Misheard Words/Phrases

Tow the line.

A personal one...I've read the Sherlock Holmes stories many, many times over the years, but I always thought the collection "His last bow" was pronounced as in "bow and arrow." Only fairly recently did it dawn on me that this made no sense and it was taking a bow like a performer at the end of the show. Even so, my brain still pronounces it incorrectly.

4 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Up until very recently I've been pronouncing Southampton as "South Hampton".

I feel very foolish indeed.

Spike Milligna, the well known typing error, called one of his Goon Show characters Hugh Jampton. 

As in "huge Hampton". Hampton Wick being rhyming slang... 

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

This is a good opportunity to clear something up. When a goal is disallowed is it "chopped off" or "chalked off"? I always thought the latter but seen it written as the former loads on this site.

Chalk off, https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/chalk-off#:~:text=chalk off in British English,a goal%2C try%2C etc)

Seems related to either scorekeeping on chalk boards, possibly at a bookies, or perhaps crossing over from darts.

Seen a few belters over the years on twitter etc

"Lack toast and tolerant" and "it's 10 the grease outside" a couple of notable examples.

Unlike hand/hang gliding where, despite being wrong you can understand both why someone might not think this was wrong and the meaning is quite obvious, i'm often left wondering just what the f**k someone who thinks the likes of "lack toast and tolerant" is correct thinks it means...

I need to be added to the growing list of hand gliding fans.  It was just a few years ago when the penny dropped.

In North Manchester many say keckle for kettle. 

Edited by hk blues