Delayed Luggage

Elric

Flew down to Heathrow and then on to Las Vegas with Ba.  Arrived in Vegas to discover Ba had left 125 cases at Heathrow.  We had nothing to collect and only the clothes we were wearing.  Spend next day purchasing essentials but came to about £500 given the prices in Vegas.

Anyone have any idea what we can claim from BA?

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/lost-and-damaged-baggage/making-baggage-claims

As long as the delay matches the amount of stuff bought then I'd imagine you'd be fine, might be worth seeing what you're travel insurance says as well as that might be more generous. 

On 19/05/2023 at 22:25, Elric said:

Flew down to Heathrow and then on to Las Vegas with Ba.  Arrived in Vegas to discover Ba had left 125 cases at Heathrow.  We had nothing to collect and only the clothes we were wearing.  Spend next day purchasing essentials but came to about £500 given the prices in Vegas.

Anyone have any idea what we can claim from BA?

From BA?  Not much if they get it to you in a “reasonable” time.  I think its 21 days. They should cover underwear and body products, but anything beyond that is in the lap of the gods.   And that’s only if it was a BA fault.  If it was a baggage handling issue, they might not give you anything.  Your travel insurance should be a better bet.    The link above is appropriately miserly.

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

From BA?  Not much if they get it to you in a “reasonable” time.  I think its 21 days. They should cover underwear and body products, but anything beyond that is in the lap of the gods.   And that’s only if it was a BA fault.  If it was a baggage handling issue, they might not give you anything.  Your travel insurance should be a better bet.    The link above is appropriately miserly.

They say in the link that you have to claim within 21 days of them losing your baggage, not that they're not liable if they find and return it within that time. BA are c***s though, out of principle I'd hit them first before going for the insurance company.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2023 at 08:22, Hard Graft said:

Have discovered travel insurance will only cover £50.  Have put a claim into BA and will await outcome. If they fail to pay seriously thinking about small claim court.

Do you have personal possessions cover on your house insurance ad that might cover it too?

• 3 weeks later...

Update for anyone's future reference

Put claim into BA and sent off all the receipts, reply came back asking if I was claiming off my insurance.  I told them no and they agreed to pay back £430 which arrived in my account today. Totally surprised they paid so much.

2 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

Put claim into BA and sent off all the receipts, reply came back asking if I was claiming off my insurance.  I told them no and they agreed to pay back £430 which arrived in my account today. Totally surprised they paid so much.

I thought that having to claim off your insurance thing had to be a scam from BA, well done! 

3 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

I usually find BA reasonable in this situation as long you're organised with the claim.  We spent £250 on replacement items in Austria a few years ago and BA refunded it pretty quickly.