Conference League: The Vote

36 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

Surely a working pyramid group should have been working for the good of the pyramid? Not the old firm.

Are you new to Scottish football?

Seems like it was hoped this would slip through under the radar but too many teams have came oot against it noo and it's getting quite a lot of press. Hopefully it gets voted right doon. I think the reformed pyramid system has potential to be really positive going forward, but it's gonnae involve certain greedy and ambitious boards getting clamped. Get the B teams tae f**k.

1 hour ago, Sparticus said:

The vote for this is tomorrow i think.

No to b teams.

Surely a working pyramid group should have been working for the good of the pyramid? Not the old firm.

The Pyramid Working Group did not come up with this: it's SFA/SPFL/OF driven shite.

But I agree with your sentiment.

48 minutes ago, coineanach said:

Seems like it was hoped this would slip through under the radar but too many teams have came oot against it noo and it's getting quite a lot of press. Hopefully it gets voted right doon. I think the reformed pyramid system has potential to be really positive going forward, but it's gonnae involve certain greedy and ambitious boards getting clamped. Get the B teams tae f**k.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/jun/05/scottish-football-overhaul-celtic-rangers-old-firm

"Scotland’s three tiers underneath the Premiership offer just one automatic promotion spot plus more playoffs, with the nature of them weighted so heavily in favour of the 11th-placed side in the top flight that Championship clubs rarely prevail. The SPFL fiercely protects its own; doing a Luton is the Scottish game’s equivalent of scaling an ice wall in slippers."

10 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/jun/05/scottish-football-overhaul-celtic-rangers-old-firm

"Scotland’s three tiers underneath the Premiership offer just one automatic promotion spot plus more playoffs, with the nature of them weighted so heavily in favour of the 11th-placed side in the top flight that Championship clubs rarely prevail. The SPFL fiercely protects its own; doing a Luton is the Scottish game’s equivalent of scaling an ice wall in slippers."

Posting a Ewan Murray article is cruel and unusual punishment. 

Man needs to stick to golf

Edited by forkboy

8 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

That article by the Guardian's golf correspondent contains so many inaccuracies, including the quote above, that it's hardly worth dissecting.

57 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

The word "rarely" is doing some heavy lifting there.

The Championship team has been promoted through the play-offs 3 times out of 9, or has a 33% success rate if you prefer. I would say that's in line with what you'd expect from even a single one-off game 11th vs 2nd. 

I also don't buy this oft-quoted argument about the play-offs being weighted "heavily" in favour of the Premiership team. If the 2nd-placed team in the Championship makes the final, both teams will have played 38 games across the season. 

55 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Man needs to stick to golf

55 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

That article by the Guardian's golf correspondent contains so many inaccuracies, including the quote above, that it's hardly worth dissecting.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

One promotion spot plus play-offs seems perfectly reasonable for a 10 team league. Inverness, Ross County, Livingston and Gretna have all "done a Luton" in the last 30 years or so.

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

The word "rarely" is doing some heavy lifting there.

The Championship team has been promoted through the play-offs 3 times out of 9, or has a 33% success rate if you prefer. I would say that's in line with what you'd expect from even a single one-off game 11th vs 2nd. 

I also don't buy this oft-quoted argument about the play-offs being weighted "heavily" in favour of the Premiership team. If the 2nd-placed team in the Championship makes the final, both teams will have played 38 games across the season. 

Are you guys telling me that the venerable Guardian golf correspondent and well-known Jambo, Ewan Murray, knows f*ck all about Scottish football ?

Shock, horror.

I don't disagree that tiers 4 to 5 (and below) need to be opened up more in Scotland, but I like how Luton going from National League to the Premier League is being cited as if it's a regular occurrence. I think only Wimbledon and Wigan have played in the Premier League after being promoted from Non League fairly recently beforehand. Neither of those clubs are in a great state these days.

Luton were also a club who should never have been in the non-league in the first place, it would be a bit like Morton somehow ending up in the Lowland League and then working their way up to the top flight.

7 hours ago, forkboy said:

Heh. It's being so cheerful as keeps him going, y'know.

DIsappointed that Inverness have not so far committed. What could possibly be in a COnference League for Caley. Pleased, though, that Maxwell got a hugely unsupportive hearing at a meeting of WoSFL Premier clubs, before his own club voted against it.

Mind you, the influence of the OF and their pals in the SFA/SPFL... Remember that Not the Nine o Clock News sketch where a meeting of trade union leaders breaks for tea/coffee and have a vote to decide which to have. Two blokes vote for coffee, eight for tea, and so it's coffee by three million to one and a half million...*

* No, none of the figures is exact. Haven't seen the sketch for 40-odd years.

9 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Heh. It's being so cheerful as keeps him going, y'know.

DIsappointed that Inverness have not so far committed. What could possibly be in a COnference League for Caley. Pleased, though, that Maxwell got a hugely unsupportive hearing at a meeting of WoSFL Premier clubs, before his own club voted against it.

Mind you, the influence of the OF and their pals in the SFA/SPFL... Remember that Not the Nine o Clock News sketch where a meeting of trade union leaders breaks for tea/coffee and have a vote to decide which to have. Two blokes vote for coffee, eight for tea, and so it's coffee by three million to one and a half million...*

* No, none of the figures is exact. Haven't seen the sketch for 40-odd years.

Caley might be trying to keep the SFA onboard to help revitalise their bid a few years ago to force a B-team into the Highland League.