The Guess Who I Just Met Thread

16 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

I see Joe Wilkinson most mornings on my way to work, does a lot of running. Lovely beard.

ETA 

Also Greg McHugh had an office in the same block as my work, a really nice bloke. 

I looked after his granny in a care home for about 8 years so I knew his dad and uncle very well. It made watching Gary Tank Commander (especially Gary's father) pretty interesting. His uncle and his dad fucking loathed each other 😂.

3 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I pished next to James McFadden in a pub in Hamilton last Easter. Unfortunately I didn't look 

Some guy who was absolute steaming drunk on a Sunday morning and was the double of James McFadden was talking to me one morning while I was waiting on a train home from Drumchapel after a nightshift. 

I am not 100% convinced that it was not James McFadden. 

On 15/05/2023 at 18:41, RuMoore said:

On a holiday as a kid in Ireland we were going up some hilly type place and my dad backed up into a ditch, we got a lift to the nearest town from an American couple and the guy said he was a drummer in a band called Clutch. He kind downplayed it and I didn't know the band but not too long after i saw the band on an episode of Viva La Bam which was one of my favourite shows so was pretty surprised. 

Think they supported Green Day back in the day. 

Amazing! Clutch are a huge band...J.P. Gaster is in my top 3 drummers of all time!

The part of London I live in is very well-to-do and absolutely full of Tory cabinet ministers and journalists I hate, which means about once a week a trip to the shops or pub turns me into a seething mess.

Local c*nts:

James Cleverly

Lord Frost (Brexit negotiator)

Dan Hodges 

Harry Cole 

Tim Shipman

Liz Truss lived round here as well until she was PM, but I never actually saw her.

Local good c*nts:

Katherine Parkinson from the IT Crowd

Ben Willibond from Ghosts/Horrible Histories/The Thick of It

Since this is now thread of people you have met, not 'just med'

Tommy 'Cobra' Coyne in Fraser of Arnott in a lift from the mens dept to bottom floor. I was with my 'girlfriend' of all 2 days, which I had met at a gig in the Barrowlands and took out for a morning coffee and a shopping spree.

She was well above mu league 9/10.  I'm a good 7 in a dark room.

We made eye contact, me and Tommy, not her. And gave the nod, he gave back.

Thinking back to 1993, we were both way out our depth, it was a nod of appreciation .

Also met Ronald McDonald at some restaurant, that was having a gala with big stage in the carpark.  Since it was my 8th birthday, my parent encouraged/pushed me to the front and I was asked to go on stage with this muppet of a man.

He asked me name.  I reply PHIL in a proud voice. His response was   'HAHA PHIL UP THE CAR'

I walked off the stage...c**t

Edited by SlipperyP

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

Fabian Caballero at Tesco Riverside’s car park in Dundee. Was a wee boy so was star struck. Could clearly speak no English so just smiled and waved at me. 

Don't know what it is about that part of the Riverside, but walking my dog from the Riverside pitches to Tesco quite regularly when the bairn is at training, so far this year I have bumped into Max Anderson, Gordon Strachan and Lyall Cameron.

I think Bobby Linn has just bought a hoose round the corner from me too, seen him there a couple of times.

Mainly the people I've met are band members who I've went to a meet and greet for, or hung around outside after the show cause I have no life... with maybe 3 exceptions
1 - not really random but I got my copy of "Himalaya" signed by Michael Palin at a signing in Waterstones back when it was just out. My mum mentioned I was a fan of Monty Python and he said "Ni" to me.

2 - Served Stephen Craigan slushies when I worked at M&D's. Was with his family/kids but I did sneak in a wee 'Come on ye well' after he'd paid and he smiled

3 - Liverpool played Napoli at Murrayfield in a pre-season friendly the year after they won the Champions League. Met Stephen Robinson waiting for the train in at Motherwell. Said he wasn't too fussed but one of his boys was a Liverpool fan so was taking him. He was still Motherwell manager at the time, so spoke about some players on the platform, was seated elsewhere on the train but wished us a good day as he got off.

Met Phillip Schofield whilst I was playing the bagpipes on the 1999 ITV Hogmanay Show in Prince’s St Gardens. 

Anthea Turner was there co-presenting the show, clearly in the midst of a public marital break up with Peter Powell. PP looked like a broken and haunted man. Anthea had obviously moved on and was thinking about Grant Bovey but poor old Peter looked sad and resigned in an awkward looking new year hug between the two.

Phil seemed much more down to earth and relatable and said hello. Wonder what he’s up to these days?

Whilst picking up some dazzling shorts for a contest of pulsating pugilism in Portobello that evening, a mutual acquaintance introduced me to a promising young talent called Josh Taylor. I’d like to think that meeting is what inspired him to become an undisputed world champion.

Ewan McGregor at Crieff Highland Games a few years ago. Very pleasant, happy to have a photo and chat. 

Was a minute away from meeting Pele at the under 16 World Cup at Hampden. He was standing outside the portable studio and was walking towards him when some b*****d steward shut the gates.