Airdrie v Hamilton Playoff Final 1st leg

12 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Hopkin constantly calling Tumilty “Tumility” is getting annoying,

Up there with last season's playoff when he was consistently talking about "Alofabi" instead of Afolabi.

This is obviously terrible from a commentator regardless, but it's especially bad when Hopkin has managed both of those players.

38 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

What was last night's attendance not seeing it on the usual sites?

Was just about to ask the same thing. Airdrie stand looked reasonably populated. 

Hopefully Airdrie can take a healthy support to NDP. Would be nice to see that away stand behind the goal full.

Personally I’d like to see Airdrie go up. A club that used to have good crowds, don’t have a Mickey Mouse stadium, would be good to see them make a resurgence of sorts.

16 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Bloody hell two Hamilton players have got their feet Stuck in the pitch nearly breaking their ankles. 
Palmerston has always been awful. If was even ripped up after a season and relaid it was so bad

Don't think that there have been any injuries to players this season which have been attributable to the pitch and haven't heard any complaints from opposition teams about it.

14 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Dycey at right back and McCabe at centre half for me with McMaster coming in for the second leg. No offence to Euan Deveney or Lachie Byrd but they haven’t played enough to come in for a game of this magnitude.

Could obviously go for ATS at left back with Ballantyne coming over to the right but I’m not sure he’s got the legs to play there anymore and defend against a winger.

Absolutely no danger you move Dycey to right back and have him going against Smith. He'd be sent off within 15 minutes.

13 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

I felt Rankin gave Airdrie the initiative by moving to one man  up front start of the second half as it allowed the ball to move quickly against us.

Subs were a bit meh and if you are going to bring Tiehi on,you give him more time and put balls in the box for him.

As for Airdrie,they should be looking for the first goal Saturday as our powder puff strikers won't score 3.

However,if we score first  I would be very confident of getting the job done.

All to play for and  a big,big performance needed for sure.

I thought that they had one up from the start as it looked very much like a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 certainly when they weren't in possession of the ball.

13 hours ago, DUAFC said:

Airdrie are bang average,  should still probably have enough about them to flush the unflushable. 

We were bang average at times last night but still came away with the win.  We definitely need a stronger performance to secure a win on Saturday though 

18 hours ago, G_&_T said:

Surprised how small the Accies support is tonight. I'm guessing that's because of what the Chairman has said, or it's live on TV or folk have had enough this season, or all three?

'mon the Airdrie!

Sorry if it's been covered but I haven't seen the crowd split yet. Airdrie's was mightily impressive for a side that's been in the third tier for so long. I'd guess about 2,400-2,500. I was in the middle of ours but I hoped it was at least 500. Probably not.

27 minutes ago, Owsley said:

Sorry if it's been covered but I haven't seen the crowd split yet. Airdrie's was mightily impressive for a side that's been in the third tier for so long. I'd guess about 2,400-2,500. I was in the middle of ours but I hoped it was at least 500. Probably not.

Anything between 300-400 i'd say for yous lot.

38 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Yes, because using a serious sexual assualt to point score is very classy indeed.

Ah, but you forget the key point here. That point is that Scotty is and always has been a complete knob.

Big Brain Thinking GIF by ENCE

Went into the game last night feeling oddly positive (although with that little voice at the back of my mind reminding me how much we suck in playoffs) - there’s just something about this team. I genuinely think they believe they can beat anyone and do it their way, which can only be a good thing. However, it was clear very early doors that there were nerves there and it meant we didn’t get close to the level of performance we’re capable of.

That said, never felt Hamilton really did much with the time that they were on top in either half, with only really Connor Smith’s shot across the face of goal early on and a looping header near the end that landed harmlessly on the top of the net really causing concern. In the main, what impressed me about them was how organised/compact they were but I don’t think that alone will see them through, especially now we have a lead.

I would say that we didn’t create a great deal out with the goal either, although Dycey forced a decent stop from Smith and Justin Devenney should’ve burst the net with his chance.

I think a big part of why we didn’t perform, aside from nerves, was Hamilton’s structure and how they stopped us, so real credit is due there. However, we have to focus on our game and remain calm on the ball - when guys like Frizz and Justin are making silly mistakes and aren’t on their game, we’ll always struggle. 

Obviously, I don’t know Hamilton well enough to know what else they have to offer in terms of threat but what I do know is that we are capable of way more and if we can bring that, we’ll be fine. I’ve said it before but we’ve only failed to score in 3 out of 36 league games this season, so I fancy us to get goals in any game. 

I’d still have been apprehensive even if we won 4-0 last night, but there’s no doubt having the one goal lead is a good position to be in and one that I’d have bitten your hand off for pre-match.

Looking forward to Saturday…I think!

51 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Yes, because using a serious sexual assualt to point score is very classy indeed.

11 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Ah, but you forget the key point here. That point is that Scotty is and always has been a complete knob.

Big Brain Thinking GIF by ENCE

Why did the club think it was acceptable to have him in the match day squad last night? I’d take your issues up with Airdrie not me.

14 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Why did the club think it was acceptable to have him in the match day squad last night? I’d take your issues up with Airdrie not me.

I would suggest that everyones, including my own, thoughts are pretty clear on the other thread where this has been actively discussed this afternoon. Y'know, not this one, where only you have brought it up and in such a pathetic way. Don't let that detract from whatever mouth breathing take you're attempting and failing here though 👍

I think that the 2 sections Accies had last night hold about 450 fans and they weren't quite full. No idea what we had.

Accies were really sharp in defence/closing us down first half, that coupled with us being a bit nervous resulted in us being really average for the first 45. Tumilty was (sadly) excellent against Smith 1st half. But other than standard anxiety around free kicks and corners I never felt that Accies were dangerous.

I'd imagine they will be better on Saturday, the challenge for us is whether we'll be more like our usual selves - if we can score first I reckon we'll be fine.

4 hours ago, thediamonddude said:

Went into the game last night feeling oddly positive (although with that little voice at the back of my mind reminding me how much we suck in playoffs) - there’s just something about this team. I genuinely think they believe they can beat anyone and do it their way, which can only be a good thing. However, it was clear very early doors that there were nerves there and it meant we didn’t get close to the level of performance we’re capable of.

That said, never felt Hamilton really did much with the time that they were on top in either half, with only really Connor Smith’s shot across the face of goal early on and a looping header near the end that landed harmlessly on the top of the net really causing concern. In the main, what impressed me about them was how organised/compact they were but I don’t think that alone will see them through, especially now we have a lead.

I would say that we didn’t create a great deal out with the goal either, although Dycey forced a decent stop from Smith and Justin Devenney should’ve burst the net with his chance.

I think a big part of why we didn’t perform, aside from nerves, was Hamilton’s structure and how they stopped us, so real credit is due there. However, we have to focus on our game and remain calm on the ball - when guys like Frizz and Justin are making silly mistakes and aren’t on their game, we’ll always struggle. 

Obviously, I don’t know Hamilton well enough to know what else they have to offer in terms of threat but what I do know is that we are capable of way more and if we can bring that, we’ll be fine. I’ve said it before but we’ve only failed to score in 3 out of 36 league games this season, so I fancy us to get goals in any game. 

I’d still have been apprehensive even if we won 4-0 last night, but there’s no doubt having the one goal lead is a good position to be in and one that I’d have bitten your hand off for pre-match.

Looking forward to Saturday…I think!

An incredibly fair and balanced post.

I think both sets of supporters will go into Saturday feeling confident their team can get the job done, which should make for a good contest.

We need to score the first goal, though, i'm certain of that