SPFL 2 playoffs - (Brechin,) Spartans and (another) Albion Rovers

16 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

That will be a first then.

Vast majority of the fans there today will probably never enter that ground ever again.

Not sure if you are having a dig at fairweather fans turning up for a massive game or claiming that the Rovers loyal wont bother their arse returning because they have been relegated. 

Either way it’s a load of pish. Name me a club in Scotland and beyond that doesn’t attract fairweather fans for important games. If it’s the latter then why would they suddenly stop turning up due to relegation?

I’m fairly certain the couple of thousand folk who turned up to the first leg aren’t die hards of the B team enablers.  

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

Don't think there is any clear favourite. EK appear to be about to splash the cash and Berwick got their act together in the second half of the season to name two examples of other clubs you can make a strong case for. 

Berwick have a good squad but I'm fairly confident while Stuart Malcolm is manager that it won't be them. 

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Not sure if you are having a dig at fairweather fans turning up for a massive game or claiming that the Rovers loyal wont bother their arse returning because they have been relegated. 

Either way it’s a load of pish. Name me a club in Scotland and beyond that doesn’t attract fairweather fans for important games. If it’s the latter then why would they suddenly stop turning up due to relegation?

I’m fairly certain the couple of thousand folk who turned up to the first leg aren’t die hards of the B team enablers.  

Best hope of a crowd is Celtic B at home when the big team is playing on a Sunday.

That game was absolute muck. And a penalty was the only way either team were scoring.

I'm gutted for Rovers. I couldn't understand why they were bottom after playing well in all four games against Sons. But today I got it. Short on ideas, predictable and clumsy at the back. 

Spartans were organised and little else, but never really looked in much danger. Blair Carswell in goals was very assured with what little he had to do and they defended very diligently.

Without a bit of strengthening I think they'll be akin to Bonnyrigg though. Well organised, good team spirit and tough to break down. But lacking quality for this level.

There's a long(ish) summer ahead for them to worry about that though. And I hope their fans enjoy their night.

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It's very sad that there are, allegedly, 6,000 Celtic season ticket holders in Coatbridge. 

I like Albion Rovers, I go to watch them frequently. But the reality is the people of Coatbridge don't usually turn out in numbers to watch them. I would have been there today, if I could have got a ticket, btw. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that would be a problem.

I will go and watch them next season at some point, but overall I think the Lowland League is tin pot, given the reserve sides. 

46 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

Mind Albion Rovers fans were seething folk had the audacity to predict them finishing bottom. 

Enjoy the Universities. 

Their official twitter account even had a wee meltdown about it. Looks pretty silly now.

Sore one for the Rovers, but there was always a sense of inevitability with them ending up in the Lowland League. 

Would hazard a guess majority of Lowland League clubs had a much better budget than them before a ball was kicked. Would be surprised if they ever get back in the SPFL. 

1 minute ago, G_&_T said:

It's very sad that there are, allegedly, 6,000 Celtic season ticket holders in Coatbridge...

There will be no shortage of Rangers ones as well given the sectarian leanings of Coatbridge angle is always exaggerated a bit. Never been clear to me why there is so much less local support of Albion Rovers than is the case with Motherwell, Airdire, and Hamilton Accies. Cmon Accies finish the job now it's back to all square.

9 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

It's very sad that there are, allegedly, 6,000 Celtic season ticket holders in Coatbridge. 

I like Albion Rovers, I go to watch them frequently. But the reality is the people of Coatbridge don't usually turn out in numbers to watch them. I would have been there today, if I could have got a ticket, btw. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that would be a problem.

I will go and watch them next season at some point, but overall I think the Lowland League is tin pot, given the reserve sides. 

Yeah the population of Coatbridge to attendance ratio is drastic.

Sad to see the only club in Lanarkshire from the SPFL that has never gone bust, ended up in administration or signed a rapist drop out to be replaced by the Scottish equivalent of Barnet.

Congrats to Spartans but you let the B Teams in, SPFL beware.