League 1 playoff final: Annan vs Clyde/ Clyde vs Annan

19 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Very much this regards Gibson.  To address what was said earlier, Gibson was initially wanting to play on and then laughing, 

I'm really not someone who'd naturally leap to Gibson's defence, but I think you're wrong here.

The first thing he did was stop, then scoop the ball out of play with his hand and wave manically for help.  He then moved away with his hands on his head, looking upset.

It sounds like he may then have become embroiled in stuff he ought to have kept out of.

I'm pretty sure that his initial reaction, however, was not as you described it at all.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm really not someone who'd naturally leap to Gibson's defence, but I think you're wrong here.

The first thing he did was stop, then scoop the ball out of play with his hand and wave manically for help.  He then moved away with his hands on his head, looking upset.

It sounds like he may then have become embroiled in stuff he ought to have kept out of.

I'm pretty sure that his initial reaction, however, was not as you described it at all.

I will agree with this, he definitely turned away with his head in his hands initially. As did quite a few Annan players. It was clear early on that it was a horrific injury.

Which, in my opinion, makes his following actions even more ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

As a QOS fan I’ve always felt Gibson was a fine player but also an arse. That said what I saw on the TV coverage was exactly as you describe. If he got caught up in nonsense with the crowd after that then that’s absolutely not a surprise to me and he really should know better. 

25 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Very much this regards Gibson.  To address what was said earlier, Gibson was initially wanting to play on and then laughing, when he was called out on it he started giving it the billy big baws 'mon then' to the stands.  He may have been apologetic afterwards, but his behaviour of the moment was despicable, could have caused a riot and should have been sanctioned by the ref.

This I'm sorry to say is utter fiction and assuming Alba showed the whole incident and dont edit it out of catch up you're going to be embarrassed when you see it again. 

Whatever faults Wullie Gibson has (& he shouldnt have reacted to the shouts from the stand) he was nearest to the incident and immediately called for assistance. I know for a fact Rico Quitongo is a friend of his and he brought him to QoS at the start of the season. The idea he "wanted to play on" is frankly preposterous.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, David W said:

I will agree with this, he definitely turned away with his head in his hands initially. As did quite a few Annan players. It was clear early on that it was a horrific injury.

Gibson responding to abuse from the Clyde fans would be no surprise as he’s an arse with a short fuse. Are you saying that there was no abuse and that he was the instigator of any issues? Genuine question. 

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This I'm sorry to say is utter fiction and assuming Alba showed the whole incident and dont edit it out of catch up you're going to be embarrassed when you see it again. 

Whatever faults Wullie Gibson has (& he shouldnt have reacted to the shouts from the stand) he was nearest to the incident and immediately called for assistance. I know for a fact Rico Quitongo is a friend of his and he brought him to QoS at the start of the season. The idea he "wanted to play on" is frankly preposterous.

Look, if that is the case then I completely apologise, but it was how it looked at the time (obviously without the benefit of re-runs on the telly) from the stand perspective.  The reaction from a lot of us, given what we had just saw, was pretty much a horrible feeling with regards the injury, myself included.  That's why I was struggling to get his reaction if I'm being honest, and just going by what it looked like at that time.  I'm not sure who the player was who stopped the play from Annan, to his credit he saw immediately what was going on.  But that's what makes Gibson's reactions all the more bizarre then if that is the case, because everyone in our area was more reacting with concern that a player had suffered an horrific injury rather than wanting to goad Gibson.  Our bench were clearly angered by his antics as well.

Anyway, as said previously, just hoping Rico makes a full recovery.

4 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Look, if that is the case then I completely apologise, but it was how it looked at the time (obviously without the benefit of re-runs on the telly) from the stand perspective.  The reaction from a lot of us, given what we had just saw, was pretty much a horrible feeling with regards the injury, myself included.  That's why I was struggling to get his reaction if I'm being honest, and just going by what it looked like at that time.  I'm not sure who the player was who stopped the play from Annan, to his credit he saw immediately what was going on.  But that's what makes Gibson's reactions all the more bizarre then if that is the case, because everyone in our area was more reacting with concern that a player had suffered an horrific injury rather than wanting to goad Gibson.  Our bench were clearly angered by his antics as well.

Anyway, as said previously, just hoping Rico makes a full recovery.

The player who stopped play was Gibson. Like everyone else watching has already said. 

When Rico went down, Gibson played the ball out and immediately signalled for help. He did not attempt to play on or give any indication that he wanted to. He and a number of other Annan (and Clyde) players were clearly upset by Rico’s injury. 
As Gibson was walking away, some Clyde fans were giving him abuse, I’m assuming for a couple of earlier incidents where he lets say ‘uses his experience’ to gain his team an advantage. Gibson reacts to this and gives some back to the fans. Sure, he shouldn’t have done it but it’s no big deal. Give it out, be big enough to accept a bit back. 
As Rico was being carried off, Gibson went over to speak to him. I don’t accept that his actions regarding the injury were anything untoward. 

What a fitting way to get relegated giving away 2 absolute gifts. Just not enough urgency in our play tonight even after taking the lead. Mullen's been 1 shining light of a dire season but he was in no mans land for the equaliser which ultimately put things to bed for sure. That was disappointing for someone that's looked confident coming for crosses to misjudge one at the most important of times. In saying that, there's not much point dwelling on one single moment as we have been sleep walking to relegation for months (arguably years).

Edited by CM.

5 minutes ago, sydney said:

When Rico went down, Gibson played the ball out and immediately signalled for help. He did not attempt to play on or give any indication that he wanted to. He and a number of other Annan (and Clyde) players were clearly upset by Rico’s injury. 
As Gibson was walking away, some Clyde fans were giving him abuse, I’m assuming for a couple of earlier incidents where he lets say ‘uses his experience’ to gain his team an advantage. Gibson reacts to this and gives some back to the fans. Sure, he shouldn’t have done it but it’s no big deal. Give it out, be big enough to accept a bit back. 
As Rico was being carried off, Gibson went over to speak to him. I don’t accept that his actions regarding the injury were anything untoward. 

I would like to add, at half time, before going down the tunnel, Gibson had a word with a member of the Clyde backroom staff, presumably to offer support.

This was commensurate with his earlier actions, he was ushered away after this as he seemed to be getting abuse from the crowd once more.

3 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I would like to add, at half time, before going down the tunnel, Gibson had a word with a member of the Clyde backroom staff, presumably to offer support.

This was commensurate with his earlier actions, he was ushered away after this as he seemed to be getting abuse from the crowd once more.

Yes, I noticed that too as I was sat directly behind the dugouts. I know feck all about Willie Gibson, but I know what I saw and it was a guy who was clearly concerned about a fellow player. 

3 minutes ago, sydney said:

Yes, I noticed that too as I was sat directly behind the dugouts. I know feck all about Willie Gibson, but I know what I saw and it was a guy who was clearly concerned about a fellow player. 

Not just a fellow player, he is actually friends with Rico.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

1 hour ago, David W said:

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

As a QOS fan I’ve always felt Gibson was a fine player but also an arse. That said what I saw on the TV coverage was exactly as you describe. If he got caught up in nonsense with the crowd after that then that’s absolutely not a surprise to me and he really should know better. 

We (QoS fans) know better than anyone that Gibson can get caught up in this sort of needless stuff but in his defence here, if he's just seen a fellow player (and a pal, at that) suffer a serious injury and he's then given some verbals from the opposition support I can understand why he may well have given it back to them. No need for it at a time like that. 

Commented on the Rico incident. As for the game, first half we were so passive it was unreal. We didn’t press, we were so slow in possession and we managed to create absolutely nothing in terms of chances. Annan were so comfortable and, while creating little themselves, they still had the better opportunities going forward. 
Despite losing 3 players in the first half to add to an already depleted squad, I thought we played well enough for 20-25 minutes after the break and we completely dominated at that point. However, we just couldn’t create anything to add to McDonald’s goal and we seemed to run out of steam after that. 
Mullen was getting abuse for Annan’s equaliser but he was given a crazy pass back under pressure that he was forced to deal with on his wrong foot so not his fault in my view. 
I didn’t see Annan’s winner as I decided to f**k off just before that. 
I genuinely believe every player in a Clyde shirt tonight gave everything they had. I can’t criticise a player who’s simply not good enough. It’s not his fault. Unfortunately we have a squad of players who are simply not good enough. That’s the manager/recruitment team’s fault, so I can’t sit and shout abuse at individual players. 

For what its worth on the game, Annan looked like they came to do what they did at Dumbarton and sit on what they had. Despite this, they almost accidentally had a couple of excellent early chances. As things settled down though first half became a nonevent with Annan happy to sit in and Clyde not laying a glove on them. The three injuries though really handicapped Clyde, not only weakening the side but also ensuring they'd be unable to make any 2nd half subs. They ran out of steam on Tuesday despite having subs to make so tonight was always likely to be at least 20 mins too far.

Credit to Clyde though, they smuggled in a goal and for a while things were interesting albeit they never seriously threatened a 2nd. Murphy's sub of Hooper for Johnston was spot on. No idea why Hooper's not starting. Probably the best defender they have, though Swinglehurst was very good tonight. Once Hooper was on the defence was untroubled and Gibson was freed to roam further up the park. 

Thought Annan probably should have had a penalty, not a free kick, but they scored indirectly from it anyway and that was game over. Luissint's second was merely gloss. It was over as soon as the 1st went in.

Congratulations to all at Annan, especially Mr Annan, Alan Irving. Nice to get a word with him at the end. He more than anyone deserves this. Congrats also to Wullie Gibson, Scott Hooper, Tommy Goss, Benji Luissint, Aidan Smith, Ethan Mitchell particularly. All ex QoS. 

Commiserations to all at Clyde and particularly thoughts with Rico Quitongo. Horrible time to get a bad injury. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery.

1 hour ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Very much this regards Gibson.  To address what was said earlier, Gibson was initially wanting to play on and then laughing, when he was called out on it he started giving it the billy big baws 'mon then' to the stands. 

This never happened either. 

1 hour ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Very much this regards Gibson.  To address what was said earlier, Gibson was initially wanting to play on and then laughing, when he was called out on it he started giving it the billy big baws 'mon then' to the stands.  He may have been apologetic afterwards, but his behaviour of the moment was despicable, could have caused a riot and should have been sanctioned by the ref.

This is just nonsense. Absolutely not what happened. 

5 hours ago, harlowspider said:

I remember Clyde. They kept telling us they were a big team. What happened?

What happens when the magical Hampden money runs out? What will your 12 fans do then?

Edited by TamClyde

There is no doubt whatsoever that Gibson was concerned about Quitongo, stopped the game and called on help immediately, he couldn't have done anything more.

Most weeks fans will get away with giving their 'interpretation' of events but unfortunately when the whole thing is live on TV that nonsense will get called out, which has happened here.