SPFL League 1 Play Off Semi Final: East Fife v Clyde/Clyde v East Fife

Can’t fault the players for effort but I just felt our young lads were out muscled by Clyde much bigger team and physically they were much stronger. We had a couple of decent half chances but on the whole we didn’t really look like breaking down the Clyde defensive wall. Think our ploy was to get round the side of them and our two wide players had the beating of the full backs. The goal we lost was a shocker but Clydes tactic of punt over the top exposed our centre backs all game. A long way back now but stranger things have happened in football.  From what I’ve seen of Annan this season I’m not sure any of these 2 teams would trouble them.

10 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

I don't know that much about Annan, but their 2 talisman performers are Johnstone and Wallace, neither of whom looked like players when the stole wages at Clyde.  I also saw them against Pollok in the cup and, again, they looked ordinary.

Neither of those is their talisman (maybe Johnston to an extent). Goss and Gibson far more important to them.

We have to approach this tie now like we did at half-time at Stenhousemuir. We can play much better than we did last night. Fergie and Trouts will be key players for us, hopefully they will be back on their game on Friday. 

Pleased with performance & result. Thought need to be more clinical. Should have been going in at half time a few goals to the good. Shaky at the back at times which we need to work on. Mullen really shouldn't have had to make some of the saves he had done.

Being a bigger, physically stronger team than us, is probably whats required to survive in league 1, where teams with superior budgets were always going to make it hard for the likes of Clyde to compete.

All we could really ask for here is to keep this tie alive for the 2nd leg, which unlike Dumbarton & Falkirk in the league above (Airdrie scoring 6 from 6 shots on target according to bbc), we have done so. Was always missing the Clyde ties due to work, so fingers crossed we'll get through, as I'm off for the potential Final ties.

Nae pressure, C'mon the Fife!

47 minutes ago, macclyde+ said:

Does it go to extra time or straight to pens if level after 90 ? Did the Brechin/Spartans game not go straight to pens ?

Extra time unless something's changed for this season. Ties in last years play offs went to extra time.

Brechin-Spartans did go straight to penalties because they felt it was unfair playing an extra half an hour at the team with home advantages ground or something along they lines. Seemed strange to me.

First game tonight since Kelty at home in September (?) Been away on Saturdays for work and then the various Friday night fixtures since then haven’t exactly made me rush out to Hamilton.

We didn’t play that well on Saturday and had a bit of luck with Mullen making good saves etc but hopefully we can dig out another result. The injury list is a bit of a concern, even just Doherty and Sula in the side would make a big difference to what we could have, but I’m not optimistic. Needless to say an early second goal would be smashing for the nerves.

It'll be a travesty if we progress through this. Mental the difference it can make when you've clearly had a bit of coaching and play like you aren't utterly terrified of the ball.

ETA: at least we've got Hynes signed up for next season. Maybe by then he'll have learned how to either control the ball or at least show for it. Jobber.

Edited by the_bully_wee