League 1 playoff final: Annan vs Clyde/ Clyde vs Annan

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

There is no doubt whatsoever that Gibson was concerned about Quitongo, stopped the game and called on help immediately, he couldn't have done anything more.

Most weeks fans will get away with giving their 'interpretation' of events but unfortunately when the whole thing is live on TV that nonsense will get called out, which has happened here.

If that was my friend lying there I would probably have stayed beside him and been more concerned with that than gesturing up to fans or squaring up to folk in the dugout but he’s obviously a bit of a weapon. Not sure what triggered it off initially but surely he could have ignored any shouts instead of behaving like he did given the circumstances.

The incident itself was awful but nothing at all to do with Gibson, hope Rico has a speedy recovery.

46 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

If that was my friend lying there I would probably have stayed beside him and been more concerned with that than gesturing up to fans or squaring up to folk in the dugout but he’s obviously a bit of a weapon. Not sure what triggered it off initially but surely he could have ignored any shouts instead of behaving like he did given the circumstances.

The incident itself was awful but nothing at all to do with Gibson, hope Rico has a speedy recovery.

If it's your friend, you get the ball out of play immediately, make sure the medical experts know to get on the pitch straight away and then you get out their way.

11 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

If it's your friend, you get the ball out of play immediately, make sure the medical experts know to get on the pitch straight away and then you get out their way.

Then act like an arse in front of the home fans and dugout apparently.

11 hours ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Very much this regards Gibson.  To address what was said earlier, Gibson was initially wanting to play on and then laughing

Just to be clear, have a look below to see quite how absurd the above claim is.  The incident happens at about 49 minutes.  It's actually not that graphic given the distance, so don't worry about being squeamish.  

It does, however, pretty conclusively show how Gibson reacted and behaved at the time.

His comments about it in interview are at about 2 hours, 9 minutes in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001m05v/live-football-2-league-1-playoff-clyde-v-annan-athletic

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I'd like to hold my hands up here and state now that I've clearly got this one badly wrong and can only offer apologies in that respect.

I didn't have the benefit of the TV pictures and genuinely thought it was another player who was next to Quitongo at the time and had stopped the play immediately to get attention.  I thought Gibson was further down the pitch.  No excuses, I've ballsed that one up badly and am rightly getting called out on it.

I was fairly perturbed at the sight of Rico Quitongo's injury, so from my perspective my reaction wasn't that I thought Gibson had anything to do with it (clearly).

With that being the case - and I offered credit previously for the actions - Gibson therefore deserves a lot of credit for his actions in immediately getting the game stopped so that Quitongo could be given the appropriate treatment on-field.

No excuses, bad form from me on this one.

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Just to be clear, have a look below to see quite how absurd the above claim is.  The incident happens at about 49 minutes.  It's actually not that graphic given the distance, so don't worry about being squeamish.  

It does, however, pretty conclusively show how Gibson reacted and behaved at the time.

His comments about it in interview are at about 2 hours, 9 minutes in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001m05v/live-football-2-league-1-playoff-clyde-v-annan-athletic

Appreciate that, I think it's fair to say there was a lot of emotion around it all at the time, no excuses and I've recanted my earlier posts.  Was genuinely horrific at the time and my first concerns are with Rico Quitongo and hopefully he can go on and make a full recovery

4 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

I'd like to hold my hands up here and state now that I've clearly got this one badly wrong and can only offer apologies in that respect.

I didn't have the benefit of the TV pictures and genuinely thought it was another player who was next to Quitongo at the time and had stopped the play immediately to get attention.  I thought Gibson was further down the pitch.  No excuses, I've ballsed that one up badly and am rightly getting called out on it.

I was fairly perturbed at the sight of Rico Quitongo's injury, so from my perspective my reaction wasn't that I thought Gibson had anything to do with it (clearly).

With that being the case - and I offered credit previously for the actions - Gibson therefore deserves a lot of credit for his actions in immediately getting the game stopped so that Quitongo could be given the appropriate treatment on-field.

At least you've had the balls to show up here and retract it. Waiting for @Brian Carrigan to do the same? 

Like @Diamonds are Forever said above, it does go to show how you cant rely on partisan football fans for anything. I was in the stadium last night and saw the whole thing very clearly. I know both players very well. Tragic for Rico.

11 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

That's a good post, well said.👍

8 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Appreciate that, I think it's fair to say there was a lot of emotion around it all at the time, no excuses and I've recanted my earlier posts.  Was genuinely horrific at the time and my first concerns are with Rico Quitongo and hopefully he can go on and make a full recovery

It's easy done.

I like to think I'm pretty fair minded, but was apoplectic when one of our defenders got sent off when conceding a penalty a few weeks ago.  I genuinely thought it was an outrageous, indefensible refereeing decision.  

On seeing highlights, it was clear that the ref could not have been more correct.  

I hope last night's accident doesn't prove too awful for Quitongo.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

At least you've had the balls to show up here and retract it. Waiting for @Brian Carrigan to do the same? 

Like @Diamonds are Forever said above, it does go to show how you cant rely on partisan football fans for anything. I was in the stadium last night and saw the whole thing very clearly. I know both players very well. Tragic for Rico.

And just to underline that point, and despite the above, having now watched MT's link, its NOT wullie next to Rico when it happens, its the no 8! Not a perfect witness either am I? 🤡

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And just to underline that point, and despite the above, having now watched MT's link, its NOT wullie next to Rico when it happens, its the no 8! Not a perfect witness either am I? 🤡

Christ, you're right.

I understand literally nothing.

Shit, do I now owe a grovelling apology too?

If so, this is it.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think it's best to just draw a line under all of it, to be honest.  All done now, and main priority is that Rico Quitongo, who as mentioned is a genuinely top lad, recovers fully.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd like to hold my hands up here and state now that I've clearly got this one badly wrong and can only offer apologies in that respect.

I did in fact have the benefit of the TV pictures and still managed to get it wrong.

In my own defence, whilst I thought at the time in the stadium it was Wullie nearest him, I was assured by you and others watching it on tv that it was correct. You're all complicit! 😂

I think everything else I said was accurate though. 

As @GroundskeeperWillie said though, the important thing here is Rico, who I understand is having surgery today. Get well soon Rico.