The fight for the Championship…relegation playoffs thread

6 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Really? Based on your visits to Hamilton this season I'd say they are much of a muchness.

What does this bring to the rest of the league, though?

I like Gayfield. It's a terraced ground which, for me anyway, is much preferable to sitting. However, for your last 2 games, despite having no capacity issues, you didn't let away fans onto the terrace behind the goal, which dilutes this massively.

If you had sold more tickets you would have got more terrace.

9 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Which means by default I shall be hoping Alloa can endeavour to return to the Championship. A pretty inoffensive club are Alloa. Rice seems like a good bloke and of course they played a large part in our winning of the league a few years ago. Yes, I think I’d like to see Alloa back up. 

Ayr fans seemed a tad offended when you played at Alloa a few years ago.

However, I'd also prefer Alloa or possibly Airdrie.

Basically anyone but Falkirk.

8 hours ago, Thumper said:

A KFC and a big Asda right outside the ground. Also I had a thing for a white girl with dreadlocks from Alloa 20 years ago and found the keyring we got made literally yesterday.

Was this up your Gran's bit? 🤔

8 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Not convinced. Another season or two scrapping around the bottom of the Championship, winning little more than a half dozen games a season, and their support will go back to what it was just a few years ago.

As Hamilton know very well, when the relative success of a golden period dries up, those that came along for the ride drift away again.

A few years ago when we first come up it was still around 1600. Even when we finished 9th in L2 it was relatively good. Clubs come on leaps and bounds since then. Won 2 games all year and scored about 7 meaningful goals at Gayfield all year but still 2500 home fans on Friday night for us. The support might slightly decrease next season but the board have done so well to break into the local community. Anyway this threads not about Arbroath, it’s a discussion for the teams who could possibly be relegated / come up…. We’re safe 😉

9 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Not convinced. Another season or two scrapping around the bottom of the Championship, winning little more than a half dozen games a season, and their support will go back to what it was just a few years ago.

As Hamilton know very well, when the relative success of a golden period dries up, those that came along for the ride drift away again.

The current good Arbroath home support and I applaud them for that, may  start to diminish the same way The Accies support slowly ebbed away after constant relegation fights winning a handful of home games a season.

The difference though is they have a Board of Directors who support their Club,have the best interests of the club at heart and crucially engage positively with the support.This  can carry a club through problems as this season has shown.

Meanwhile,The "Owners" at Accies have ruined the best set up since the 1930's after Sir Alex Neil left with their frugality, bad decision making and constant  hostility towards the supporters.

Now,we are in a scenario where it is only doom and gloom whatever the outcome of The Play Offs.

Still,despite the dross on the pitch,I have no fears of the Play Offs.None of the League Two sides are as good as those we have played in recent weeks and we only lost points in those games due to comedy defending at our end.

I predicted ages ago we would shit-fest our way to winning any Play Offs and it wouldn't surprise me if we only score 1-2 goals maximum and win both ties accordingly.

3 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

If you had sold more tickets you would have got more terrace.

Well, no, that doesn't really address the point made.

Here's a list of your attendances this year

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/arbroath/attendances

With the exception of Dundee and Motherwell, I doubt the number of tickets Hamilton fans bought on Friday was significantly lower than most of the other matches (including our previous visit) where away fans had the terrace behind the goal.

Sections A&B of the stand plus the wee bit of terracing would comfortably hold the away support every week in this league if that is the angle you wish to take.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

As much as Falkirk staying down would be funny,  I'm happy enough for them to come up and for McGlynn to set fire to their budget.

Sure he could manage that in League 1 as well.

2 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Still,despite the dross on the pitch,I have no fears of the Play Offs.None of the League Two sides are as good as those we have played in recent weeks and we only lost points in those games due to comedy defending at our end.

I predicted ages ago we would shit-fest our way to winning any Play Offs and it wouldn't surprise me if we only score 1-2 goals maximum and win both ties accordingly.

Pity you've got to beat league one sides though.

4 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Ayr fans seemed a tad offended when you played at Alloa a few years ago.

However, I'd also prefer Alloa or possibly Airdrie.

Basically anyone but Falkirk.

That was back when they were always cheatin’. 

13 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Ok, i'll bite. What, exactly, do Arbroath bring to the table that Hamilton don't?

Terracing. 

Nice toon to visit. 

Smoked fish. 

Alloa are one of these teams where our record probably isn't that bad but I can only remember the defeats. Airdrie would probably be my preference as at least the games have a bit of an edge but suspect Falkirk are probably going to do it.