League 1 playoff final: Annan vs Clyde/ Clyde vs Annan

Thought we done really well to nullify Annan for the first 50 odd minutes of the game whilst not creating much. Then we just fell apart completely after the second goal, whilst it was definitely a foul the ball should have been emptied before Smith gave the referee any decision to make.

Scullion really should have taken his chance in the first half a lot better and if he had it could have been a different game. 

The thing that really stood out for me is that after season of playing at this level guys like Scullion, Cameron and Hynes have absolutely not adjusted to the speed of the game at all. They expect to get a lot longer on the ball than they do and the former 2 are no where near physical or strong enough to get away with it. 

Rennie was posted anonymous up front despite bagging an assist. With Seinglehurst at the back we really needed someone with a bit more energy to get on top of him and pressure him but that’s just not Rennies game. 

Roberts was unusually poor last night I felt, seemed to slow the game down and hadn’t shown any of the drive to get us up the park as he has done previously.

Im afraid we are as good as down at this point, we will need to have a right good go at Annan to get back in it but they will punish us if we go attack and we will concede. 

In the long term Injuries, tiredness and poor recruitment have cost us in the long run but fair play to Annan for beating what was in front of them, they are clearly a handier team than us and hope they enjoy their trip to league 1 next season. For Clyde we have been an absolute shambles both on and off the park since promotion, hopefully we will learn, regroup and reset in that regard but not holding my breathe 

I get the Clyde fans negativity at being behind going into the 2nd leg, but like in any game a 2 goal deficit never means that the winning side can relax (unless it's in stoppage time of course) as momentum can change quickly.  The oft used adage of "the first goal will be key" will be more than relevant in the 2nd leg.  If Annan score first it should be job done (barring an Alloa-esque collapse), but if Clyde score first to reduce it to a single goal margin then the Annan boys could get nervous big time and it's game-on again.  Clyde need to come out of the blocks sharp on Friday.

Should probably post this somewhere else (I'll have a look shortly), but this BBC Alba thing really does ma heid in.  I get that BBC Alba is all about promoting the Gaelic language and I've no issue with that cause.  But why watch an SPFL playoff game between two clubs who will probably not have a Gaelic speaker within their fanbase, and a probable TV viewing public (mostly "southern Scots" - ie South of the highland fault line) who likewise will be unlikely to have any Gaelic speakers, with commentary in Gaelic?  Flipping this around, does the BBC seriously think that there will be many viewers within the Gaelic speaking community (mostly based in the Western Isles and North Western Highlands) who would want to tune in to watch a football game between Annan and Clyde?  The interviews have to revert to English of course because none of the players, management or pundits speak Gaelic.

Keep BBC Alba for broadcasting content relevant to the Gaelic community (as they do in Wales), but SPFL lower league games content/commentary should be in English.  No doubt the BBC will say something like ... "to be able to screen the game on the Alba channel there has to be Gaelic language content" as their get out - well, fine then put them on the BBC Scotland channel.  It's great that these games are made available on public TV, but the whole Alba/Gaelic content thing for these events is just plain daft.  Whatever happened to common sense?

Think the bookies were rather generous pricing Annan at 11 to 5 to win by more than a goal think a few lower league fans would have seen the value in that. Pretty poor refereeing decision to set them on the way .

6 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Should probably post this somewhere else (I'll have a look shortly), but this BBC Alba thing really does ma heid in.  I get that BBC Alba is all about promoting the Gaelic language and I've no issue with that cause.  But why watch an SPFL playoff game between two clubs who will probably not have a Gaelic speaker within their fanbase, and a probable TV viewing public (mostly "southern Scots" - ie South of the highland fault line) who likewise will be unlikely to have any Gaelic speakers, with commentary in Gaelic?  Flipping this around, does the BBC seriously think that there will be many viewers within the Gaelic speaking community (mostly based in the Western Isles and North Western Highlands) who would want to tune in to watch a football game between Annan and Clyde?  The interviews have to revert to English of course because none of the players, management or pundits speak Gaelic.

Keep BBC Alba for broadcasting content relevant to the Gaelic community (as they do in Wales), but SPFL lower league games content/commentary should be in English.  No doubt the BBC will say something like ... "to be able to screen the game on the Alba channel there has to be Gaelic language content" as their get out - well, fine then put them on the BBC Scotland channel.  It's great that these games are made available on public TV, but the whole Alba/Gaelic content thing for these events is just plain daft.  Whatever happened to common sense?

BBC Alba isn't really a BBC channel in the same way as BBC Scotland 1,2,3 etc 

They get some funding from the BBC and as part of the BBCs obligations to promote Gaelic they are licensed to use BBC branding, sit on iPlayer, get to use Pacific Quay etc.

However, it's really an independent channel owned by MG Alba and its MG Alba who have the rights to these games.

Long story short, these aren't the BBCs games to show and they can't simply move an Alba show to BBC Scotland.

4 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

They get some funding from the BBC and as part of the BBCs obligations to promote Gaelic they are licensed to use BBC branding, sit on iPlayer, get to use Pacific Quay etc.

However, it's really an independent channel owned by MG Alba and its MG Alba who have the rights to these games.

Long story short, these aren't the BBCs games to show and they can't simply move an Alba show to BBC Scotland.

Not to get too far OT but does BBC licence money help fund Alba if its independently owned? 

On the game, and second goal, it's definetely a foul by Smith in the lead up but Duthie? taking a knock just before that and hobbling about doesn't help as he could have got back to help out otherwise.  Not much the Clyde keeper could do about the goals but he does look a bit shaky/hesitant at times. 

18 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Is this similar to how Welsh language S4C is on iPlayer yet is technically a commercial broadcast channel?

FWIW S4C do have a red button option for English commentary when they broadcast the Welsh club games, I’m guessing there’s nothing actually stopping Alba from doing the same aside from cost/effort.

Edited by untitled00

2 hours ago, Billy Reid Fan Club said:

A lot been said about our so called injured players in the stand last night. What I saw was a group of players more interested in their phones than watching the match in front of them. None of them even stood up when we scored. 

That’s simply not true.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It probably does feel that way if you support a comically underachieving club.

After last season I said from day one play offs minimum, should be the absolute minimum for a full time team in league one don't you think ?

The possibility of one up one down does make Scottish football a joke though as far as I'm concerned. I don't think you'll find a league in the world where this can happen and it's for a reason.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

1 hour ago, untitled00 said:

Is this similar to how Welsh language S4C is on iPlayer yet is technically a commercial broadcast channel?

FWIW S4C do have a red button option for English commentary when they broadcast the Welsh club games, I’m guessing there’s nothing actually stopping Alba from doing the same aside from cost/effort.

Thanks @invergowrie arab for explaining the Alba business model, I never knew that.  Surely then it's the SPFL that should be in dialogue with the BBC and MG Alba to discuss a less nonsensical approach to airing these games?

Good point made by @untitled00 regarding the Welsh S4C approach to have a red button for English commentary - as you say though, no doubt its a cost thing about paying for commentary in two languages in parallel.

It's a farcical situation though and should be sorted by the SPFL/broadcasters.

Meant to add ... I've created a thread about this BBC Alba thing over on the "Misc Other Fitba Chat" forum.  So suggest taking any discussion over there to stop taking this thread off topic.  Cheers.

Edit - maybe the Mods could move the relevant posts over to that thread?

Edited by Otis Blue

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I've no issue with games being on Alba to be honest. Welcome to them and any help broadcasting the lower league product is welcome.

The only thing that bothers me is the co-commentary in English thing. It's just plain daft. It's a Gaelic channel and that's fine. I don't even think they should provide an English language red button alternative. I don't understand why S4C does. Surely that defeats the purpose? But if Alba is in Gaelic why can't they find a Gaelic speaking 'expert' to talk alongside the commentator? It's pretty shambolic switching language mid commentary just because they've wheeled Cammy Bell or Gus MacPherson along. Presumably there's someone somewhere amongst the Highland leagues that can provide some meaningful match analysis and speaks Gaelic?

28 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

Disappointed to see Annan joining the Burger Van Club. I don't go to the fitba to have a fucking burger, get a pie stall in the away end, please.

To be fair that will have been a one off solution. They don't generally segregate and there's a pie shop in the home end.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Don't start follow Queens. The majority of our (new) stand don't bother their arses to stand the rare time we score. Boils my piss for some reason. 

I'm in the minority then ... 😉

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've no issue with games being on Alba to be honest. Welcome to them and any help broadcasting the lower league product is welcome.

The only thing that bothers me is the co-commentary in English thing. It's just plain daft. It's a Gaelic channel and that's fine. I don't even think they should provide an English language red button alternative. I don't understand why S4C does. Surely that defeats the purpose? But if Alba is in Gaelic why can't they find a Gaelic speaking 'expert' to talk alongside the commentator? It's pretty shambolic switching language mid commentary just because they've wheeled Cammy Bell or Gus MacPherson along. Presumably there's someone somewhere amongst the Highland leagues that can provide some meaningful match analysis and speaks Gaelic?

To be fair that will have been a one off solution. They don't generally segregate and there's a pie shop in the home end.

I've no issue with the games being on Alba either and agree any help publicising the lower league product is welcome.  I've also no objection to the principle of having a TV channel to promote the Gaelic language - but target the programming to the right audiences via the appropriate channels is surely the common sense approach.

I don't get your point about commentary in English being daft - almost nobody watching the fitba programme understands Gaelic and almost no Gaelic speaking watchers of BBC Alba will watch these fitba programmes either.  So what's the point in transmitting the programme in a format that isn't comprehendable to the viewers actually watching and in a format to potential Gaelic speaking viewers who will have no interest in watching.  That for me is plain daft and nonsensical.

Anyhow, as I've said, probably best to take this debate over to the "Misc Other Fitba Chat" forum ...

Edited by Otis Blue

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I get the Clyde fans negativity at being behind going into the 2nd leg, but like in any game a 2 goal deficit never means that the winning side can relax (unless it's in stoppage time of course) as momentum can change quickly.  The oft used adage of "the first goal will be key" will be more than relevant in the 2nd leg.  If Annan score first it should be job done (barring an Alloa-esque collapse), but if Clyde score first to reduce it to a single goal margin then the Annan boys could get nervous big time and it's game-on again.  Clyde need to come out of the blocks sharp on Friday.

I'm all for having a positive outlook, but we simply don't have the players required for overturning a deficit. We haven't scored 3 goals in a game since drawing with Falkirk in November and haven't won a game by 2 or more goals since August, both before we lost Jordan Allan.

We'd need to play Rennie and Docherty upfront with maybe Salkeld in behind and hope the players give a f**k. Maybe we'll get 2 goals and somehow hope Mullen pulls a blinder and keeps a clean sheet.

Scullion has been poor in the past 3/4 games too, which is a shame because he was playing very well for a good wee spell. Made me think he was one we'd want to keep for next season and maybe he still is because of how young he is, but he needs to show up on Friday.

3 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Really? 🤣

Aye. I get if it was older folk but the majority appear 'able bodied'. Baffles me why you wouldn't celebrate other than a wee clap. 

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I'm in the minority then ... 😉

Me and you both, brother.