Misheard Words/Phrases

Gammon Bozo News muscling in on the action here:

Speaking on GB News, Christopher Chope, MP for Christchurch and East Dorset said: "My principal concern is there's a move of foot within the WHO to transform it from being an advisory body... Blah blah blah affront to democracy sovereignty blah blah 

On 26/05/2023 at 14:56, btb said:

Sangwich 🗣️

Sangmeedge.

A young colleague at the restaurant I worked at was breathlessly relaying the excitement from earlier in the shift, where a guest was so blootered that they ate a whole shrimp, including the tail and was choking on it. The manager on duty, she said, had to perform the highland remover. ☺️.

'Shoe-in'

I also remember years ago when I was stuck on couch post back operation watching daytime telly and some skanky family were on Jeremy Kyle shouting at one another and one countered their argument by saying something was so painful they had to 'go to hospickle'.

Was rolling about, howling.

On 24/05/2023 at 15:21, Shotgun said:

Tow the line.

One of those rare ones where both the correct and incorrect uses make sense.

In fact you could argue that 'towing the line' makes more sense as a visual representation (that being pulling in the direction the party wants you to) than 'toe the line' which is derived from getting your foot right on the starting line of a race.

Chopping/chalking off is another. Though in that one, the correct terminology of chalking makes more sense still.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

One of those rare ones where both spellings make sense.

In fact you could argue that 'towing the line' makes more sense as a visual representation (that being pulling in the direction the party wants you to) than 'toe the line' which is derived from getting your foot right on the starting line of a race.

Chopping/chalking off is another. Though in that one, the correct terminology of chalking makes more sense still.

Funnily enough, I thought your 'shoe in' example also made sense albeit it's wrong - the origin of jockeys deliberately slowing their horses down by digging in their feet to allow another to win matches 'shoe in' as well as 'shoo in'.

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Funnily enough, I thought your 'shoe in' example also made sense albeit it's wrong - the origin of jockeys deliberately slowing their horses down by digging in their feet to allow another to win matches 'shoe in' as well as 'shoo in'.

I always thought 'shoo in' stemmed from golf somehow. 

Making that 'shoo' motion to will in a wayward or short putt.

Edited by djchapsticks

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I always thought 'shoo in' stemmed from golf somehow. 

Making that 'shoo' motion to will in a wayward or short putt.

Apparently it comes from  1930s horse racing when race fixing was common.