League 1 playoff final: Annan vs Clyde/ Clyde vs Annan

We were good in spells but the defending for the first at the corner was poor to allow them to head it back in. The second was definitely a foul in the build up but we should’ve cleared our lines. The third just sums up our season.

Absolute mountain to climb on Friday. I can’t see us scoring twice and not conceding.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

We need to be winning the match with eighty-five minutes gone to have a chance. We would have taken this about six weeks ago. Still a disappointing night, but not impossible I suppose. If their left back could stop playing like Peak Carlos Alberto, that would be nice.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Deeply frustrating night. Well in the game for 60 minutes but we looked out on our feet by the end of the game. Three very avoidable goals but that sums up our season. It was depressing sitting in the stand and seeing Cunningham, Doherty, Grant and Salkeld sitting in front of me knowing that there’s a strong argument that they would all be starting if fit. Salkeld was saying he won’t be fit for Friday so that’s another blow. We’re still (just) in the tie but I’m expecting we’ll be a League 2 team come this time on Friday night.

A midweek game and a final; I don't think there's any reason why one of the better referees couldn't have been appointed. I am all for letting games flow, but not at the expense of awarding clear fouls. I would say that such a poor decision could easily have gone in our favour. I'm also not sure Smith even commits that foul if he gets booked for his abysmal dive at the end of the first half. There's no doubt we deserve to go down based on the past four seasons, but there's a bitter taste in the mouth if it comes from something like that; I don't think there's any doubt it swung the game massively in Annan's favour and we were probably lucky to only end up 3-1 down in the end.

All of that is not excusing the feeble downing of tools that followed the goal. Duffy says we were knackered, yet he did nothing to change it.

Cameron has played well a few times centrally, which makes it even more baffling that we've fielded him regularly out wide where he is beyond terrible. The centre halves didn't give Goss a kick and were unfortunate with the third goal. Cuddihy, Duthie and Scullion were all really poor.   

The tie is dead.  There's not a chance we're netting three goals, and I'm pretty sure that's the minimum we'll require. Hopefully Annan don't stink out L1 like we have done since promotion.

One up one down possibility is just one of the reasons Scottish football is a joke

My thoughts were the same when we finished out the play offs last season

Hopefully Airdrie and Annan swap places but the system of promotion and relegation is a joke

Edited by MrDust

6 hours ago, the philosopher said:

Dry your tears David W - "bitter taste" !

You robbed us last time we played you in the playoff final with a penalty which never should have been given.

Cie la vie.

Oh the irony. Don't even know where to start....well maybe handing you a tissue yo dry your eyes first because you know, an Annan player would never ever EVER dive, cheat or cause and opponent to be sent off because of said dive/cheating. Glad to see you're bit bitter though. 

We are utter shite, been shite since we went up (except when we play lolkirk) and it wouldn't take a good team to relegate us. Just a competent one

6 hours ago, MrDust said:

One up one down possibility is just one of the reasons Scottish football is a joke

My thoughts were the same when we finished our the play offs last season

Hopefully Airdrie and Annan swap places but the system of promotion and relegation is a joke

It probably does feel that way if you support a comically underachieving club.

Jim Duffy says we played well for 70 minutes. I think we disagree about the  "playing well" threshold.

This statement by Duffy sums up his management, outlook, style and ambition.

I can't recall the Annan keeper making a save of any note in the entire match. Playing well?

I'd be interested to see stats for the match.

1 minute ago, haufdaft said:

Jim Duffy says we played well for 70 minutes. I think we disagree about the  "playing well" threshold.

This statement by Duffy sums up his management, outlook, style and ambition.

I can't recall the Annan keeper making a save of any note in the entire match. Playing well?

I'd be interested to see stats for the match.

There's also the issue of squad depth/ possibly fitness. It looked at times as though it was Clyde PT against Annan FT after about 60-70 mins, rather than two part time teams. It didn't seem to be a lack of effort. But they looked tired. Annan were also stronger in their wide areas.

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Aidan Smith looks like a decent player these days.  Haircut apart obviously.

He had a good game last night, one of only a few Annan players who did. A lot of comments on here saying Annan aren't up to much, fair enough on last night's display. Too many players were off it for some reason last night, the midfield in particular didn't get ahold of the game until midway through the 2nd half. They can play much better, so to have been off it and won 3-1 is good going.

Clyde were better than I expected though. Maybe Annan couldn't get into their stride because Clyde didn't let them. Their left hand side in particular did a great job of keeping Johnston and Gibson quiet. Their pressing was good, they were winning every 2nd ball and looked sharp going forward, but thankfully without much of an end product.

Still all to play for on Friday really. If Clyde score early who knows what will happen. I'll say a draw, or a 1 goal Clyde win, Annan going up either way.

8 minutes ago, Billy Reid Fan Club said:

A lot been said about our so called injured players in the stand last night. What I saw was a group of players more interested in their phones than watching the match in front of them. None of them even stood up when we scored. 

Don't start follow Queens. The majority of our (new) stand don't bother their arses to stand the rare time we score. Boils my piss for some reason.