Airdrieonians v The Champions

6 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Given Airdrie credit this season. But if you can’t win when you’re 3 goals ahead or have a 2 man advantage, I’m afraid to say that you’re just not very good

I think there’s something in that. I’d have it more as Dunfermline’s resilience being key to your title win and both those outcomes. You showed what you should do when Down in numbers. Solid in formation, offer no space and everyone do your job.

Both games we were naïve. 2 of your goals in the comeback were pile drivers. One of which was deflected. We’ve plenty of guys who can hit them but seemed determined to walk the ball in. 

I was also impressed by your first half performance. League won but players clearly up for the game and better side first half. Thought we were really good second half until the dismissals!!

41 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Truthfully wasn't paying attention with the first red, and the camera is at the wrong side of the pitch for the second (Do Airdrie film there highlights from the home stand?), it happened right in front of the Dunfermline bench and the management team were pretty raging at the referee.

I thought the first was a stick on a the second wasn't, if that's any help. I think it's fair to say Craig Watson made the most of it, from where I was. (About 20 yards away).

7 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Solid in formation, offer no space and everyone do your job.

I was also impressed by your first half performance. League won but players clearly up for the game and better side first half. Thought we were really good second half until the dismissals!!

Agree with this also. First half Dunfermline played some nice stuff and it had been 2-2 at half time I don't think anyone could have complained.

When down to 9, we were limited to sideways passing with absolutely no room for manoeuvre on the box. Take the point and move on. 

On 20/04/2023 at 19:44, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Do us a favour, lads. 

On 20/04/2023 at 19:57, Weegie Par said:

No problem. How many goals head start would you like this time?

No problem. How many players would you like us to have this time?* 

Fair play to Dunfermline. Two on the pitch, one on the bench and two in the stand all sent packing is some going.

Seriously though, they showed us how to play after a red card or two, something we’ve really struggled with this season. There were groans in the stand and I disagreed and thought we were doing the right thing by being patient in the hunt for a goal, but as the space never opened up I too got a bit frustrated. Hardly a shot on goal against 9 men is criminal.

Firstly, main thing today was getting the point to ensure top four, so job done. I’ve said before I don’t really care where we finish, I don’t think home advantage counts for much so the fact we’re in there is all that matters. 

Dunfermline are a horrible team to play against. I think a lot of people look at their defensive record and think they’re Duffy-esque agricultural monsters but they’re just a really solid, well-rounded team. The first 20 minutes might be the best a team has played against us all season and up until the first sending off it was a really even game, with both teams very up for it and playing some nice stuff. I did say when it went to nine men that Dunfermline might be the worst team to play against in that scenario and I think they showed, as they’re just so well organised and blocked any space. I was going to say I’ll be glad to see the back of them but I actually hope we meet again a few times next season!

A mixed performance from Airdrie. After a tough start we came into the game and looked more dangerous going forward. Ballantyne and Smith did well down the left, with the former my man of the match once again, he looks a different player at left back. We really struggled against a very compact nine men though. I thought we had the right idea, trying to stay calm and create an opportunity but it just didn’t work at all. McGregor was worse than a man down, he took Edwards on once, lost that battle and was then too scared to try it again. I’d have brought Salim on just to cause some chaos and give us an option for crosses. 

On the red cards, the first was as clear a red as you’ll see and I think Benedictus knew that. He’s been one of the best players in the league this season but he’s had a few tough moments against Airdrie. The second was a bit more debatable. O’Hara did raise his foot high but I was very surprised it was given as a red. I thought McPake handled the situation pretty well to be fair to him while the rest of the coaching staff were going mental. My opinion of him has went up a lot this season after seeing how he’s conducted himself in the 4-3 game and then today. 

McCabe, Fordyce, Comrie, Hamilton and Otoo must have about the lowest average height for centre backs in a League One game in a long time.

14 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Thought Ritchie-Hosler looked outstanding by the way, especially in the first half.

He’s an exceptional talent. Far too good for this level. Not sure he’ll be good enough for Rangers, but he’s one of the most entertaining players we’ve had in a long time.

That’s why Dunfermline are champions, we go down to 10 men we crumble, they go to 9 and still not good enough to break them down so credit to them, and credit to the polis hope they 2 Dunfermline fans have a lovely overnight stay in the airdrie cells! Onto the playoffs 

1 hour ago, Hughsie said:

The second best team in the league are going to finish third. Interesting.

They’ve done more against us than your bunch of shite the beds have. I’ve seen all Pars Vs Falkirk/Airdrie games this season and Airdrie have been better than Falkirk consistently. 

Will be lovely to see them sign you up for another season of L1 jobbies x

Fair play to the remaining 9, Bene is the key organiser in the team so the main worry when he went off it's that the defensive discipline would drop but it's a massive credit to Comrie, Otoo, Edwards and MacDonald especially to keeping it tight at the back.

The referee certainly had an influence on the game.  Some strange decisions either way and to pause the game as he was probably the only person who noticed/cared the Dunfermline sub goalie didn't have a bib on but failed to notice he was wearing all black himself.    🤔 

17 minutes ago, 101 said:

Fair play to the remaining 9, Bene is the key organiser in the team so the main worry when he went off it's that the defensive discipline would drop but it's a massive credit to Comrie, Otoo, Edwards and MacDonald especially to keeping it tight at the back.

Didn't Hamilton go back in to defence?

2 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

The referee certainly had an influence on the game.  Some strange decisions either way and to pause the game as he was probably the only person who noticed/cared the Dunfermline sub goalie didn't have a bib on but failed to notice he was wearing all black himself.    🤔 

I'm not sure I understand you right. Are you criticising the ref for wearing all black?

Just now, DA Baracus said:

He did, Hamilton was a straight swap for Benedictus and stayed there when O’Hara went off. It was a back five, Mochrie and Chalmers sitting and Mahon ostensibly on his own up front but mostly sitting deep too. 

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I wasn't there, I assumed it was Comrie into RCB and MacDonald in at RWB but Hamilton dropping deeper than normal would also make sense.

37 minutes ago, 101 said:

Who was that? :lol:

We all had a laugh watching a boy getting huckled out in the opposite stand and seconds later some tube started swinging at the police dragging him out and got himself huckled out too, right after Dunfermline’s goal

Edited by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds

11 minutes ago, 101 said:

I wasn't there, I assumed it was Comrie into RCB and MacDonald in at RWB but Hamilton dropping deeper than normal would also make sense.

He'll surely start there next week given the lack of options.

Fine with that. It was part of the reason he was signed. He'll also be captain next week. Really like Hamilton, he's a top player and has been a great signing.