 45 mins while they tried to decide what they were going to do with us and my pal says, "if they're longer than an hour we'll get half our fare back, but knowing Scotrail, they'll be just under the hour and we'll get nothing. That's what usually happens." About ten mins later, the guys comes on the tannoy again and says that they've managed to fix the brakes and on behalf of First Scotrail he would like to apologise for the 58 minute delay.....how convenient. We spent the rest of the journey crapping ourselves that the brakes were going to go wonky again and the lights were on and off the whole time. What a nightmare :(

That is quite amazin - I am still yet to have any kind of problem on the Aberdeen - Inverness route. Actually any train journey at all come to think of it. I must be very lucky!

Thankfully, my latest complaint isn't as bad as Debbie's, but it's still irritating.

As of today, I started my uni day at 9am, as opposed to the 10am starts I had in my first semester. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem, but then you consider First Scotrail's fantastic timetabling. our normal train times going into Glasgow are xx.12 and xx.42 (the 09.12 train was usually perfect for my 10am lecture BTW), but they mess these around in the morning, cancelling the 08.12 and 08.42 services and running trains at 08.00 and 08.33 instead. I only just made the 08.00 train today because I had a feeling they'd do something like that <_<

Is a simple timetable too much to ask for? :rolleyes:

Guest arthur daley

If i ever go to edinburgh i get the X59 bus, cos first scotrail are cnuts :angry: last summer i decided to go shopping in edinburgh, i got a train from kirkcaldy at 09.05, the train stopped at red light between aberdour and dalgety bay, i thought nothing of it, but the train was stopped for 3 HOURS! :angry: they eventually decided to reverse the train back to aberdour, where were told they would send out taxis, i had to wait over an hour for a taxi, i finally got into edinburgh around 3pm!!!!!!!!!

Missed a lecture today because of a lack of information <_<

Standing at Kilpatrick station, when there's an announcement of a points failure at Hyndland, and all services are subsequent to alterations, delays and/or cancellations. Naturally (it is First ScotRail after all), they neglect to add a personal touch and actually announce what alterations there may or not be, and given that Partick is the stop after Hyndland for me, I didn't fancy being stuck at Anniesland waiting for their service via Maryhell <_<

Normally when I leave the house 75 minutes before my lecture is due to start, I expect to be on campus half an hour before it. Today, I had to get a bus and was late :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Finished work today at 4pm and got the 4.13 from perth to Stirling. I got on the train, manged to find my self a vacant table seat...(bonus!), but.......the train just sat at perth station for 25 minutes. No movement , no announcements...nothing.

Eventually,someone came over the tannoy and said, withut an apology, that due to technical difficulties, this train has been cancelled. Just like that.

I eventually got home at 7 o'clock. My shifts are 9 hours long, but I had been out the house since 5.30 in the morning. Stupid public transport. :angry:

Probably worth checking what price FlyBe will give you from Aberdeen to Belfast City.

I checked that too, and that's not overly impressive either! it's cheaper to get to glasgow and fly easyjet to Belfast. The worst thing about the train/ferry is that you can't book it online either, you have to go to the station! I've not got time for that! i've got a mate to book me some flights, so i'll have to pray that my driving license turns up on time otherwise I'll have to pay for that plus the cost of the ferry if it doesn't!

The problem I've found is that there's not enough cheap airlines that fly from Aberdeen. Always worth just heading to Glasgow and going from there if you can. Hell of a cost otherwise! Checking flybe, it's about £60 each way!

The most irritaing thing is that the annual January fare rise (inevitably done just after the Christmas period so it can slide under the radar) is ALWAYS on time and always above inflation, and yet the service hasn't improved in the five years I've been using the train. Their logistical management of even the less complex lines (ie. Aberdeen-Inverness) is fecking shocking, and the prices on the condiments on board are obviously set by the genetic strand of Dick Turpin running through the executive tossers running the company.

To be fair, the buses are no better, and I'll be investing in a pushbike when the better weather reappears.....

They did their best to stop us getting to Edinburgh yesterday. We kenw that the Queen Street line was closed, and we knew they were running special services from Glasgow Central to Edinburgh. What we didn't know until we got to Central (and had parted with £8.90 for fares) was that these services had been cancelled, and replaced with coach services which seemed to be free :angry:

I went up to Aberdeen to jam with my band on Friday.

I bought a "Super Saver" Return (note the ironic use of inverted commas there) and it cost me £52.30.

Unbelievable. As a result, I cannot by a new razor, and look dishevelled and poorly.

I think you had a "Saver" ticket maybe, a Super Saver is cheaper but you can't use it on a Friday.

Take it you don't have a Young Persons Railcard, it is £20 but would nearly have saved £17 on that journey alone.

I went up to Aberdeen to jam with my band on Friday.

I bought a "Super Saver" Return (note the ironic use of inverted commas there) and it cost me £52.30.

Unbelievable. As a result, I cannot by a new razor, and look dishevelled and poorly.

Could you not have gotten an APEX ticket?

Archived