SPFL 2 playoffs - (Brechin,) Spartans and (another) Albion Rovers

11 hours ago, G_&_T said:

The Spartans is a bit quirky, I agree, but acceptable. It's  Caledonian Braves that I cannot bear, as it just sounds so American, as does Cumbernauld Colts, come to think of it. Additionally, I'm not sure how I would feel about a university's team playing in the SPFL. An outfit that will change their name for cash, is also not welcome (Open Goal Broomhill). Tranent need to drop 'Juniors' now they're playing in the senior league.

In fact, there's a case to be made for zero promotion/relegation spots with the Lowland League on account of their 💩 names.

Suddenly reminded of when the Binos almost became Stirling Meerkats, but I'm not convinced that our chairman wouldn't consider a similar deal if the money was right. The Alloa Admirals, perhaps. Frankly, I think we might all be a little dismayed by the views of our clubs' BoDs if enough cash was dangled.

Tranent are calling themself straightforward "Tranent FC" from next season IIRC - it was announced in February, following them uniting with the local youth club and adopting a standardised kit/etc.

Tranent_Juniors_F.C.png>>>>>342192299_781407970003867_83480571119071

Edited by HibeeJibee

12 hours ago, G_&_T said:

It's  Caledonian Braves that I cannot bear, as it just sounds so American,

Count small mercies that option won-out against the contenders:

1. Alliance FC
  2. Black Falcons
  3. Caledonian Braves
  4. Copa FC
  5. Edusport Eagles
  6. Edusport Pheonix
  7. FC Tribe
  8. FC Spero
  9. Pheonix FC
  10. Lanarkshire Lynx
  11. Mondial FC
  12. Sporting Union FC
  13. FC Venom

On 21/05/2023 at 19:17, Bestsinceslicebread said:

3 up 3 down or 2 up and 2 down with 3rd bottom playoff etc..  but if you had that on the SPFL2, then when relegated from the SPFL2 there is more of a chance of coming back up. 

How is there more chance of coming back up? That would only be true if the standard of players the club manages to attract were more or less similar to as before. And as things stand that's not going to happen.

2 hours ago, BTFD said:

Suddenly reminded of when the Binos almost became Stirling Meerkats, but I'm not convinced that our chairman wouldn't consider a similar deal if the money was right. The Alloa Admirals, perhaps. Frankly, I think we might all be a little dismayed by the views of our clubs' BoDs if enough cash was dangled.

Red Bull Methil 🐮 

- still doesn’t sound as ridiculous as FC Edinburgh. 

1 hour ago, rockson said:

How is there more chance of coming back up? That would only be true if the standard of players the club manages to attract were more or less similar to as before. And as things stand that's not going to happen.

The past few season, the Lowland winners have relegated club 42 and there is a good sign that this will continue for a few years as the standard of the Lowland league is rising each year. Most of the clubs in the SPFL2 have voted for no relegation but there will always be one of those clubs who end up club 42 and most don't expect them to survive against the Lowland winners. Again as this year, I expect Brechin to win the Highland league next year but will lose to the Lowland champions.
So if it does go by what i expect then club 42 will spend a number of years in the Lowland as have East Stirlingshire, Berwick Rangers, Cowdenbeath have done and I don't see them being champions any time soon. SO if there was 2 up 2 down and say the 3rd bottom of the SPFL 2 end up in a playoff with 2nd place Lowland and Highland that means the former SPFL 2 clubs have more chance of regarding SPFL2 status the following year as a couple of teams can possibly can go up. it would also make it more exiting at the end of the season, the only people who wont enjoy it are the fans whose teams are relegated but that's only natural   I genuinely expect Cowdenbeath, Berwick and East Stirlingshire to be stronger next year but I expect a few more teams in the lowland to be stronger that this year also

9 hours ago, virginton said:

Coatbridge is an annex of Glasgow about 5 miles away from Celtic Park, with a relatively large (socially) Catholic demographic who would traipse over that way on a Saturday afternoon regardless of the glory-hunting opportunity. To lecture the committee of AR for not doing enough to raise local interest without acknowledging that context is just posturing nonsense. 

The demise of Albion Rovers is not caused by their blazers being less effective or skilled for the 21st century than Spartans or other entrant clubs. 

No lecturing the committee, clearly they have problems, finishing bottom this year, 3rd bottom the previous year and then 4th bottom the year before that.
Whatever they have done in those years has not been enough and the warning signs were there.  Regards bringing fans in, More can always be done to bring in new blood and not just AR but also every club in Scotland but that's only a snippit, there's sponsorship can always be bettered, community interest/inclusion can be looked at, any idea and all ideas can help.   Have the committee of AR done all that, I have no frigging idea but as I said the warning signs where there for years and it seems nothing has been done about it unless they constantly tried their best but now they are relegated

39 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

No lecturing the committee, clearly they have problems, finishing bottom this year, 3rd bottom the previous year and then 4th bottom the year before that.
Whatever they have done in those years has not been enough and the warning signs were there.  Regards bringing fans in, More can always be done to bring in new blood and not just AR but also every club in Scotland but that's only a snippit, there's sponsorship can always be bettered, community interest/inclusion can be looked at, any idea and all ideas can help.   Have the committee of AR done all that, I have no frigging idea but as I said the warning signs where there for years and it seems nothing has been done about it unless they constantly tried their best but now they are relegated

When Albion Rovers went on their cup run a few years ago they literally let folk pay what they wanted for season tickets the following season and still didn't see any long term gain from it. Perhaps if you have no frigging idea then refraining from commenting on the topic might be the best course of action. 

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

When Albion Rovers went on their cup run a few years ago they literally let folk pay what they wanted for season tickets the following season and still didn't see any long term gain from it. Perhaps if you have no frigging idea then refraining from commenting on the topic might be the best course of action

Pmsl, its a football forum isn't it, or don't you realize that

Honestly talk about cliques, you get the shit chat with the ex juniors on here who still cling to the old junior days and then you get the SPFL2 peeps who deny anything is wrong and anyone outside of the SPFL2 fans base are not allowed to make comments on whats been happening on here and who are unhappy with the new starts in the Lowland and EOSFL and WOSFL
I've given basic factual information and also hypothetical ones and its not even having a dig at Albion Rovers. The no frigging idea comment is two fold ffs, yes I do not know what the committee, chairman have done to improve the situation they found their selves in for many years but it does look from the Outside that nothing has been done to improve Albion Rovers. .  First of all thanks for the comment about their Scottish cup run, that means they were trying but If AR went hyper and tired everything then it means that Albion were just not good enough for this level anymore and will find their level

On 20/05/2023 at 19:10, Blue Oktober said:

Can you please clarify what measures  you are basing this statememt on, also is that view purely contemporary  or are you looking the overall history of both clubs?

The fact that Cliftonville is a dump. You can't even be bothered to clean the stand windows to let folk see out the stand properly. 

On 20/05/2023 at 22:17, Zanetti said:

Load of pish. Those clubs do well because they're big fish in a small pond. I'd love to see their attendances after floundering for 20 years in 4th tier with it costing twice as much to get in.

The issue is Linlithgow has a large supports lounge which is well used pre match to generate income. Albion rovers have home bargains over the road. 

11 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Agreed. I'd also extend that to current SPFL sides who make shite name changes, namely "FC Edinburgh". This isn't the fucking MLS.

To be fair, they imitated Barcelona in doing that, but I agree with you to a large extent.

1 hour ago, G_&_T said:

To be fair, they imitated Barcelona in doing that, but I agree with you to a large extent.

Aye, but it's a total cringey MLS thing to do to try and imitate the names of clubs like Barcelona.

On 22/05/2023 at 06:24, G_&_T said:

The Spartans is a bit quirky, I agree, but acceptable. It's  Caledonian Braves that I cannot bear, as it just sounds so American, as does Cumbernauld Colts, come to think of it. Additionally, I'm not sure how I would feel about a university's team playing in the SPFL. An outfit that will change their name for cash, is also not welcome (Open Goal Broomhill). Tranent need to drop 'Juniors' now they're playing in the senior league.

In fact, there's a case to be made for zero promotion/relegation spots with the Lowland League on account of their 💩 names.

It should be a condition of membership of the SPFL that a team's name does not include the words 'the' or ‘juniors' or ‘university', can only have 'FC' after and not before the location, and cannot include the name of another club. 

9 hours ago, foreverarover said:

The fact that Cliftonville is a dump. You can't even be bothered to clean the stand windows to let folk see out the stand properly. 

Good reason for not allowing Irish teams into the Challenge Cup then

52 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

It should be a condition of membership of the SPFL that a team's name does not include the words 'the' or ‘juniors' or ‘university', can only have 'FC' after and not before the location, and cannot include the name of another club. 

Bad news for Queen of the South and Dundee United.

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

more than a few teams don't exactly have the location in their names to begin with