Aberdeen v St Mirren

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

If only there had been that Conference safety net when we ran into La Liga and EPL opposition in the qualifiers for finishing runners-up four seasons in a row.

Unlike other Scots clubs going out to opponents from Wales, Luxembourg and Malta - we always either matched or bettered our seeding. 

...........and clearly it is up to us to keep St Mirren and their primitive fans off this stage.

image.png.e9fe1981a50178a3944c1f10a7bf36df.png

You mean, "If only we hadn't finished tenth in the league, closer to relegation than third", surely?

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

You mean, "If only we hadn't finished tenth in the league, closer to relegation than third", surely?

Yes, but we played a brand of open, expansive football - based on the Atlanta model.

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

I see what you’re saying but if we lose at home to st mirren it’s hard to argue we deserve Euro group stages.

Whoever finishes 3rd this season will have lost a home game to St Mirren. Barring an unlikely set of results that sees Hibs somehow sneak it.

1 hour ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Was going to ask this myself!

I’m going up with my kids, staying overnight. Train too expensive so driving up early on so we can have a few drinks beforehand. 

What’s the best pubs in the centre of Aberdeen? 

Nowhere near the ground to eat. An old fashioned stadium surrounded by houses on 3 sides and the links and sea on the other. 

Better to get something in the city centre or on the drive up before heading to the ground.  Union square  beside the train station has a familiar range of chain restaurants upstairs  ( I particularly like thaikhun, the Thai restaurant ).  

In terms of boozers,  plenty of choice on Belmont street and Union street. 

Some of my favourite old school pubs in that area are Ma Cameron’s, the Prince of Wales, Archibald Simpsons,  Old Blackfriars. 

Not sure about the more modern style pubs having not lived in Aberdeen for a few years and with pubs closing because of covid and the cost of living etc.  Plenty of choice though . 

Closest to the away end of the ground is the Saltoun Arms. Never been in and looks a bit of a hole but a quick 5 mins up  and over the hill to Pittodrie ( if still open) 

In city centre bars, hide scarfs and colours. Even during the day some will refuse service. 

On 21/05/2023 at 13:45, Dons_1988 said:

On the assumption that finishing 3rd requires a win on Wednesday, we could feasibly finish 3rd having taken 16 points from a possible 60 against the other top 6 sides. 

Not sure if that’s normal or not but struck me as quite shit. 

Zero points against the other five away from home.

They can be arsey about football fans in general in the city centre. 

The Pittodrie bar on King street is usually pretty busy with Dons fans and has a lot of shirts / memorabilia etc on the walls.  Should be ok in there. 

I usually go to my old locals ( the kittybrewster and northern bars) then a few in the red lion which can be busy with dons fans on match days) . It is quite far from the city centre and a long walk round to the away section. 

If you are stuck, look for any building that resembles a church. 90 % chance it will be a pub in Aberdeen. 

Roos. 
      Pollock MacDonald Scales. 
                     Clarkson. 
McCrorie Ramadani Shinnie Hayes   
                  Miovski.  Duk

V 

Main Kiltie.  
Small Baccus Gogic O’Hara Strain.    
        Taylor Shaughnessy Fraser
                    Carson 

I’m praying/hoping Duk & McCrorie both make it.

Game will be tight, nervy & likely terrible. 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

Zero points against the other five away from home.

Just shows that consistency in run of the mill games is key for league position and qualifying for Europe.

The one slight positive from the Glass era is we were actually very competitive in a lot of the 'bigger' games - but then would constantly let ourselves down against the bottom six teams. 

8 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Absolutely cannot be arsed with having to rely on Hibs doing us a favour on Sunday

Just fucking win, Aberdeen 

I've no idea why so many people think the final top six matches are on Sunday. 

7 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Quite the opposite.

Aberdeen had numerous swings at it and failed. It's time for a new generation to get their chance.

For that reason, all of Scottish football (and hopefully the referee and VAR) should be right behind (checks notes) St Mirren and their push for Europe. All right-thinking football fans would love to see Saints in Seville, Buddies in Brussels, Paisley Panda in Paris, Debbie in Dalla...

Anyway. Good luck to our old best pals, Smurn.

It could be argued, not by you obviously, that Aberdeen consistently getting to where their seeding was and occasionally surpassing it, over a number of seasons, went part of the way to help get the points required for Hearts to compete in the group stages this season. 

24 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It could be argued, not by you obviously, that Aberdeen consistently getting to where their seeding was and occasionally surpassing it, over a number of seasons, went part of the way to help get the points required for Hearts to compete in the group stages this season. 

I earnestly hope that is the case.

On 22/05/2023 at 09:52, Frank Grimes said:

Absolutely cannot be arsed with having to rely on Hibs doing us a favour on Sunday

Just fucking win, Aberdeen 

Aye just fucking win Aberdeen.