🔵⚪️St Johnstone v Motherwell🟢🟤 13/05/23 3pm

Truth be told that was a low quality game from both teams - but given our record at McDairmid, I don't know whether the win or getting out of negative goal difference for the first time in what feels like 20 years is the excuse for the beers I'm about to get stuck into.

First half, I think St Johnstone were slightly the better team - but that pitch must be hard for them to play on every other week - I can't remember the last time I saw so many players from both sides losing their footing on a dry day and it was bobbly as f**k.

Second half, St Johnstone just went off a cliff - genuinely as bad a 45 mins I've seen from any team lately (and I include Killie last week who were fucking gubbins). KVV looked miles off it today I thought - injured maybe - and so I've got to praise the baws to try a panenka in those circumstances - fair play to the Dutch sex god.

I thought our defence was the main thing today - didn't give Saintees anything and May wasn't seen after Butcher went right through him at one point, which I enjoyed. A lot.

Interesting to see what we do next week against County who you would imagine will be better than Killie or what we saw today.

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

Truth be told that was a low quality game from both teams - but given our record at McDairmid, I don't know whether the win or getting out of negative goal difference for the first time in what feels like 20 years is the excuse for the beers I'm about to get stuck into.

First half, I think St Johnstone were slightly the better team - but that pitch must be hard for them to play on every other week - I can't remember the last time I saw so many players from both sides losing their footing on a dry day and it was bobbly as f**k.

Second half, St Johnstone just went off a cliff - genuinely as bad a 45 mins I've seen from any team lately (and I include Killie last week who were fucking gubbins). KVV looked miles off it today I thought - injured maybe - and so I've got to praise the baws to try a panenka in those circumstances - fair play to the Dutch sex god.

I thought our defence was the main thing today - didn't give Saintees anything and May wasn't seen after Butcher went right through him at one point, which I enjoyed. A lot.

Interesting to see what we do next week against County who you would imagine will be better than Killie or what we saw today.

Kettlewell confirmed he was playing through an injury, aye.

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

May wasn't seen after Butcher went right through him at one point, which I enjoyed. A lot.

Tbf May does that regardless. He spent more time in the first few minutes moaning than anything else and that set the tone for him.

He works like a horse but it needs accepted hes not a central striker. He doesnt want to play there, and cant, because he needs to be more physical, so often hides in midfield.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Looks fairly likely we’re playing Livi at home last game needing a win to stay up.

Everybody is beating them at the moment. 

Apart from us :(

After watching Sportscene just now, was the Kelle Roos penalty save for Aberdeen v Hibs checked with VAR like Matthews save today as they looked similar regarding foot on/off the line?

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

O’Donnell played for it. Contact was minimal but it was there. Very soft but I’d probably want it at the other end.

Using VAR to order a retake was a load of bollocks though. Matthews back foot leaves the line a split second before the ball is struck and as he plants his feet, at the moment the ball is struck, he’s about eight inches forward of it. To the letter of the law that’s probably correct but in reality it’s just a nonsense.

Today showed that we are capable of vastly better football than we played under Davidson - but also that he packed the squad full of utter rubbish and left us with little to no quality when we need to change things. Agree that Hallberg was a big miss as someone who can link between the midfield and attack, something that was sorely missing.

1 minute ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

The players didn't really complain.

It may be they're a bit demoralised - but I was amazed that there was no complaint after either the penalty or the retake decision - at the time, I just assumed they were both clear decisions. (although oddly, May was complaining about absolutely *everything* in the first half hour)

I couldn’t get the Sky video to freeze frame right on the split second Van Veen struck the ball, but here’s the images a fraction of a second either side. 569F63DE-9056-44E4-896F-1316BE96975E.thumb.jpeg.00b8179979387d3e0585fa0b87bda66c.jpeg

059B6500-588C-4845-B283-E05927A88B87.thumb.jpeg.f429e5f77cf3c32c4fab501cbdc7e29b.jpeg

Are we seriously awarding retakes in this situation? He’s touching the line in the first one by the looks of it (admittedly the angles available to us - and VAR - make it impossible to be definitive here) and in the second he’s six inches ahead of the line maybe, with the ball well on its way towards the goal.

It was a fucking awful penalty and he’s been given an absolute freebie of a retake.

1 minute ago, Swello said:

It may be they're a bit demoralised - but I was amazed that there was no complaint after either the penalty or the retake decision - at the time, I just assumed they were both clear decisions. (although oddly, May was complaining about absolutely *everything* in the first half hour)

The penalty is a weird one because it's both extremely soft and at the same time a 100%er by today's standards. An utterly meh foul but a foul nonetheless. 

As for the retake, yep, nobody at all would have complained had it not been given but when it's known var checks this and he's visibly off the line a retake inevitable. I assume there's no reaction because unlike with a tackle or even a handball it's a totally factual decision, even if marginal.

The penalty looked a stonewaller to me, at the time, tbh.

Players probably cant be arsed complaining about VAR decisions, theres already been about 5 minutes standing about waiting to see what happens, and they likely just want to get back playing. 

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

As for the retake, yep, nobody at all would have complained had it not been given but when it's known var checks this and he's visibly off the line a retake inevitable. I assume there's no reaction because unlike with a tackle or even a handball it's a totally factual decision, even if marginal.

The cameras used literally arent good enough to pause the exact moment the ball is struck, which makes it complete nonsense.

Its also why marginal offside decisions are farcical too.

Though Motherwell were impressive for a side with next to nothing to play for. Did wonder if KVV was injured as he didn't move too freely, but you can tell when he does, he is a right player. Once Motherwell had a hold of the game, the game management was impressive. O'Donnell is clearly done at this level, but he knew exactly how to make the most of his injury.

As for Saints, the first 20 mins aside, it felt like the team regressed backwards as the game went on back to Davidson's team. MacPherson was absolutely honking. Too many players half arsed it today, which in such an important game as today says more about their character than any abilities. 

For what Considine brings in being able to read the game better than probably anyone in the side, he loses in being too slow.

Beat Kilmarnock and we cannot go straight down, but based on today, I cannot see us picking up anything in the next 2 games 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

The cameras used literally arent good enough to pause the exact moment the ball is struck, which makes it complete nonsense.

Its also why marginal offside decisions are farcical too.

The shots on Sportscene tonight were clear.

I only want VAR for major errors, not millimetre marginal calls, so would be happy for that not to even be checked.

But for better or worse that's not the system ATM.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I couldn’t get the Sky video to freeze frame right on the split second Van Veen struck the ball, but here’s the images a fraction of a second either side. 

Are we seriously awarding retakes in this situation? He’s touching the line in the first one by the looks of it (admittedly the angles available to us - and VAR - make it impossible to be definitive here) and in the second he’s six inches ahead of the line maybe, with the ball well on its way towards the goal.

It was a fucking awful penalty and he’s been given an absolute freebie of a retake.

I got the SKY one pretty much as the ball is hit and both feet are definitely off the line.

Screenshot2023-05-13at22_12_43.thumb.png.ce6bb1282f0a836f25ff9188ee01b816.png