The Mo v The Wasps

results last week makes this game more than the expected dead rubber for Montrose.  A few weeks ago I thought we had no chance of a playoff spot but now we have an outside chance of sneaking in the back door.  Be good to get a win and take it to the last Saturday of the season.

However, we've not beaten Alloa in the league since 19Oatcake!!

All we need is a draw to secure the playoffs. Wouldn't be surprised if we lose on Saturday then need a point on the last day. I don't see Rice setting up for a draw, I remember him saying in an interview he sets out to win every game.

We were poor against Falkirk and individual mistakes didn't help. Hopefully Taggs and Donnelly are fit.

17 hours ago, mo83 said:

Could be a cracker this!!

Could be. Montrose really need to win by at least two and preferably three goals though barring something daft happening in the last week. Whilst not ideal, a 1-0 Montrose win is ok for Alloa. It would still leave them 3 points and 5 goals ahead going into the final week.

(well relative to Montrose & Queen of the South it would be anyway, I accept it leaves Edinburgh very much in the equation). Point is Montrose really need to push for goals.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Could be. Montrose really need to win by at least two and preferably three goals though barring something daft happening in the last week. Whilst not ideal, a 1-0 Montrose win is ok for Alloa. It would still leave them 3 points and 5 goals ahead going into the final week.

(well relative to Montrose & Queen of the South it would be anyway, I accept it leaves Edinburgh very much in the equation). Point is Montrose really need to push for goals.

All out attack it has to be!

Few players missing last week so hopefully some of them are back and we are right up for this game.

I wasn't able to watch this online as planned. Glad I saved the £12.50 on what appears to have been a total damp squib of a match from a Mo perspective. Well done Alloa. You tore the Mo a new one yet again. Results like todays, show how far off the pace we have fallen this season. The first since we came up that I sense we've gone backwards rather than forwards. Stewart Petrie has earned the right to be cut some slack, bearing in mind what he has achieved up till now. He needs to show his mettle now though and rebuild the team, moving on those who have served well but who now need to make way for players who have as much to offer now as the old guard did a few years back. Experience is great but it has to have legs that can do something with it.

We need new players, better players if Stewart Petrie can get them in to play for us.

Finishing seventh this season, isn't going to make that task one bit easier as we are seen as a team avoiding the drop instead of pushing for promotion.

This ship needs turning round and it isn't going to be quick or easy.

Great result for us, hopefully give a bit of a confidence boost going into the playoffs. Means we can afford to rest a few players next weekend against Dunfermline.

Nice to see Devine get back on the pitch too.

Even by Montrose standards that was a cold afternoon for late April.

We maintained our remarkable league record at Links Park with a surprisingly comfortable win. It was vintage stuff from Messrs Graham and Cawley today, the latter taking a sublime first touch before opening the scoring.

Miller's goal was a good finish too, and getting into the playoffs has to be regarded as a success for this season even if for the most part we've been less than scintillating.

As good as we were this afternoon, Montrose fans will undoubtedly be feeling short changed by their own team's display.

Expected it to be more cagey today but that was a great way to secure our playoff place. 

As said, Montrose definitely let a sizeable support down today, being very poor in the first half in particular. In saying that, I thought we looked absolutely up for the task today - even in the warm up there seemed to be a zip to things. 

Strong performances all over the pitch and given Chipper’s anger with the defending last week, he must be delighted with how the back line performed today. Wee special mention to David Devine - came in out the cold and I thought he had an excellent 45 minutes. 

The two up top put in a good shift today and delighted for Sammon getting his goals, but I thought our midfield were the real standouts. The Tiny Trio were like terriers in there today. I thought Murray Miller’s cracking goal was the icing on the cake of a very strong individual performance from him and he was the best player on the park for me. 

Nice feeling knowing we are not relying on needing anything next week, hopefully it gives us an extra couple of days to try and get some of the injured players back in time for the playoffs. 

35 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

That one lies on Petrie I am afraid, in what world did he think starting Lennox was a good idea. Coupled with the fact that webby is completely out his depth at RB.

What has been the story with Webster at right back this season? Is it just a lack of other options? Seems totally wasted being so deep as he’s always been a threat higher up the park in the past. 

1 minute ago, Kevchenko said:

What has been the story with Webster at right back this season? Is it just a lack of other options? 

Yes.  We also had  Adam Hutchison???, now at Forfar on loan, as a right back but he didn't work out.

much better display today aided by a poor Mo ,

to what extent who knows but Doyle Stanger cawley miller Graham Scougall all excellent 

pass marks for the rest too

Nice to see cammy come on albeit game was over and put in a good display too , 

Same points as Airdrie , where do we want to finish ?

would prefer 4th  personally .

Edited by Vegetableman