Motherwell V Dundee Utd

8 minutes ago, kevitt said:

With Dundee Utd now seemingly doomed you'd imagine anyone carrying knocks will be out of this game. Can we see a fairly weakened Utd side in this game?

Not while they still have some lingering hope of pulling off a miracle.

30 minutes ago, kevitt said:

With Dundee Utd now seemingly doomed you'd imagine anyone carrying knocks will be out of this game. Can we see a fairly weakened Utd side in this game?

We have played weakened sides all season so don't see that changing Sunday 

I was really looking forward to this one but fair to say United's incompetence has ruined it somewhat.

Obviously curious whether KVV gets his 30 but I'm not that worked up about it. Ditto seventh or eighth despite the cash.

Much more exciting will be gtf day and the first look at how SK is building for next season. A massive summer (it rarely isn't these days TBF) awaits.

Only a few days ago this was looking to be a crucial game for both sides, with a bumper crowd looking on. Us aiming to hold onto 7th place and be crowned King of the Diddies, United vying to be one of the hapless jesters allowed to remain in our court. Now only the fight for our rightful coronation remains, while the wacky tangerine funsters look to be heading to ply their trade in far less salubrious venues yet again.

Are any Doondonians actually going to make the trip down to support an effectively already doomed side? Do any retain hope of a miracle, and do Birighitti and co. even deserve your time and effort after a truly abysmal season? If it was me I doubt I'd be fucked travelling. 

On the actual outcome of the game,  big Kev will be on a mission for those two goals he craves and I don't see him leaving without them. I'm going for a 4-0 end of season rout with him getting at least two. 

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I was really looking forward to this one but fair to say United's incompetence has ruined it somewhat.

Obviously curious whether KVV gets his 30 but I'm not that worked up about it. Ditto seventh or eighth despite the cash.

Much more exciting will be gtf day and the first look at how SK is building for next season. A massive summer (it rarely isn't these days TBF) awaits.

Aye.

I think these games can go either way. We either turn up and everyone has a nice time and a good laugh while Ciftci takes Accies apart or Turnbull shows up in the big daft game against Livi or everyone just chucks it - see the 3-2 final day loss against ICT or the 2-1 against County after we went up inside 10 minutes in an empty stadium.

Ironically, those two losses saw both Robinson and Alexander lose their shit afterwards and the resulting GTF lists were a lot more brutal than I think many were expecting at the time.

Given the number of players we have either on short term deals, loans or heading out of contract it kind of feels like it's more likely to be the latter. I know Ketts is doing his best to make sure everyone is still invested and on it but equally from a player motivation POV it must be pretty tough not to look at Casey, Paton, Butcher et al all picking up injuries and thinking "f**k that" for the sake of a league place and £65k - that we may hold on to anyway depending on the St Johnstone v. Livi score.

It's as a case of 'job done' given where we were a couple of months ago (11th - on the same points as United in 12th) and where we are now (7th, 16 points ahead of United).

One interesting wrinkle as a result of our injuries is that it's giving Kettlewell a look at his squad depth in terms of what other players can/can't do and whether our back-ups allow us to play the same system.

Edited by capt_oats

27 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

It’s horrible for United fans but I think Dundee United going down at Fir Park will be quite funny as well. 

I've nothing against their fans but had 2,500-3,000 of them been there with a great atmosphere for a do or die encounter, our side (players and fans) would no doubt have got into it.

Maybe just me but I really can't imagine too much feeling being generated on or off the pitch when there's instead 250-300 United fans there to watch something which isn't miles off being a glorified friendly.

United have ruined Sunday for everyone!

Before the Livi game the other night I thought we might be the ones going into this one with nothing to play for and Dundee United fighting to stay up. 

As it is, we've still to tie up 7th and KVV has to hit the 30 goal mark whereas United are gone without so much as a whimper.

I'll go for an entertaining end of season game like when we played the other half of Dundee in similar circumstances a few years ago. 

4-3 Motherwell. 

Will the league's snakiest player slither into the stands, as he should, to support his chums and payer's of his wages in their last hurrah and show his commitment to earning all those lovely £££'s in the Championship next season? Or will he be strolling around in the sun somewhere, no fucks given making TikToks and Vlogs? Could add at least a little atmosphere to the occasion if he turned up to be abused from all corners of the ground. 

10 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Will the league's snakiest player slither into the stands, as he should, to support his chums and payer's of his wages in their last hurrah and show his commitment to earning all those lovely £££'s in the Championship next season? Or will he be strolling around in the sun somewhere, no fucks given making TikToks and Vlogs? Could add at least a little atmosphere to the occasion if he turned up to be abused from all corners of the ground. 

Might turn up to negotiate a hero's return to his local club.

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Might turn up to negotiate a hero's return to his local club.

I suspect quite a few would be up for this, although I very much doubt Kettlewell would be one of them (and I'd side with him). The boy, when he knuckles down, is undoubtedly a massive asset to teams around our level, he's also unfortunately a massively self-serving bellend.  No way he fits into the ethos and mentality Ketts is building. 

He'll negotiate a release from Tannadice and sign permanently with St Mirren, then in around 12-18 months he'll show his true colours and start his pish to agitate for a move yet again. For whatever reason he just cannae help himself.

It's a tall order but is it completely out of the question that United score 4 or 5 and make it interesting? If you'd signed somebody like Tony Watt- who was the league's top scorer at the time- paying a fee to a league rival when he was free to leave in the summer, on top of his 5k a week wages, you'd expect them to be able to drag you through a game like this singlehandedly.

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's a tall order but is it completely out of the question that United score 4 or 5 and make it interesting? If you'd signed somebody like Tony Watt- who was the league's top scorer at the time- paying a fee to a league rival when he was free to leave in the summer, on top of his 5k a week wages, you'd expect them to be able to drag you through a game like this singlehandedly.

It's not but that would require Utd to put on a performance hitherto unseen this season and Motherwell to fold - either may happen but both? 

If a Watt was to be invited back it should be on a six month contract with a guaranteed renewal based on performance. The first time he drops his standards he would be out.

KVV’s goal tally was low last year because Watt scored them.