Airdrie v Falkirk, 1st leg

I like McCabe but he drops too deep when playing as a holding midfielder for my liking and it leaves a massive gap between defence and midfield that can be exploited. Our record since McMaster came in has been much better and it’s no coincidence. McCabe will play at some point I’m sure but I’d be starting McMaster.

9 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I like McCabe but he drops too deep when playing as a holding midfielder for my liking and it leaves a massive gap between defence and midfield that can be exploited. Our record since McMaster came in has been much better and it’s no coincidence. McCabe will play at some point I’m sure but I’d be starting McMaster.

Agreed. We play our best football with McMaster sitting higher up the pitch, allowing Frizzell and Devenny to push higher and find gaps. McCabe is a better footballer than McMaster and Devenny but we have a better balance with him at the back or ideally in the dugout. They played well in the second half at Falkirk last time, after we ditched the weird man marking thing we seemed to be doing in the first half with McMaster, Frizzell and Devenny following Kucheriayvi, Henderson and McGinn all over the pitch. 

We’re not really a team that can sit in, so I’d like to us go with energy from the start, play at a high tempo and then bring on Telfer/McCabe if we need a bit more composure on the ball.

Edited by Mr November

13 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Agreed. We play our best football with McMaster sitting higher up the pitch, allowing Frizzell and Devenny to push higher and find gaps. McCabe is a better footballer than McMaster and Devenny but we have a better balance with him at the back or ideally in the dugout. They played well in the second half at Falkirk last time, after we ditched the weird man marking thing we seemed to be doing in the first half with McMaster, Frizzell and Devenny following Kucheriayvi, Henderson and McGinn all over the pitch. 

We’re not really a team that can sit in, so I’d like to us go with energy from the start, play at a high tempo and then bring on Telfer/McCabe if we need a bit more composure on the ball.

I really don't get McMaster, yes neat and tidy, mainly in an insignificant area of pitch but I can't see any great attributes that he has, can't head the ball, can't beat a man, can't shoot, easily outmuscled and not particularly quick but hope he proves me wrong and I'll gladly devour a large portion of humble pie.

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Also our style of play is very laboured most of the time. We pass the life out the ball, create nothing and often get hit by the quicker play of our opponents. Seems to be the modern philosophy in football that you have to pass the ball hundreds of times before you have a shot. I’m maybe too old but I can’t be arsed with this fixation on playing out from the back and pissing about before getting it forward.

I do think there’s a place for slower build-up like taking the sting out of a game if winning or even having a breather if it’s been a hectic game but generally, I agree, we’re too slow.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

I really don't get McMaster, yes neat and tidy, mainly in an insignificant area of pitch but I can't see any great attributes that he has, can't head the ball, can't beat a man, can't shoot, easily outmuscled and not particularly quick but hope he proves me wrong and I'll gladly devour a large portion of humble pie.

I’m not as sold on him as many but I think it’s more his positioning than anything else. McCabe drops far too deep and it’s notable that our midfield are generally in a better shape with McMaster at the base. We concede fewer goals from just outside the box too, something that happened frequently in the first half of the season. McCabe is undoubtedly a better player but McMaster playing there gives the team more balance.

4 hours ago, Passionate said:

Hopefully a classic over the two legs,   My prediction is boring 1 each at the Excelsior winner takes all on Saturday at Grangemouth....     canny wait...

I would take that tbh.

13 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

I wouldn't. I'm more confident of getting a result there than I am at home.

This is my fear as well, game in the balance with a big crowd at TFS, lots at stake and we know what usually happens with certain Falkirk players.

15 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

I wouldn't. I'm more confident of getting a result there than I am at home.

We could very easily win 3-1 through there and lose 4-1 at home - Airdrie are that bonkers a team.

I think we'll have to outscore them - no 'keep it tight and pinch a 1-0' in either leg here, especially the home leg I reckon.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I think we'll have to outscore them - no 'keep it tight and pinch a 1-0' in either leg here, especially the home leg I reckon.

Call me old fashioned, but I’d have thought outscoring your opponent is the absolute minimum to win a game of football?

6 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

4 hours ago, Mr November said:

I’m not as sold on him as many but I think it’s more his positioning than anything else. McCabe drops far too deep and it’s notable that our midfield are generally in a better shape with McMaster at the base. We concede fewer goals from just outside the box too, something that happened frequently in the first half of the season. McCabe is undoubtedly a better player but McMaster playing there gives the team more balance.

McMaster is quite a basic player, but it's not about a comparison between 2 individuals, it's about what they bring to the team. Mr November has covered the reasons perfectly.

I feel like when it comes to McCabe playing in midfield we are still living in a world of theory when it should be based on evidence given he has been here 2 years and must have played between 20-30 games in centre midfield between the first half of last season and this season. I literally couldn't name you a single game where I've felt he has stood out playing there. He sits too deep, can't go with runners, slows the game by taking too many touches and is too interested in playing Hollywood passes when actually simple 10 yard passes through the lines is what we need. We need Frizz on the half turn inside the opposition half and McMaster is better at playing that ball into him.

I think midfield is the weakest part of our team so there isn't a perfect option, I think we'll get dominated in there whatever we do so we need to find a way to stop us getting over run when out of possession, and getting it quickly up the park when in possession.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

9 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

McMaster is quite a basic player, but it's not about a comparison between 2 individuals, it's about what they bring to the team. Mr November has covered the reasons perfectly.

I feel like when it comes to McCabe playing in midfield we are still living in a world of theory when it should be based on evidence given he has been here 2 years and must have played between 20-30 games in centre midfield between the first half of last season and this season. I literally couldn't name you a single game where I've felt he has stood out playing there. He sits too deep, can't go with runners, slows the game by taking too many touches and is too interested in playing Hollywood passes when actually simple 10 yard passes through the lines is what we need. We need Frizz on the half turn inside the opposition half and McMaster is better at playing that ball into him.

I think midfield is the weakest part of our team so there isn't a perfect option, I think we'll get dominated in there whatever we do so we need to find a way to stop us getting over run when out of possession, and getting it quickly up the park when in possession.

Dominate the midfield of a decent side? Falkirk? Come on now, keep the comic cuts for after the game(s).

6 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

If he hasn't convinced you since he's came in during the run in he probably never will tbf. 

I personally really like him as i think he reads the game well and is a good passer that knows when to keep it simple. 

Like our first goal against Edinburgh he wins the ball and delays the pass until the right time and gets the assist.

One of those players that you probably notice more when they're not there.

I've sometimes questioned the game management over the season but now I'm glad McCabe insists on going for it every game, because that's the best chance we'll have of beating Falkirk.

With their pace on the counter, rotations etc they are a handful but there's still massive defensive problems there - plus - I still think there's something stinking out the changing room that's a hangover from the Holt/Sheerin/Rennie spell. A kind of losing mentality, that McGlynn is to be fair trying to weed out by the looks of it. They remain there for the taking though. I'm quietly confident, to use the cliché.

Edited by Right in the Stanchion

15 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Like our first goal against Edinburgh he wins the ball and delays the pass until the right time and gets the assist.

Mmmm, without checking, would this be his only goal contribution of the season in what was a glorified friendly.

You're right he's not for me but as I said, I hope he proves me wrong.

7 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I wouldn't say playing in a central defensive midfield position in a 4-3-3 is an 'insignificant area of the pitch' in fact I'd argue it is one of the most important areas, without a defensive midfielder to hold their position, break up the play and spray short simple passes any football team would be far too open.

Some of the traits you mention aren't relevant to a player who's job it is to a defensive midfielder. Beating a man is normally a winger or forwards job. If you look at the stats for any player that plays in a CDM (Makelele, Kante etc) their goals and assists are not that high. (not comparing McMaster to any of those players obviously). 

Dean McMaster is definitely not the finished article by any means, he does make mistakes, give the ball away and can get out muscled from time to time, but you have to remember he's a 19 year old and it's his first season of senior football.

He has done really well since coming into the team and IMO deserves to start the game tomorrow night, rumours we've signed him permanently so looks like he'll be with us next season.

Rhys McCabe was my favourite player last season and his best performances for Airdrie by far is when he's played at centre back. If the manager has to start, he has to be st centre back.