Knock-on Effects on Division One Clubs if a New Conference League Happens

FWIW. This is how, using current teams, Division One could have looked if the B teams were to work their way up to this Division. No Montrose, Kelty Hearts, Clyde and Peterhead. FC Edinburgh and maybe Queen of the South headed down too to Division Two. The current league table would read:

Division One

Dunfermline

Falkirk

Airdrieonians

Alloa Athletic

Aberdeen B

Celtic B

Hearts B

Rangers B

FC Edinburgh

Queen of the South

But they can't get promoted out of the Conference, so it's more a waiting room for the lowland and highland league teams that are on the up. It's a complete nonsense idea. However the main impact I think will be on the exorbitant costs for the non B teams competing and the lack of loans coming from the teams having to run 2 competitive squads.

The money would be far better spent making the reserve league more competitive so teams take it seriously and young players can play against older pros.

We know that the big teams don't think that using the lower leagues to further player development is a good idea because when Rangers started again they used a crock of shite to get up rather than their academy and how many other players have come through from the B teams for Celtic and Rangers into the first team fold?

59 minutes ago, Dev said:

FWIW. This is how, using current teams, Division One could have looked if the B teams were to work their way up to this Division. No Montrose, Kelty Hearts, Clyde and Peterhead. FC Edinburgh and maybe Queen of the South headed down too to Division Two. The current league table would read:

Division One

Dunfermline

Falkirk

Airdrieonians

Alloa Athletic

Aberdeen B

Celtic B

Hearts B

Rangers B

FC Edinburgh

Queen of the South

Would it, aye? 

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Division One

Dunfermline

Falkirk

Airdrieonians

Alloa Athletic

Aberdeen B

Celtic B

Hearts B

Rangers B

FC Edinburgh

Queen of the South

Behave.

The Conference on the face of it seems daft but I'd need to see more detail on it. This nonsense above though is just sensationalist scaremongering.

A far bigger concern from league 1 clubs really as @101 already said is the potential impact on loans at this level.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

A far bigger concern from league 1 clubs really as @101 already said is the potential impact on loans at this level.

I was speaking to my mate about this very thing the other day, and he made a reasonably decent point.

If the bigger clubs in the pyramid have colts teams and as a result loan out less players, it does mean that more players are going to be employed by clubs. From a human point of view, it's probably better in that respect as it may result in more players being given contracts as opposed to potentially being out the game.

There aren't too many loans from Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen etc that have made too much of a difference to the PT clubs in the division anyway as far as I'm aware (speaking mostly with my Clyde hat on).

19 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I was speaking to my mate about this very thing the other day, and he made a reasonably decent point.

If the bigger clubs in the pyramid have colts teams and as a result loan out less players, it does mean that more players are going to be employed by clubs. From a human point of view, it's probably better in that respect as it may result in more players being given contracts as opposed to potentially being out the game.

There aren't too many loans from Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen etc that have made too much of a difference to the PT clubs in the division anyway as far as I'm aware (speaking mostly with my Clyde hat on).

..........which will in turn be inherently more expensive for the clubs. I'm sure Clyde will be happy for their squad to cost more.

Maybe not this season, and it's probably true that their better loanees are destined for full time clubs rather than part time ones, but certainly from our point of view we've had some very good loans from Rangers in the last few seasons (McCrorie, Maxwell, Breen, Mebude). You'd need to go back a good bit further but Joe Thomson from Celtic (twice) was outstanding for us. We've got Cammy Logan on loan from Hearts now who has done ok. Kevin Dabrowski on loan from Hibs too who has helped enormously, though he'd not have been in their B team set up anyway. We don't tend to get loans from Aberdeen due to the geography of it though we did have Tom Ritchie on loan for a month or so early season. He never played for us but he was 1st team for Peterhead most of the season and clubs like them do well from Aberdeen and Dundee United loans. Most of the Angus clubs do too.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

..........which will in turn be inherently more expensive for the clubs. I'm sure Clyde will be happy for their squad to cost more.

Yeah of course, I'm just making an attempt at playing Devil's Advocate. It's basically going to be a trigger for PT clubs to have to use their budgets more wisely.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

McCrorie, Maxwell, Breen, Mebude

Joe Thomson

Cammy Logan

Kevin Dabrowski

Tom Ritchie 

That's the difference between PT and FT in this league and kind of highlights my point. Teams like Queens get the above, whereas in the past few seasons we've had the likes of Kyle Bradley and Zac Butterworth. The best we've had is §Scott Banks. Ewan Otoo was ok but even then he was so young and raw it was hard to get a read on him. For the most part, the've been a waste of time. For every Scott Banks we get, there's been about seven Cammy Palmers.

A 10 team league with FOUR b-teams is just a non-starter. If they absolutely must be in the pyramid (and I like many would prefer they were not) it has to be in a bigger league like it is now in lowland league to dilute the number of times you need to play them and to reduce the impact of their erratic team selections on the sporting integrity of the league.

The problem is that playing at lowland league level is not a high enough standard to develop players for the best teams. Of course the conference league idea does nothing to address this which begs the question, what is the point?

If they are determined to force in b-teams (at a better level) it needs to be part of a wider review. Something like a 12 team premier, 16 team championship and the remaining 14 teams forming a division with 4 b-teams would be the best of a bad bunch possibly. It would avoid relegating everyone in the pyramid, in fact it would effectively promote everyone by removing a tier. It would also be a must to introduce automatic promotion/relegation between the third tier and highland/lowland league.

However, none of this seems better than just loaning players out to a decent level IMO.

6 hours ago, Dev said:

Division One

Dunfermline

Falkirk

Airdrieonians

Alloa Athletic

Aberdeen B

Celtic B

Hearts B

Rangers B

FC Edinburgh

Queen of the South

Hearts B finished 5th bottom of LL ???

6 hours ago, Dev said:

Division One

Dunfermline

Falkirk

Airdrieonians

Alloa Athletic

Aberdeen B

Celtic B

Hearts B

Rangers B

FC Edinburgh

Queen of the South

This is sensational pish.

Hats off!

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

I noticed the reserve league was back in play this year why can't they just be told to play their youngsters in that instead of all this b team pish. Worked for years before they scrapped the reserve league.

And through in any league teams under 20s that want in could probably get a league of at least 16-18 and let them dad on 

7 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

That's the difference between PT and FT in this league and kind of highlights my point. Teams like Queens get the above, whereas in the past few seasons we've had the likes of Kyle Bradley and Zac Butterworth. The best we've had is §Scott Banks. Ewan Otoo was ok but even then he was so young and raw it was hard to get a read on him. For the most part, the've been a waste of time. For every Scott Banks we get, there's been about seven Cammy Palmers.

Well to be fair, barring Logan and Dabrowski, the rest of those were loaned to us when we were in the Championship and Dabrowski I think is hers more because of Marvin Bartley personally rather than anything to do with the club.

Dabrowski also had a previous loan with part time Dumbarton. And Cammy Logan was on loan to Kelty for the first half of the season and has had previous loans with Edinburgh City and Cove.

19 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

The other way of looking at that is that player wages will drop. If clubs don't have any increase in income, but suddenly need to employ 4 more players because they can't get loanees then their budget will be spread more thinly and they won't be able to offer as much to each player.

The whole B team thing is nonsense on so many levels. In general, the best way to bridge the gap between youths and professional level is to have a thriving reserve league. And on top of that if you have a quality youngster who you want getting first team football put him out on loan to a lower league club of your choice where you know he'll get looked after, but also get challenged playing amongst experienced professionals playing for their livelihoods. That experience does far more for a player than continuing in their own wee bubble at their club, surrounded by their mates and playing against really poor players.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The other way of looking at that is that player wages will drop. If clubs don't have any increase in income, but suddenly need to employ 4 more players because they can't get loanees then their budget will be spread more thinly and they won't be able to offer as much to each player.

The whole B team thing is nonsense on so many levels. In general, the best way to bridge the gap between youths and professional level is to have a thriving reserve league. And on top of that if you have a quality youngster who you want getting first team football put him out on loan to a lower league club of your choice where you know he'll get looked after, but also get challenged playing amongst experienced professionals playing for their livelihoods. That experience does far more for a player than continuing in their own wee bubble at their club, surrounded by their mates and playing against really poor players.

You can see the point if it improved the parent club and was good for Scottish football in general .up to now just seems a piece of nonsense to suit certain clubs ,