Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 minute ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Last two seasons he’s played almost exclusively on the left of a front 3. Not prolific enough to be a centre forward imo, and he said himself last summer he prefers to play off the left. Works his socks off which I think can be seen more when he plays out wide as well as he’ll track back to help the full back defend. At his worst he’ll miss a few sitters and seem to lack confidence in front of goal, but at his best you’ll love him.

Well, we can add him to the pile then.

18 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

I believe McGill is definitely in talks and I'd imagine Frizzell is too. Both on consillium sports books as well so that helps us a bit and I think Frizzell is tied to consillium sports in more ways than others.

Surely if they want to move on then that’s up to them. 

I know some agencies have better relationships with some clubs but it’s unlikely that the players will patch a move to a bigger club just because of Jackie McNamara.

Edited by D'Jaffo

7 minutes ago, renton said:

Exactly where is his best position? Right up front through the middle, coming in off of wide? Staying wide and hitting the byeline?

Wide left and cutting inside. When Murray signed him in 2019 he tried to play him up front on his own, even putting Calum Gallagher on the wing but it never worked. He spent most of that season then playing wide right where he did well but lacked any cutting edge. Since returning in 2021 he’s generally played wide left, occasionally up front in a two. 

I’ve said for ages that I thought Smith would go to Raith, Murray is clearly a big fan, but I hoped that promotion might tempt him to stay. It’s hard to argue with a presumably longer deal on higher wages though. His performance against Montrose is the single best I’ve ever seen from any player, so I’ll always remember him fondly.

I'm a great one for pace at this level and for that reason alone Smith is massive loss. Each to their own of course but he was the one from our front 3 I was desperate to keep. Gallagher, I don't think can repeat last season's purple patch and I'm not convinced McGill has the ability to be a success in the championship either.

On the plus side, I don't believe Josh O'Connor is here to warm the bench and I'm sure can be better than all of them.

Oh and Ian Murray is a caant!

Edited by Kenny_m

I would definitely have preferred to have kept Smith, but I guess he thought it was his time (oh, and he's probably earning considerably more too). I don't blame Murray, in fact when he went to Raith last summer the only player he took was Easton, so at least we got promotion before he swooped in.

I will always remember Smith's goal in the first leg of the final against Hamilton, which we ultimately needed to take the tie into extra time and penalties. I thank him and wish him all the best.

1 minute ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

I would definitely have preferred to have kept Smith, but I guess he thought it was his time (oh, and he's probably earning considerably more too). I don't blame Murray, in fact when he went to Raith last summer the only player he took was Easton, so at least we got promotion before he swooped in.

I will always remember Smith's goal in the first leg of the final against Hamilton, which we ultimately needed to take the tie into extra time and penalties. I thank him and wish him all the best.

Just watched his interview and he mentions the proximity to his home as a factor. Didn't mention his wage increase but I'm sure that played a part as well.

Yip, all the best Callum but of course I hope you have mare's against us next season.

As some other posters have noted, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed at losing Smithy on some level but I was kind of already resigned to it - it seemed to be well-accepted that he was keen to link up with Murray again (and vice-versa) and I reckon the travel would have been a factor for him. Would be surprised if this was down to contract length, as I reckon he’d have got a 2-year deal with us no bother - I reckon this is down to travel and £££.

He’s been excellent over his two spells and while I would agree that he did go backwards a bit last season, he could never be criticised for his work rate or attitude. I wouldn’t be playing him anywhere other than LW/LF at Raith, as he is at his best when running at defenders and cutting in on his right. However, he’s developed this terrible habit over time of cutting in, and cutting in…and cutting in, until the angle for the shot is gone. I felt after the season finished that if we were to lose any of our starting front 3, I’d want it to be Smithy. You’re unlikely to find many better players when it comes to work rate as well, it has to be said.

Like I say though, he’s been a great servant and seems like a cracking lad, so wish him nothing but the best. Think this was just the right time to move on for all parties.

As far as we’re concerned, a core of Rae, Ballantyne, Dycey, McCabe, Deveney, Gal and McGregor is a really positive start I’d say. Keen that we get Gabby and Frizz tied down, then we can build from there. Can’t argue with any of the released players either.

Edited to add - I keep forgetting about the lads from Hibs!

Edited by thediamonddude

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Surely if they want to move on then that’s up to them. 

I know some agencies have better relationships with some clubs but it’s unlikely that the players will patch a move to a bigger club just because of Jackie McNamara.

You're probably right but we have a good working relationship with the agency and the players are happy enough. That doesn't mean they won't end up else where I just think it strengthens our chances of them staying to be honest.

5 hours ago, Smurph said:

What is the consensus on Ben Stanway? I’d imagine he’ll be in and around our team now instead of looking to loan him out again.

Good player but did fade out of games quite dramatically IMO. Would assume that will cease the more game time he gets at first team level. Played his part in our promotion and was directly involved in some big moments - scoring v Dunfermline, winning the penalty v Falkirk in the play-offs with a clever turn and, according to our Twitter had a high goal involvement (whatever that means). Don’t think he’s ready to be a regular in the Championship. Even for ourselves I would want somebody a bit better, or at least more seasoned at this level. Actually think a full season out on loan playing every week in League 1 would probably be better for him long-term than being a semi-regular for Thistle. That being said, I suppose he could improve by dint of playing regularly at a higher level in a better team. Nice boy and his family were nice too. Hope he goes on to have a good career. 

Always been a huge fan of Smith so I’m gutted to see him away. It’s a real blow. That being said, we can’t begrudge him a move for a higher wage and an easier commute. I’ll always be thankful to him for his goal v Accies and that play-off hat-trick v Montrose is probably the best individual performance I’ve ever seen in a diamond. All the best to him. 

On @Diamonds are Forever’s point about competition, I think in terms of attacking options Raith now have Smith, Easton, Vaughan, Gullan, Hamilton, Connolly, Stanton, Mullin, Ross, Mitchell and Arnott and they even played Scott McGill at #10 at times last season. No idea how they all fit but it’s pure Murrayball and I’m looking forward to finding out! 

Disappointed but not surprised to see Smith go. Always felt he was likely to end up at Raith whether we went up or not. He’s done well but I feel losing either McGill or Frizzell would be a bigger loss after the season they’ve just had.

6 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Doing little to dispel the "Championship's Falkirk" vibes here Jives. @Toby have a word here bud 😂

He’s at the wind up in fairness. The Falkirk fans genuinely believe that their place in Scottish football’s food chain is above the third tier.

We 'll we wanted some news aftershave got it,  probably the best kep t secret in lower league football, Callum Smith signing for Raith,   a player who we will miss,   scores goals, works hard,  team player and technically very good,  of course we will miss him,   think Rhys knew he was gone and signed O Connor who looks similar in style....   Maybe against opinion on here, it is not up to Airdrie To mention anything, he is a free agent with no further affiliation to the club....I

Plenty questions still to be answered of the unsigned but been offered list,   can ATS go round again,   Telfer can he win over the boo boys,   McGill the housewives  favourite can he step up, will his lack of Technical abi!it y find him out,  can Frizzell do it a league up???    Watson who in my opinion is a must sign,  sign...    

lots of questions,  they will be answered soon enough..

4 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

One thing is for sure - we’ll hear from Raith first before Airdrie ever confirms anything 🤣

It's almost like you've done this dance before.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Surely looks like McGill and Frizzell will also be moving after they weren’t announced in the update? 

Not necessarily, Gal and Rae were signed up long before the season ended just not announced and the others may well have been the same. The rest of the squad who are in talks may well have been waiting to see what league we were in before committing to anything and to see what was offered. 

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I'm a great one for pace at this level and for that reason alone Smith is massive loss. Each to their own of course but he was the one from our front 3 I was desperate to keep. Gallagher, I don't think can repeat last season's purple patch and I'm not convinced McGill has the ability to be a success in the championship either.

On the plus side, I don't believe Josh O'Connor is here to warm the bench and I'm sure can be better than all of them.

Oh and Ian Murray is a caant!

Aye good pace in league 1,Murray can't please all his players and I think Smith will find it difficult,but thanks for any goals he scored for us ,Don't think Murray is finished signing our players or ex players yet,