League 1 playoff final: Annan vs Clyde/ Clyde vs Annan

Well, for 60 minutes that was alright but we didn't make nearly enough of our play when we had the legs. After that, we fell out of it hopelessly and had nothing on the bench to try and stem the tide. We're only barely still in it, but I'd be stunned if we turned this around. 

I expected a bit more from Annan really, but they took the first two goals very well (even if the second was extremely fortunate) and turned the screw late on. It's a shame we are without so many starters, because I reckon we'd have taken them otherwise. 

That starting 11 were never going to get anything tonight we are a mile off. 
injury has finally killed us but probably never going to happen anyway. 
Thanks Danny Lennon and thanks to those who never sacked him weeks before he finally was. 

1 minute ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

They look a level above you clowns, right enough.

Gibson still looked pretty useful for being 50 odd year old. Wonder where QOTS would’ve been I’ve he’d had played himself.

8th because he was shite at the managing part. 

5 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

They look a level above you clowns, right enough.

Gibson still looked pretty useful for being 50 odd year old. Wonder where QOTS would’ve been I’ve he’d had played himself.

You’ll be playing them next season 😉

27 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Blatant foul from that mullet nonce ignored, although Hynes should have cleared quicker. Could be curtains if we concede again now.

A mullet to curtains is the logical next move. 

IMG_1628.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

I don't know if we deserved that. Started 2nd half well. 1 assault. 1 OG.  Thought  Annan would be better than they showed, based on result v Dumbarton. 

Assault, bit strong eh.  Probably a foul but our defending contributed, and let's be perfectly honest had we scored via something similar we'd have not complained one iota.  Also, not even the worse foul the referee (who for the most part at least tried to let the game flow) let go.

First half we played well enough but second half, especially beyond the 60th minute, we reverted to type, punted the ball long hopefully, sat back and let them come onto us, and generally defended dreadfully.  The lack of communication at times, highlighted actually by the own goal, is criminal.

Euan Cameron best player for me, goal apart he worked hard and showed a bit about him.

5 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

That starting 11 were never going to get anything tonight we are a mile off. 
injury has finally killed us but probably never going to happen anyway. 
Thanks Danny Lennon and thanks to those who never sacked him weeks before he finally was. 

Cannae place all the blame on Lennon, although folk have been itching to for some time, relying on the so-called 'fact' that he had a huge budget, which is nonsense.  Board just as culpable for where we are at.  Could also be argued that our form in part has been down to the fact some of the teams we played latterly had nowt to play for (Falkirk excepting). Duffy still at times relies on us sitting back and trying to hold out, when we patently can't defend, full stop.  And some of our play under Duffy has been eye-bleeding.

Hoping for a miracle on Friday, might still happen, if we press like we did first half.  But as stated, we played well then but never really troubled Fleming, certainly weren't laying barrage to their goal at any point.

Hynes should know he’s never going to get that amount of time on his own 18 yard line, foul or not. 2 goals we conceded were just awful defending, the third is just unfortunate. 

Not sure there was 2 goals of a difference between the teams tonight, a mountain to climb on Friday. 

Played some decent stuff at times, but the 2nd and third goals were total sucker punches. Needing a monumental effort on Friday. No matter where we end up, next season is going to be very challenging. 

12 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Cannae place all the blame on Lennon, although folk have been itching to for some time, relying on the so-called 'fact' that he had a huge budget, which is nonsense.  Board just as culpable for where we are at.  Could also be argued that our form in part has been down to the fact some of the teams we played latterly had nowt to play for (Falkirk excepting). Duffy still at times relies on us sitting back and trying to hold out, when we patently can't defend, full stop.  And some of our play under Duffy has been eye-bleeding.

Hoping for a miracle on Friday, might still happen, if we press like we did first half.  But as stated, we played well then but never really troubled Fleming, certainly weren't laying barrage to their goal at any point.

My blame attached to Lennon is nothing tl do with budget, he inexplicably signed players who were obvious to everyone thst were simply not good enough. He just should not have signed them no matter what budget he had available. 

This season has been an absolute car crash, disaster. Regardless what league we are in next season (prolly L2) we need a clear out top to bottom. Starting with the chairman and finishing at the Lowland League level playing squad. 

13 minutes ago, TamClyde said:

This season has been an absolute car crash, disaster. Regardless what league we are in next season (prolly L2) we need a clear out top to bottom. Starting with the chairman and finishing at the Lowland League level playing squad. 

I hear what you are saying but “don’t throw the baby out with the bath the bath water”. Having suffered Duffy for a period, the man is a footballing dinosaur, he’s your baby. Get rid of the baby. Assess the bath water.

It’s been a catastrophe of a season and whilst I still think we are in the tie, it’s really getting desperate now. 

Annan didn’t impress me given the pre match hype so I’ll look on on Friday with hope but we really need to take the game to them. 

10 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

My blame attached to Lennon is nothing tl do with budget, he inexplicably signed players who were obvious to everyone thst were simply not good enough. He just should not have signed them no matter what budget he had available. 

My comment wasn't aimed as a pot-shot at yourself (and apologies if it came across as such), more that it feels like a tired trope to just blame all of our ailments, on and off the field, on Danny Lennon.  Particularly as no-one was griping as such when we started the season in the manner in which we did.  My main complaint was that he tinkered so much that it was impossible to get a settled side, not helped arguably by Duthie being out for most of the campaign.  Were some of his signings ill-judged and shouldn't have signed, yes absolutely.  Would point out that it was one of his signings who was in my view one of the best players on display, and scored (Cameron).  Same applies with Scullion.

Could also be argued that if there was so much concern about who Lennon was signing, the board have right of veto, and could easily have stepped in.  Also could be argued that Duffy's signings haven't set the heather on fire either, and whoever ascertained that longer-term contracts were a good move when a) we don't know who the manager will be next season and b) don't know where we will be next season was a bigger act of folly.

Our only hope now is that Annan shit the bed. Frustrating to be 2 goals behind as we were very much in the game until the second goal, which shouldn’t have been given. Tired badly towards the end and nothing on the bench. 

Thought that Clyde were comfortably the better side for the first 20 mins or so without particularly threatening apart from one gilt edged fluffed chance. Annan's opener was a beezer but against the run of play. The rest of the 1st half was a complete non event apart from Clyde scoring out of nothing. Thought Fleming could have done better on it but it was a decent strike.

2nd half Clyde probably started the better again but gradually Annan took over and after Kilsby got his 2nd it was a question of how many they'd get and could Clyde stay in touch.

In the end 3-1 is still alive but Annan must be favourites. I think if they score away from home I cant see Clyde getting three. Clyde arent dead but they need to keep a clean sheet and stay in the game even if it takes 75 mins to grab a goal. 

Fair chance I'll go if I have time.

Edited by Skyline Drifter