🔵⚪️St Johnstone v Dundee United🟠⚫️ 06/05/23

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Hard to see exactly how Ayina was covering anything at the point of Mulgrew’s foul…641DC1C9-722B-4D43-95A6-70FAFFA5D229.thumb.jpeg.96d02c8c8a4f158d0f7b58ce6830a6f1.jpeg

Correct. No danger he is catching up with Hallberg before he has a shooting opportunity. 

Still surprised the ref produced the red due to it being a bit wide though. 

Not that it really helped us any. We went into our shell after the red card. Thought we were far better 11 v 11.

Edited by Sh*teAndMuck

4 minutes ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

Correct. No danger he is catching up with Hallberg before he has a shooting opportunity. 

Still surprised the ref produced the red due to it being a bit wide though. 

Not that it really helped us any. We went into our shell after the red card. Thought we were far better 11 v 11.

That needs to be the end of the Bair experiment. We're a man down when he plays.

Great three points, and a committed performance from the players.

Good to see a back four do a decent job for us for 90 minutes. Thought Gordon and Considine played Fletcher well overall.  Would love a striker of that quality leading the line for us, he’d be an ideal partner for May.

Agree with Marley in that it was very poor quality. Two sides who deserve to be near the bottom.

Some absolutely brain dead football in the last 15 minutes to hand Utd the initiative time after time.

Yes we looked more competitive and tried to play a bit more passing, but the biggest difference was we were lucky in the end. A month ago Fletcher’s shot goes in, or the Utd player gets on the end of that cross late on to poke it home.

But will take it all day long. Just confirm safety as soon as we can now and get this season over with.

Niskinen is one of the dirtiest wee players I’ve seen in a long time.  Every tackle was a cowardly late studs up lunge, mostly on Montgomery, and then the late charge where he got booked. He should have seen red yesterday.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Don't think Mulgrew has committed his foul yet in this picture?

That was as close a frame as I could pull to the point of contact, but that is at the point Mulgrew has made his movement to raise his leg and bring down Hallberg. Even taking it a second later, when Hallberg is almost on the deck, Ayina is still at least 35 yards from goal.

For me Hallberg was overwhelmingly likely to take the next touch on the ball if Mulgrew doesn't take him out. Ayina would have done well to be back in the box before Hallberg gets a shot in. Birighitti may have come off his line (from a standing start) to close it down but realistically all he's going to be able to do is try to shut down the angles for Hallberg to aim at. The likelihood is Hallberg takes a touch on the ball no more than 15 yards from goal, just inside the box, with no defender on their feet within 15 yards of him. All he has to do is take one simple touch inside from that position to leave himself an extremely good chance.

43 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

A month ago Fletcher’s shot goes in, or the Utd player gets on the end of that cross late on to poke it home.

And it probably leads to a 1-0 loss because we've not scored and have decided to sit in for a point in the last 15 minutes, much like at Dens about a year ago.

I'm going to do that thing of trying to apply common sense to laws with little room for manoeuvre.

I think the combination of the level of the opportunity and the fact it's a deliberate action to bring him down pushes it towards a red. But maybe the laws don't allow for that sort of interpretation?

A simple mistimed tackle and I'm disappointed if our player sees red in that wide area of the pitch but add in the stupidity and it makes it harder to feel aggrieved.

10 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

And you can be sure that it will be on target and will make the keeper work, I'm not sure I've ever seen Hallberg put one wide of goal.

Was just about to say this. If there’s anybody in that Saints team I want one-on-one, it’s him. Motherwell away the prime example

I think the lack of composure and the last 15 minutes was always inevitable in a team that hasn’t won in months, let alone a home win. So I understand why it happened as frustrating as it was. As others have alluded to, playing people in their correct positions brings the best out of them. That’s the best Gordon, Hallberg and Carey have arguably played all season simply by being asked to play their game and not something they aren’t capable of. Hallberg especially was getting in good forward position s all game and actually his ability to make late runs is really, really good. We all knew that, but for whatever reason Davidson was unwilling to let him free up the pitch. Still not convinced about May as a lone striker, but yesterday was far better from him and the team, my main issue is that if it’s not to feet we’re immediately giving the ball up. 

Overall we deserved to win yesterday, a little more composure in the final third and we get 2/3 more goals, but ultimately the points are the most important thing and results went our way, so can’t complain. 2 games in and MacLean and the players have managed to galvanise the supporters and get them back on side, it really goes to show how bad it got over the last 12-18 months. 

30 minutes ago, Radford said:

Please don't give the authorities ideas, guys.

Now, in addition to VAR, we'll have some geek checking the xG of players to determine whether something was a goalscoring opportunity.

If they work out the xG against of the goalkeeper as well United could be fucked wherever a tackle is made...

3 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Hard to see exactly how Ayina was covering anything at the point of Mulgrew’s foul…641DC1C9-722B-4D43-95A6-70FAFFA5D229.thumb.jpeg.96d02c8c8a4f158d0f7b58ce6830a6f1.jpeg

16 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

The red no matter how poor

In what way is it poor?

No real issues with the red card really. Would have Hallberg have scored? Not for me, but he only has to have a clear shot at goal which he could easily have had. Mulgrew is an arsehole who should be hounded out of Tannadice at the earliest opportunity.

Eta I don't think anyone is biting, treehousetam so maybe best to give it a rest before you have an aneurysm.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

Who would have thought playing players in their natural positions would result in better shape and performance.

Still not brilliant in anyway but it's pleasing seeing a back 4 again, and more bodies inside the box when we attack. 

Still lots of work to be done but if you keep trying the shot/getting bodies in there, eventually more will go your way. 

A lot of similarity to some of Tommy Wright's team yesterday. 

Edited by perthsaint1977

Liked the warm up of practicising getting bodies in the box, and how to react with different deliveries etc.

Much better than just having folk endlessly shoot from 16 yards. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

In what way is it poor?

Sorry that was a typo, that should be "Ref". The Mulgrew tackle happened right in front where I was in the stand. Mulgrew clearly lifted his leg to impede the Saint's player. A clear professional foul. Another poor decision from Mulgrew this season.

2 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

No real issues with the red card really. Would have Hallberg have scored? Not for me, but he only has to have a clear shot at goal which he could easily have had. Mulgrew is an arsehole who should be hounded out of Tannadice at the earliest opportunity.

Eta I don't think anyone is biting, treehousetam so maybe best to give it a rest before you have an aneurysm.

Stating the obvious that you're all orange clad no righters isn't expecting bites by the way.